• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss scope Needs Help, Please (1 Viewer)

Ruger

Hi forum,

I just recieved a new 85mm scope with a zoom eyepeice. The eyepeice slides into the scope but will not turn and lock. Both the dealer and Ziess are closed for the day, so no help there. This is my first spotting scope, therefore I'm hoping I'm just doing something stupid.
I am entering the panic mode as I will be leaving for Florida in 10 days. If it's a problem with the scope, i fear it won't be fixed/returned in time for what may be a trip of a lifetime.

Also I'd like to say what a great foum this is. I've learned a lot from the many great posters, including this choice in scope.

p.s. I must run a few errands so I won't be back for about 1 hr.

Ruger said:
Hi forum,

I just recieved a new 85mm scope with a zoom eyepeice. The eyepeice slides into the scope but will not turn and lock. Both the dealer and Ziess are closed for the day, so no help there. This is my first spotting scope, therefore I'm hoping I'm just doing something stupid.
I am entering the panic mode as I will be leaving for Florida in 10 days. If it's a problem with the scope, i fear it won't be fixed/returned in time for what may be a trip of a lifetime.

Also I'd like to say what a great foum this is. I've learned a lot from the many great posters, including this choice in scope.

p.s. I must run a few errands so I won't be back for about 1 hr.
I have a Zeiss 85T scope, with zoom lens. The lens fits tightly into the body, then turns slightly, but not too much. You should hear a slight click. Make sure you line up the white dot with the mark on the body, before you turn. You shouldn't need to force it. Make sure you push it into the body properly or it won't turn.

mickporter said:
I have a Zeiss 85T scope, with zoom lens. The lens fits tightly into the body, then turns slightly, but not too much. You should hear a slight click. Make sure you line up the white dot with the mark on the body, before you turn. You shouldn't need to force it. Make sure you push it into the body properly or it won't turn.

Thanks for the reply MickPorter,
I followed the instruction manual which basically said 'remove rear cap, line up red dot with white dot on eyepiece, insert and turn'. I have put a moderate force downward and clockwise, but it won't turn. Im a "big guy" and have twisted off many bolts, accidently, when doing car repairs. I wouldn't think it should take as much force as I've been applying. Is there anything inside the eyepiece cavity that needs removing on a new scope? The lugs on the eyepiece seem to large for the lug threads in the cavity.

Ruger said:
Thanks for the reply MickPorter,
I followed the instruction manual which basically said 'remove rear cap, line up red dot with white dot on eyepiece, insert and turn'. I have put a moderate force downward and clockwise, but it won't turn. Im a "big guy" and have twisted off many bolts, accidently, when doing car repairs. I wouldn't think it should take as much force as I've been applying. Is there anything inside the eyepiece cavity that needs removing on a new scope? The lugs on the eyepiece seem to large for the lug threads in the cavity.
No there wasn't anything in mine mate. The lens only fits into the body one way. The lugs are designed to fit into the slots..... I have to say mine did go in easy. When it turns its only a short way but positive. You have to ensure that the lens fits between the lugs inside the scope body, then a slight twist.

Ruger.

I suggest that you contact the Zeiss Sports Optics Division, based in Chester, Virginia and inform them of the problem. I would also point out to them that you require the scope for your vacation. Was the eyepiece new when purchased? Has your dealer offered to help?

Mick has covered the fitting of the eyepiece. Align the two markings and insert, very slight downward pressure and twist clockwise. Mick has pointed out that you will hear a click.

Thanks for the replies. I called Zeiss and they were willing to send me a new scope, but were out of the green 85mm. They were going to send me a loner for my trip (cudos for Zeiss) but I contacted the seller and they had 1 left in stock and would ship within the hour.Fifty-two hours later it was delivered (along with a Zeiss cap) and the eyepiece inserted just as you all said it should.

For anyone looking for a top-end scope I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a Zeiss from Highland-Gear in Quincy IL. Do not pay attention to their website which sells the body/eyepeice seperately. From watching their auctions on ebay, I knew they were selling these for aprox. $1300. I called them and asked what the best price I could get and they said scope/eyepiece/&TRIPOD (a pleasant suprise) for $1306 delivered. These were factory sealed by Zeiss(not display or refurb).

I am highly pleased with the scope and the service I received.
Contact info for those interested:

Highland Gear, Inc
1019 Gardner Expressway
Quincy IL 62301
1-217-224-4444

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back