• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untravid? (1 Viewer)

Wdh777

Going back and forth between the 8 or 10/32-42-50. What are the pros and cons? I would like a compact pair so I'm thinking of the 32 vs 42 or 50 but how will the brightness be effected? If I'm going for the 32s what do you think of the 8 vs 10? Will the 10 be difficult to steady? Thx

What duh heck (Wdh) is an Untravid? Is that what they renaming the new Trinnies? That sounds about right! :)

Couldn't resist. The ultra leicables will answer your questions shortly, but one thing's certain, if you're looking for a compact pair, the 50s are out. The 32 model is more compact than any other top tier bin in its class.

As far as your question if a 10x would be hard to steady, it will likely be harder to steady than an 8x for most users. How much more? That's a question you won't be able to answer until you A/B an 8x and 10x Untravid. If you shake too much, the extra reach you hope to gain with the 10x might be lost, and you'll see more detail over time with an 8x.

For normal birding in seasonal months, the 32s should be as bright as the 42s. On really dark overcast winter days or at dusk any time of year, the 42s will beat the 32s, and they all will beat the 10x32 model with its 3.2mm exit pupil. It's a math thing. Ask Henry.

There are always trade offs, if it's not one thing, it's another. As I always like to say, binoculars are a set of compromises (except, of course, the 8.5x SV EL for those who are not sensitive to "rolling ball" :).

You might find the 8x32s are too small for your hands. Or you might find the 10x42s have too much chromatic aberration (false color). In general, the longer the bin, the better controlled the CA in the same series. So 50s would be best in that regard if you're sensitive to CA, but then you have the extra weight to contend with.

Do you wear glasses with binoculars? In general, Leicas are not the best in that dept.

While you're waiting for members with actual field experience with the Ultras to chime in, check out the Leica reviews on allbinos to get an idea of what somebody's got to say about them (YMMV).

http://www.allbinos.com/183-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_8x32_HD.html

http://www.allbinos.com/216-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_10x42_HD.html

http://www.allbinos.com/194-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_10x50_HD.html

Brock

Last edited:
When I had my one 'no limit budget' to purchase a 'do it all alpha', I went with the 8X42 Ultravid HD's. I was very tempted by the 32mm types due to size and weight, I was very close to buying a pair of Zeiss 8x32's. The 42's twlight ability won me over.

I lugged around a pair of Leica Geovid 8x56 for a while for work, great for low light but way too heavy to be pleasurable. Turned me off heavy binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back