• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fringillidae (1 Viewer)

The fish genus is Erythrinus Gronovius 1763 [OD].
---
Edit - you were faster than me on this one... ;)

Last edited:
Fringilla coelebs

Utku Perktaş, A. Townsend Peterson & Dale Dyer. Integrating morphology, phylogeography, and ecological niche modeling to explore population differentiation in North African Common Chaffinches. Journal of Ornithology, First online: 20 June 2016.

[abstract]

Zuhao Huang, Yamin Shen & Yurong Ma. Structure and variation of the Fringillidae (Aves: Passeriformes) mitochondrial DNA control region and their phylogenetic relationship. Mitochondrial DNA Part A, Published online: 23 Aug 2016.

[abstract]

Ligon, R. A., Simpson, R. K., Mason, N. A., Hill, G. E. and McGraw, K. J. (2016), Evolutionary innovation and diversification of carotenoid-based pigmentation in finches. Evolution. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/evo.13093

[abstract]

Eophona migratoria

Guolei Sun, Tian Xia, Xiufeng Yang, Chao Zhao, Guangshuai Liu, Weilai Sha & Honghai Zhang (2016) The complete mitochondrial genome sequence of Eophona migratoria (Passeriformes Fringillidae), Mitochondrial DNA Part B, 1:1, 753-754, DOI: 10.1080/23802359.2016.1209098

[pdf]

Islands of Sao Tome and Principe are leftovers of volcanic islands eroding to the Atlantic. They have fascinating ecosystem of island fauna like weaver filling the niche of a woodpecker, tree-living shrew and day-flying bats. I hope somebody looks at a subfossil fauna - there might be fascinating flightless birds avaiting discovery!

Islands of Sao Tome and Principe are leftovers of volcanic islands eroding to the Atlantic. They have fascinating ecosystem of island fauna like weaver filling the niche of a woodpecker, tree-living shrew and day-flying bats. I hope somebody looks at a subfossil fauna - there might be fascinating flightless birds avaiting discovery!

(Sub)fossil avifaunas from Islands are amazing and often many extinct species. Look at the Hawaii Islands, New Caledonoa, New Zealand, Balearics, Corsica, Canary Islands, Micronesia, Polynesia, Islands in the Atlantic, Indian Ocean etc. etc. All vert, very exciting!

Fred

A very good idea.

(Sub)fossil Island avifaunas are often very exciting, rich and with mahy extinct species. Think of the extinct avifaunas of the Hawaii Islands, St. Helena, other islands in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans, the Balearics, Sicily and Corsica, Mauritius, Réunion, Madagascar, New Sealand etc. etc. It might turn out to be very fruitful digs in Sao Tome and Principe!

Fred

I wonder how many extinct species there really are though. There haven't been any recorded human induced extinctions from the islands that I'm aware of.

São Tomé Giant Seedeater?

Glad to see that our Ibis paper about the São Tomé Grosbeak has been picked up here – as well as my blog post https://t.co/OCBiYsL55T (including the nice photo by August Thomasson and a water color by Peter Nilsson).

I'd like to put forward here, something that never made it into the paper, since not all authors were equally enthusiastic. I know that vernacular names cannot change as soon as something is phylogenetically incorrect – there's a point in being rather conservative with common names.

However, I think there's a point in letting the change from Neospiza concolor to Crithagra concolor be accompanied by a changed common name. It may be obvious that the former Neospiza is not closely related to other grosbeaks (Coccothraustes/Mycerobas/Hesperiphona/Eophona), but given its current, it isn't clear that is a seedeater (Crithagra).

I would propose a new vernacular name that clearly indicates the three main features, i.e. that it is a seedeater, that it is the largest seedeater in the world owing to island gigantism, and that it is a single-island endemic on São Tomé. That would leave us with São Tomé Giant Seedeater. I realize that this is on the long side, but I don’t think that only “São Tomé” or “Giant” would be suitable.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Martin

Martim Melo, Martin Stervander, Bengt Hansson, Peter J. Jones (2017) The endangered São Tomé Grosbeak Neospiza concolor is the world's largest canary. IBIS 10.1111/ibi.12466

Early view article http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ibi.12466/abstract?campaign=wolearlyview

Users who are viewing this thread

Back