• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Model, BD 7x28 IF (1 Viewer)

Brock,

I used soccer as an internationally understood reference point. I actually use binos for Rugby.

I've been watching the game for decades and I'm still mystified by the refereeing of scrums rucks and mauls ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_gameplay) I naively though taking along binos would help. My 7x26 is excellent for following the play but I can assure you, absolutely no help at all in understanding the refereeing. The question is, would an alpha pair be any better? ;)

David

PS. Brock, you might appreciate some of these:
http://wesclark.com/rrr/quotes.html

I played 2 seasons (quite a while ago), with no prior experience or instructions, as a right front (Prop-I don't know whether "loose-head" or "tight head"-more likely "hard head") on a small club team in the Northwest US and I never really got to understand the game other than "follow the ball, get to to scrum or line out and get in it!" One referee (there was only one and he was a surgeon) advised me that with the shoulders I had I could more efficiently beat up on my counter part opposite me if I tried some hammer like movements with them which he demonstrated to (and on) me at 1/2 time. I do recall that it was a good idea to keep your elbows high and moving while in the line out. Once in a while I also threw the ball into the line out and then stood back and enjoyed it.
Bob

Last edited:
You forget that humans have accommodation to a greater or lesser extent. The younger you are the better you are. That's what does the "focusing" not the depth of field (which isn't very large compared to the accomodation).

And this is how most hunters, military and the like use them. Focus them at infinity and let the positive accommodation focus closer. It's not really hyperfocal (but its the same sort of idea).

I still don't recommend them for birding but if the target is distant they work fine.

The results will probably be acceptable to most casual viewers of distant objects. But this is a bird forum....

The results will probably be acceptable to most casual viewers of distant objects. But this is a bird forum....

We're we discuss all forms of optics and their uses.

But as I said the IF bins at infinity will be as sharp as your regular bins back to the close distance that your eyes can accommodate to. Even with my 49 year old vision I can accommodate infinity to about 20m. Try it with your bins.

It's not something I'd want to do all day: you can feel it in your eyes the closer your get (i.e the more add your eye's lens has to add).

Last edited:
We're we discuss all forms of optics and their uses.

But as I said the IF bins at infinity will be as sharp as your regular bins back to the close distance that your eyes can accommodate to. Even with my 49 year old vision I can accommodate infinity to about 20m. Try it with your bins.

It's not something I'd want to do all day: you can feel it in your eyes the closer your get (i.e the more add your eye's lens has to add).

And that is one reason I.F. represents a step back from a center focus design. The Minox includes several compromises. Enough that I don't see it as a useful design.

Brock,

I noticed them when they were first listed. They have to be the prettiest compacts I've ever seen. Hoped no one would notice. Proved to be a forlorn hope, but I'll keep an eye on them all the same.

They reinvented the iconic Olympus Pen and Leica range-finder style cameras with some success. This has be a candidate for updating. (sorry the Silverline doesn't cut it). Are there any other optic style winners?

David

Brock,

I noticed them when they were first listed. They have to be the prettiest compacts I've ever seen. Hoped no one would notice. Proved to be a forlorn hope, but I'll keep an eye on them all the same.

They reinvented the iconic Olympus Pen and Leica range-finder style cameras with some success. This has be a candidate for updating. (sorry the Silverline doesn't cut it). Are there any other optic style winners?

David

The ability to wrap my fingers completely the barrels combined the low power might make these the only compact I could hold steady, but the lack of phase coatings rules them out. So you bid(s) are safe from me! :)

Brock

It went for about $227 in the end, I suppose not too bad but more than I wanted to pay for a design curiosity of doubtful usefullness... but it was pretty!.

David

It went for about $227 in the end, I suppose not too bad but more than I wanted to pay for a design curiosity of doubtful usefullness... but it was pretty!.

David

David,

If I had deep pockets I would have bought it, and if it wasn't useable, I'd display it in my lighted curio cabinet next to my MBE. :)

I would like to see is this design resurrected and made as a 6x24. A 4mm exit pupil would be nice in a compact bin.

Brock

David,

If I had deep pockets I would have bought it, and if it wasn't useable, I'd display it in my lighted curio cabinet next to my MBE. :)

I would like to see is this design resurrected and made as a 6x24. A 4mm exit pupil would be nice in a compact bin.

Brock

Shame the campaign for a knighhood came to nothing ;)

I'd settle for a 6x20 to keep the size down, but for me that old Zeiss style would be a winner.

David

David

OK...I just bought a near-mint Klein-DF for £75, shipping included! :king:
Wondering how it compares to my Nikon Mikron 6x15. |^|

Unfortunately it lacks the beautiful box and the case. Should any of you gentlemen by coincidence own either of them, please PM me.

The other thing that makers of IF EP bins overstate is your ability to "set and forget". Minox's states: "Using the convenient individual focusing of the two eyepieces these are set to the user’s eyes just once. The focus range is from 20 meters to infinity."
So keep in mind "set and forget" doesn't apply to everyone, and even if it worked for you in the past, if you are now "over 40," it may no longer work for you.

Brock

Unfortunately, I think Brock may be correct and that's a bummer for us old guys. My initial thinking was that these would be ideal travel, "always with you", binoculars but found the current $349 street price a bit daunting. I'm still tempted but may have to wait to get to CameraLand to try them first.

Unfortunately, I think Brock may be correct and that's a bummer for us old guys. My initial thinking was that these would be ideal travel, "always with you", binoculars but found the current $349 street price a bit daunting. I'm still tempted but may have to wait to get to CameraLand to try them first.

I've been using progressive specs for 25 year and have no accommodation left, but to my surprise I've found a 12x IF a real pleasure to use. Forget the "set an leave". Even on a 7x, it wouldn't be good enough for me. With a little bit of practice I reckon a little bit of synchronised twisting would be fine. Jason from http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/ has produced the only review of the Minox I've seen. The comments seem good but the scoring average. He's stated that there is no phase coating which seems odd. The Fujinon clone has it. I've sent him a a PM asking about it but had no reply.

David

Camera Land had a give away contest for a 7x28 IF, but I think that may be over. I don't see it advertised. Check with Doug about that.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back