• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF ED 10x43 vs. 8x43 (1 Viewer)

bobcat

My first binoculars were DCF XP 10x33's so I decided to upgrade along the lines of a 10x bino to the ED 10x42's. They produce beautiful images in comparison to my old binos, but reading all the 8x rave reviews make me think i should have gotten them. I bird in all sorts of locations (marsh, forest, riparian zone, coast etc.). I sometimes carry a scope but not always. Should I try to exchange the 10x's for the 8x's?

The Pentax DCF ED is a wonderful binocular.

Regarding your question of the 10x43 vs 8x43, the 8x43 will give you more eye relief (good if you wear glasses, now or in the future), larger exit pupil (brighter views), and a slightly larger FOV, while the 10x43 will give you the 10x magnification. Since you sometimes carry a scope when you go birding, you may find the 8x43 more versatile.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Tough decision. I was able to spend 460 at 10x, but at 900 I start to think that at 8x I get better all year use. In winter I prefer 10x to ID sparrows and other smaller birds.

FOV and DOF

Is a FOV difference of 15 ft. (330 vs. 315) really noticable? seems like the advantages of the 8x in this particular model are less than in others. will I notice a DOF difference? brightness seems to be a given.

To me they are about the same. I do not get much advantage until about 370ft, which some 8x models give, and others give 400ft. The Vortex 9x36 is interesting as a compromise, about the 370ft.

Vortex Razor, might find it for 700-800, gives 410ft at 8x42.

Last edited:
Is a FOV difference of 15 ft. (330 vs. 315) really noticable? seems like the advantages of the 8x in this particular model are less than in others. will I notice a DOF difference? brightness seems to be a given.

That's 6.3 degrees and 6.0 degrees. For me I notice it not so much in the "who that's bigger" but in the less negative "well, at least it's not so narrow".

Sensitivity to FOV is non-linear ... for me at 5 degrees I notice it's way too narrow; at 5.5 degrees it's too narrow (but it can be used for spotting birds but I have problems tracking them; 6.0 degrees is better (but a bit narrow for general use for me but if it's all I had ... or was good in other ways ...), 6.5 is OK (but I feel I need more but not all the time plus the trade-offs may be worthwhile); 7.0 degrees is decent, usable and I'm quite happy with this (e.g. Bushnell Elite at 7.1 degrees) and I seem to stop worrying about FOV at this point. 7.5 degrees is good the extra is nice tracking fast birds and searching is easier (but brings more stray light issues that bug me) and 8.0 degrees degrees is wide (but you need a very good bin to avoid stray light issues). Bigger than 8.0 I don't worry about they don't add a huge amount for me (an eyeglass wearer) but it does give a "plate glass window" view.

Not the upside of narrower FOVs is better control of stray light. I get the feeling that this (and edge to edge sharpness) were important design considerations for the Pentax designers.

My point is that changes at the smaller end are significant but get less so as you increase the FOV.

So back to your case which is different from most "I want to get an 8x bin for $xxx". You already have the Pentax 10x43 ED so will it be a big win going to Pentax ED 8x? A win, probably, especially for the mixed birding you do. A big win, perhaps not so much. Is it worth the transaction cost for such a small gain?

I think if you are going to change to 8x perhaps widen out your view to include a range of other 8x bins and pick a decent one (perhaps with a wider FOV).

Or perhaps the Pentax ED 8x is for you ... only you can know ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back