• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why the plummeting prices? (1 Viewer)

And the HG Rangefinder series is all 55% off. These are definitely Made In Wetzlar Germany! The HG 10x43 BR specs are pretty sweet... only $580 too!

cheers,
Rick

So far, I've only seen people talking about the Alphas as weather-worthy alternatives to the Nikon SE's. How do the images of the HG compare to the SE's? Do they offer 95% of the optical performance for 25% of the price of the Alphas?

Ning

Spending part of the $300 on some wind-worthy clothes probably will probably help my winter birding much more than a $300 glass. Here's what I've been finding out in the last weeks: you need a lot more insulation if you are mostly standing or sitting still than when you are walking about. ;)

Ning

I see a lot of people in winter never leave the car. They use a window mounted scope. The car, even with the window open, is good wind protection.

I do get out of my car, but the walks are short in winter.

And the HG Rangefinder series is all 55% off. These are definitely Made In Wetzlar Germany!

At the risk of turning this into a Pantomime...

Oh no they're not!

The "new" HGs which are on the minox.com website (don't think they have been launched yet) are claimed to be made in Germany but the original HG range was made in Japan.

The BLs and BVs are from China. The original (heavy) BDs (eg 62122 / 62123 / 62124) I think were made in Japan but I'm not sure where the newer lighter versions (62170 etc) are made - possibly China but don't quote me on that as we never brought them into the UK when we distributed Minox as the price was simply far too close to the HG price.

HTH

Dave.

The "new" HGs which are on the minox.com website (don't think they have been launched yet) are claimed to be made in Germany but the original HG range was made in Japan.

Like I said, I have never really followed Minox since they don't have a strong presence here in Japan BUT it is pretty clear from the press release, sales brochure and website that both the current APO HG and HG employ Schott glass and are Made in Germany.

I have the BD coming in about a week and it really doesn't matter to me.

cheers,
Rick

The are Made in China.
Kind of a bummer but not the end of the world for only costing $250.
First impression- they have some serious heft to them!
They do have a faint odor too but that usual goes away from stuff like that after awhile (I kind of like the smell of rubber anyways 8-P).
The "armor" on the bins also seems to scratch really easily. The rubber is waay too soft.
The view in them is good tho. I'm able to pick out a lot more trees at the very top of the mountains outside my patio a lot better than with my Nikons.
They are also brighter and a little crisper than the Nikons too.

Like I said, I have never really followed Minox since they don't have a strong presence here in Japan BUT it is pretty clear from the press release, sales brochure and website that both the current APO HG and HG employ Schott glass and are Made in Germany.

cheers,
Rick

Perhaps it is made in Europe? But it doesn't sound economically feasible to manufacture a single line in Europe and the rest of the lines in East Asia. Even if Schott glass is used. It would be cheaper to ship the glass blanks to Asia to make the lenses. The costs of production materials, setup and the hiring of experienced technicians etc. in Europe would be onerous. Of course, the binocular could be farmed out to Leica. This would help keep Leica's work force active during slow periods and avoid lay offs.

Leica would never admit this of course. They only make one grade of binocular.

Or all the parts could be made in East Asia and shipped back to Germany for final assembly. I believe this is what Leupold does with some of their lines. So............? Find out if Minox's work force in Germany is up to the task of doing this!

Bob

Last edited:
As a weatherproof alternative to 8x32 SE, I'd like to know how good the $399 8x33 HG's are. I actually ordered a pair from Cameraland, then saw that they had a fantastic deal on demo Zeiss 8x32's and switched my order.

Put simply, the Zeiss do the job. They aren't quite SE's (what the heck is?!?), but I'm entirely satisfied.

Still, I'd love to know what those HG's would have been like.

Mark

For me the 8x 33 HGs have the best handling but the 8x 32 FLs have the superior view, its neck and neck which ones I use.

Havn't seen any of the new 2009 range of HGs yet but it will be interesting to see if the new APOs can justify their price...

N.B. I can only compare them to EIIs but neither have the same wow factor.

