• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question about 10x42 L IS WP (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I am checking into the Canon 10x42 L IS WP. The use would be for astronomy. This makes dewing an issue.
I have read here and there about how exposed the objectives are (very little barrel past them. I have also seen reference to the end of the barrels being threaded for filters. Some users apparently attach to each barrel a UV filter, and a lense shade.
Would anyone know the filter size? Also, as for a lense shade (made for a camera lense) are we talking one for a 35mm, or could a 50mm be used without vignetting the field?

Thanks

The objectives take standard 52mm UV filters.
Lens hoods are individual choice, and complicate storing the glass in the very snug Canon case, which really has too little space even for a decent strap, much less anything that would lengthen the actual binocs.
There are flip up rifle scope covers that work with these. There is a helpful review on
Cloudy Nights http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1625

The "objectives" aren't actually exposed. The exposed element is a multicoated glass plate as the bin is waterproof and focuses by moving the objectives. But it wouldn't be cheap to replace (is anything?).

You can also get multicoated glass covers (they're not UV filters) for lens protection.

Search for other threads here ... this has been discussed before.

etudiant: thanks for the review cloudy nights. I wouldn't have guess those scope covers would fit.

I've fitted two Nikon NR-1 collapsible rubber lens hoods, two center-pinch lens caps, and a Domke Gripper strap. This combination fits into the Canon-supplied zippered carrying case, with the eyepiece covers in place.

Attachments

• Canon 10x42L.jpg
    Canon 10x42L.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
I am checking into the Canon 10x42 L IS WP. The use would be for astronomy. This makes dewing an issue.
I have read here and there about how exposed the objectives are (very little barrel past them. I have also seen reference to the end of the barrels being threaded for filters. Some users apparently attach to each barrel a UV filter, and a lense shade.
Would anyone know the filter size? Also, as for a lense shade (made for a camera lense) are we talking one for a 35mm, or could a 50mm be used without vignetting the field?

Thanks

Hi Jay:

I think the 10x42s are superb for astronomy. (If you haven't done so already, pop over to my web site to read my review of the entire Canon line of ISBs.) I use my 15x45s for stargazing and rarely have a problem with dewing, but I am careful to keep them under my jacket when I'm not using them. Keeping them warm also extends battery life.

Regards,
Gary

The multicoated lens covers were a disappointment in the field. Under Irish weather conditions, they fog up inside. I found the binocs worked splendidly without them. Still, Allan's setup looks like a useful step forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back