• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

X derivations (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

I started some tests using the X95 lens module http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=333057

Still didn't reached a combo with a definition as good as the original STX95 but the image quality is good already although not spectacular as the original...
The limitation is at high powers and a barlow helped a bit. The best combo for now is with the Ethos 17. The photo shows the combo with a focal reducer that works - will put tests at www.pt-ducks.com but you can compare AFOVS at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test_of_my_present_preferred_cr-telescopes ...

Attachments

• SwaroXEthos.JPG
    SwaroXEthos.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 287
X binoviewer

Observing with 2 eyes is much better...o:D

However at high magnifications de resolution still isn't also the ideal...

The focus range allows >3x zoom, in the photo with constant 60º AFOV!

Had some other ideas of using a binoviewer with the X95 but will take some time to get the material to test it...

Attachments

• SwaroXBinov.JPG
    SwaroXBinov.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 174
X photo lens

Not my main goal but it's the best image quality combo I reached from all 3 derivations...;)
Information about the use of the PMW with it, will be placed at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-photography.htm

For now see the info at the astrotelescopes section.

This solution is lower cost than the original Swaro for photo and also lighter. Will confirm the image quality with field tests but will take some weeks...

Attachments

• SwaroX_PMW_a6000.jpg
    SwaroX_PMW_a6000.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 214
Solved!...

Found a combo material that allows high magnification use of the X modules - have a look at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Swarovski_X_derivations

Will have to test it on field and do resolution tests but seem that I found a high power alternative to X95 use!... :king:

Did a short field test with the photo combo and it works well - the enclosed photo is a crop of a photo taken at equivalent 986mm (plus 1.6x sensor crop). Will compare it with the TMB combo in terms of photo quality but it's much more practical...;)

Attachments

• affinis_PHred_net.JPG
    affinis_PHred_net.JPG
    586.1 KB · Views: 229
X lens for photo

I never made a real test comparing the X95 lens module to my TMB92, side by side, to use as telelens, due lack of time...

These holidays I remembered to only take my X95 instead of also taking the TMB92, saving space and weight, so took the adapter to use the X95 lens as a telelens - still didn't decided on a digiscopy adapter since have to use it also with the Optolyth 100...

Well I regretted not taking the TMB since missed some potential good photos of interesting duck species... As mentioned at the updated http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-photography.htm#Photography_using_birding_telescopes I wish that Swarosvki will develop an adapter with correcting lens for the X lens modules to work as telelenses. Like that would be possible to get a 560mm telelens with the X95, and a 952mm using the 1.7x extender. Even better would be if Swarovski would release a variable extender from 1 to >2x, that could be also used on the BTX...o:D
The lack of resolution can be noticed at the attached photos - the Netta photo almost wasn't croped

Attachments

• nyroca_male_summer.JPG
    nyroca_male_summer.JPG
    483.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Netta_juvenile.JPG
    Netta_juvenile.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 153
New straight erector for the X

At the same time I uploaded my contact with the Harpia 95 vs. X95, I uploaded also a new straight erector for the X lens module that produces high image quality with astro-eyepieces (read the text and see the photo at the end of the X derivations), that is compact, so Swaro X fans can use >80º AFOV eps and do better than the Harpia... o:D

With a Nagler 22

After the release of the X115, couldn't resist to post this photo and think how great it will be with a X115... :king:

More during next weekend, hopefully...

Attachments

• X95_Omegon_Nagler22.JPG
    X95_Omegon_Nagler22.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 78
There are coincidences in our life and when I posted last reply I was far of expecting that the following day I would be looking through a STC56!!!!... The test was in-side although looking to out-side through an open door. I really need a field test!!! The idea from the last post was so present that I even didn't look through a BTX115 that was also present... o_O
First I want to test other X derivations but the STX56 is on my list for after...;)

Another alternative to the BTX and this zooms!!!...
Using a STX115+TLS_Apo23+Nikon_FSA_L2+Baader_MarkV+TS_SV30 - the last 3 items with some modifications... The length of the combo almost doubled...
STX115_TLS_Apo23_FSA_L2_MarkV_TS30.JPG

The FOV reduced 1.36x but mags seem only to increase 1.27x the minimum magnification, i.e. the AFOV reduced a bit but I can use both eyes!
STX115_vs_Bino_FOV.jpg

The image quality seems good (is not as excellent as the one of the STX115, but still have to test it in the field...), and can benefit from the 2.34x zoom of the STX115 - as I want to maximize FOV, the FSA_L2 is closer than it should to the TLS Apo, and zooming means loosing image quality... So should be able to use 38 to 89x...:cool:

... - as I want to maximize FOV, the FSA_L2 is closer than it should to the TLS Apo, and zooming means loosing image quality... So should be able to use 38 to 89x...:cool:
Just to clarify:
  • the 2.34x zooming of the STX115 doesn't reduce image quality within the resulting 38-89x zoom range, and result almost parfocal with this setup - I will try to make it totally parfocal...;
  • the FSA_L2 has a 3.5x zoom, and is this zoom that isn't worthwhile to use since degrades image quality. Otherwise, it potentially would result in a equivalent 2.34*3.5=8.19x equivalent zoom factor!...
I did tested the combo on field-work and works great when used within an hide. :D
When used outside, within a sunny day, the darker image produced reduces its appeal a bit... I have to test it looking to the Moon and other sky targets during the night... ;)