Last edited:
Like I said... it is pretty clear from the press release, sales brochure and website that both the current APO HG and HG employ Schott glass and are Made in Germany.

cheers,
Rick

Rick, it's the NEW HG and APO HGs (with wider FOV) that claim to be made in Germany - the current ones are from Japan. Both versions of both models use Schott Glass.

cheers,
Rick

One more thing about where Optical parts are made.

Schott North America has an Optical Plant here in Pennsylvania near where I live. It employs about 300 people. It makes Optical Glass for the military among many other items.

http://www.us.schott.com/english/index.html

Bob

Last edited:
The are Made in China.
They do have a faint odor too...

Mine were delivered to my USA address Saturday. Did you recieve the latest model 62170? If so, then 690g is actually pretty lightweight for a 10x42mm bino with aluminum body and rubber armour. No big deal about Made in China. $249 for a Minox is a bargain even compared to the top grade "Brand XYZ" China bins being touted in this forum now.

Rick

Mine were delivered to my USA address Saturday. Did you recieve the latest model 62170? If so, then 690g is actually pretty lightweight for a 10x42mm bino with aluminum body and rubber armour. No big deal about Made in China. $249 for a Minox is a bargain even compared to the top grade "Brand XYZ" China bins being touted in this forum now.

Rick

Yep it was the 62170.
I guess you're right about the weight too. I was mostly just comparing them to my Monarch's which are polycarbonate but aluminum is gonna be a lot tougher so thats fine.
I was out in the field with them for about 9 hours yesterday doing some serious hiking and the weight wasn't that bad.
I can't tell if its just me or not (don't remember if my Monarch's had the same thing) but there definitely seems to be slight blurring/sweet spot thing going on.
I might just have to mess with the diopter adjustment a little. Other than that the view out of them is great.

The are Made in China.
They do have a faint odor too but that usual goes away from stuff like that after awhile (I kind of like the smell of rubber anyways 8-P).
The "armor" on the bins also seems to scratch really easily. The rubber is waay too soft.
The view in them is good tho. I'm able to pick out a lot more trees at the very top of the mountains outside my patio a lot better than with my Nikons.
They are also brighter and a little crisper than the Nikons too.

That delightful "aroma" might be toxic! We discussed this on BF awhile back and I posted some info, but didn't bookmark it.

Here's a quote from Ron Harper on Cloudy Nights about the discussion:

"Over on birdforum there was recently a discussion of a test in which the "toxic vapors" emitted by binoculars were measured for a few brands, and ratings given. They were looking at expensive roof types, and the worst was Minox, and the best was Swarovski. It seems it's difficult to make a rubber type coating that is soft to touch without mixing in some volatile plasticisers, which tend to be pretty nasty chemicals."

Btw, there is a Minox 8x33 HG for sale on Amart for $300 (add $40 extra for canister gas mask :).

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=650750

Brock and others:
How do you think that the 8x33 HG would compare to the Nikon 8x32, in either LX
or LXL, that is a size that I am thinking about getting, without the budget getting
out of hand.

Brock and others:
How do you think that the 8x33 HG would compare to the Nikon 8x32, in either LX
or LXL, that is a size that I am thinking about getting, without the budget getting
out of hand.

I can give you a comparison of near relatives of both of the binoculars you mention. I have the Minox BD 10 x 32 BR ASPH and the Nikon 10 x 32 LX L. The Minox is pretty good. I got it as a Demo for $380.00 and I think it was worth the money, but it is not in the class with the Nikon which is an "Alpha" all the way! The Nikon has a bigger FOV, a larger "sweet spot" and much better edge sharpness. I haven't tried the other Alpha's in this configuration and frankly, I don't think I need to. I'm more than satisfied with the Nikons! I also have the 8 x 32 LX L but the only other 8's I own that I can compare it to are the Nikons 8 x 32 SE and 8 x 30 E II and although it is not quite as good in some aspects as these Porro's, it can hold it's own against them without any trouble.
Bob

PS: By the way, the Minox's, when new, did have a bit of a petroleum like odor to them, but it is long gone now.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back