• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

Cheers Des - there was a subtle variation in the bill between the two birds; one was pure grey whilst the other had an orangey / pinkish hue to the lower mandible (think this is just visible on John's photo). Any experts out there able to outline the differences between female and juvenile Mandarins?

No expert - just an observation!

This wild female mandarin and her ducklings were on the Gloucester-Sharpness Canal on 2nd July 2013 - one of two broods we saw between Purton and Sharpness.

She has a clear white line at the base of a clearly orangey bill and a very strongly marked breast. All the adult collection birds I have seen have had these characteristics, as do those I have found on the Internet.

The birds in John's photograph do not have such strongly defined breast patterns, nor the white marking at the base of the bill. The left hand bird appears to have a darker bill whereas the right hand bird has some orange developing in it.
These could be the characteristics of younger birds of slightly different ages.

Margaret

Attachments

• P1110118.jpg
    P1110118.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 95
  • P1110120.jpg
    P1110120.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 107
SAILING POOL CAR PARK.

The waterside hedge and grassy area running from the gate at the sailing centre to the gate at the overflow carpark was taken down yesterday evening. The grassy area near the overflow carpark appeared to contain an Essex Skipper colony. I'm not sure what the new owners are up to .

Des.

SAILING POOL CAR PARK.

The waterside hedge and grassy area running from the gate at the sailing centre to the gate at the overflow carpark was taken down yesterday evening. The grassy area near the overflow carpark appeared to contain an Essex Skipper colony. I'm not sure what the new owners are up to .

Des.

To clarify, it is the hedge at carpark level, not anything on the bank leading to the water.

Des.

That is highly significant - I read somewhere that most if not all Dormice records in Worcestershire come from sites west of the river Severn (certainly in modern times). An as-yet unknown colony perhaps????

Any chance the photos could be posted on here?:t:

John (Weaver) is not on the internet so I made the DORMOUSE posting on his behalf. If anyone has any contact details for him can they secure his photos for publication. JS

Wonder if these are the same birds that John and I had a couple of weeks ago albeit we ID'ed them as juveniles (see JTB's photo in post #25155, though I'm no plastic duck expert)

Juvenile male and female Phil, the male obviously with the slightly pink coloured bill, Lots of juvs dispersing from my patch now so expect a few about locally. Peak count of 20 juvs this year
MB

SAILING POOL CAR PARK.

Des.

Hi Des correct. There is also a small colony in the small scrubby field right of sailing centre opposite slipway although numbers seem to be less this year than I have previously noted

Mike W reports an adult winter Med Gull in the Flashes' roost tonight plus a Polish-ringed Black-headed Gull (white TLVY)

Possible Sandwich Tern north thru Flashes at 1150 (only caught tail end of it). Also 13 Green Sand, 2 Shelduck and 4 Common Sand. 2 Little Egret and another Green Sand at the Moors Pool. Full round-up later.

FYI 2 Sandwich Terns at Westwood Pool

Due to recent incursions by Travellers in near by playing fields, the car park gates will be locked at the end of the working day at the centre. This is only a temporary situation until the Travellers have left the area.

Shame I didn't read this before going to the Flashes last night!

Friday 8th August 0900-1230

Some good coverage this morning with Bob O, Chris T, Alan H, Phil W, Phil Q, Gene, Janette and Andy P all around; unfortunately no headline bird to report.

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret, 3 Grey Heron, 1 Cormorant, 2 Mute Swan + 6 cygnets, 14 Greylag Geese, 100 Canada Geese, 2 Shoveler, 7 Teal, 131 Mallard, 18 Tufted Duck, 136 Coot, 16 Moorhen, Common Tern - 3 adults + 2 young (both capable of flight), 2 LBB Gull, 1 Green Sand, GC Grebe - 1 adults, 1 juv + 3 young, Little Grebe - adult with 2 young at north end, 4 adults and 7 juveniles ranged along the west shore from the south-wesr marsh to the north-west corner.

SAILING POOL
26 Mallard, 6 Coot, 2 adult + 3 juv GC Grebe

FLASHES
10 Green Sand (13 earlier as per Andy P), 4 Common Sand, 2 Snipe, 21 Curlew, 3 adult and 9 young Acovet (the brood of 3 all capable of flight), 2 adult + 1 juv Oystercatcher, 70 Lapwing, no LRP, 2 Shelduck, 4 Shoveler, 50 Mallard, 19 Teal, 17 Coot, 30 Moorhen, 1 LBB Gull, 1 Common Tern, 4 Raven (family party?) loitering in fields to the south and west.

The majority of the wader activity has now shifted from the saucer to the rear gulley; this is the favoured location of the likes of Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint as and when they occur.

Other recent sightings of interest include a Gadwall at the Moors Pool yesterday, a Yellow Wagtail at the Flashes (also yesterday) and a Garden Warbler near the Flashes' feeding station on the 3rd.

PS The adult winter Med Gull that Mike had last night at the Flashes roosted tonight at Westwood Pool

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back