• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hauho yardbirds (1 Viewer)

Monday, blue Monday... As I started off for work, Phylloscopus trochiloides started to sing in neighbouring forest :clap: Makes my day, especially as we are heading for the weekend (tomorrow is eve of half-week ;) ).
Parus montanus karved its nest on our yard, but then decided to lay eggs somewhere else. P major has nestlings in a box, as does P caeruleus, which was threatened by Ficedula hypoleuca in May. Motacilla alba bred in shed, but then something odd happened... A week ago I noticed the pair having sex on our lawn :eek!: , checked the nest and there was two dead chicks... Have not seen young Motacillas around (they usually have five nestlings), but the place should be unapproachable to those neighbour's cats..

Last edited:
I haven't seen a willow tit for years. They are all but extinct in this part of England :-C

Good garden list

Summer ends here in midsummer night, as birds cease singing. Anyhow, a pair of Parus cristatus appeared on our yard checking a nestbox, maybe planning the second brood. June was rather cool, this week we have had enormouns rains, and today we were happy to notice some Helvella lacunosa on our lawn. They look like Gyromitra, but are really tasty, especially when dried.

Dumetorum-July

Birdworld is now rather quiet here, only Phylloscopus collybita being heard; Orthoptera is about to take over the soundcape. But today - an invasion of Acrocephalus dumetorums: three individuals singing in broad daylight around my corner of the world.

Last edited:
Bombycilla garrulus heading for the south. A flock of 50 birds. Nearby forests full of tasty Fungi like Albatrellus ovinus, Cantharellus cibarius & tubaeformis, Craterellus cornucopioides & Hydnum repandum. If here just were not Lipoptena cervis.

Last Cantharellus were collected a week ago. Now we have a slight snow cover and today was the day to put up feeders. I only put up feeders after first snow - that is to avoid attracting migrants to stay on these corners for winter. Parus major, P. caeruleus & P. montanus appeared in few minutes.

Trying to test everyone to see if they know those birds by their scientific names? No, you just probably figure that birds have different common names in different parts of the world so you'll use the scientific ones so there will be no mistake in what you're referring to. Is that more like it?

marcus said:
use the scientific ones so there will be no mistake in what you're referring to. Is that more like it?
Yes. Scifi names are found in any decent bird book wherever world You are, using a book in whatever language. Besides I'm so lazy I do not bother learning all English (and American) names.

I know several genuses enough to recognize the word, especially if there are related birds here, so Parus is enough of a tip for me. I am too lazy to look up which species most of the time. I will most likely learn the Finnish names before the Latin.

Last edited:
Karwin said:
Last Cantharellus were collected a week ago. Now we have a slight snow cover and today was the day to put up feeders. I only put up feeders after first snow - that is to avoid attracting migrants to stay on these corners for winter. Parus major, P. caeruleus & P. montanus appeared in few minutes.

You are lucky to have these birds in your yard.I get only P.major and it is rare.P.caeruleus has become extinct since 1990... :-C

#¤&/)&=) montanus!

Here's a namethread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24777&highlight=british+american+names

We have had white landscape for one week and today we had first rain that can be called snowfall. It seemed like the snow on the ground before that just grew up from the soil, in minus ten C days... More birds have gathered on my feeder (flock of Pyrrhula pyrrhula, and some Parus ater & cristatus). But they eat me in bankruptcy! They are emptying the feeder in one day, whereas in previous winters it has lasted one week. I checked what is going on and this is what it is: when those |=@| Parus montanus take one seed, they fling tens of them to the ground! :C I would be happy to send them all to south ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back