Another alternative to the BTX that zooms!!!
Today I tried another solution with a binoviewer that results on an increase of more than 40% of TFOV of the X115, with 76º AFOV!!! :cool:
Only next Sunday I will have time to do measurements and take photos of the final version but you can have an idea at Linear BV FOV increase replacing the TMB92 by the lens module of the X115... ;)

The LTX115 - using the Linear BinoViewer!
It took longer that I wanted but meanwhile I reached some nice solutions:
  • with a pair of Baader Morpheus 14mm, it results on a FOV of 94% of the STX115 at 30x, but with an AFOV of 76º and 41x of magnification;
  • with the Baader Zoom MIII, it results on a zoom from 24 to 71x, with a maximum FOV of 87% of the STX115 at 30x;
  • using a TS2"0.5x reducer with the Morpheus 14, the FOV increases 89% in relation to the STX115 at 30x, with 20x and the AFOV of 76º - the solution of the photo and the more compact!!!;
  • the TS2"0.5x reducer with the Baader Zoom results on 11 to 32x, with a maximum FOV 88% higher than the STX115 at 30x!
Will try to "zoom" the Morpheus 14 and see how the extender will result with the different solutions.
The only minus is that the APM superzoom doesn't focus with the 0.5x reducer - don't remembered if tried without it...

Attachments

• X115_TS2_0.5x_LBV_BaaderM14.JPG
    X115_TS2_0.5x_LBV_BaaderM14.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 41
The WTX115 - 92ºAFOV with 4.2x total zoom!!!
Using a STX115+TLS_Apo23+Nikon_FSA_L2+ES92_17mm, with some T spacers to guarantee parfocal zooming - see photo.
X115_TLS23_FSA_L2_ES92_17.jpgAt lower mag, with both X115 zoom and FSA_L2 zoom, at minimum zoom positions there is some vignetting, so the mentioned zoom factor is estimated with the FSA_L2 around 600mm, when vignetting disappear - if considering both minimum zooms, with vignetting, the total zoom would be 4.5x!
The resulting image quality is good, with minimum magnification without vignetting estimated as 49x, with 91% of the FOV of the X115 at 30x (96% with vignetting), but with more 59% of the FOV of the X115 with the extender at 50x! (y)
Zooming the FSA_L2 to maximum the resulting magnification should be 144x!!!:cool:
Adding the zoom of the X115 to maximum it should result on 205x...o_O
Will test replacing the ES92 17mm with the Ethos 17mm, since the initial tests with the Ethos showed even better image quality but I opted after for the ES due to better eye-relief - since I use glasses couldn't see all FOV of the Ethos - with other combos with the FSA_L2 I could only see 85% of the 100º AFOV of the Ethos and the ES92 has 92º AFOV... ;)
Using a TLS Apo 30mm should avoid all vignetting but minimum possible magnification should be higher - will see if will find one to test...
Will compare this solution with the X115 with the extender but it will take some time.
The resulting combo is long and heavy, needing good tripod and head to avoid too much shaking when zooming and/or focusing.

I wish you a great 2024, with lot of birding and optical new materials!!!

Last edited:
The WTX115 - 92ºAFOV with 4.2x total zoom!!!
Using a STX115+TLS_Apo23+Nikon_FSA_L2+ES92_17mm, with some T spacers to guarantee parfocal zooming - see photo.
View attachment 1551825At lower mag, with both X115 zoom and FSA_L2 zoom, at minimum zoom positions there is some vignetting, so the mentioned zoom factor is estimated with the FSA_L2 around 600mm, when vignetting disappear - if considering both minimum zooms, with vignetting, the total zoom would be 4.5x!
The resulting image quality is good, with minimum magnification without vignetting estimated as 49x, with 91% of the FOV of the X115 at 30x (96% with vignetting), but with more 59% of the FOV of the X115 with the extender at 50x! (y)
Zooming the FSA_L2 to maximum the resulting magnification should be 144x!!!:cool:
Adding the zoom of the X115 to maximum it should result on 205x...o_O
Will test replacing the ES92 17mm with the Ethos 17mm, since the initial tests with the Ethos showed even better image quality but I opted after for the ES due to better eye-relief - since I use glasses couldn't see all FOV of the Ethos - with other combos with the FSA_L2 I could only see 85% of the 100º AFOV of the Ethos and the ES92 has 92º AFOV... ;)
Using a TLS Apo 30mm should avoid all vignetting but minimum possible magnification should be higher - will see if will find one to test...
Will compare this solution with the X115 with the extender but it will take some time.
The resulting combo is long and heavy, needing good tripod and head to avoid too much shaking when zooming and/or focusing.

I wish you a great 2024, with lot of birding and optical new materials!!!

And presumably quite a stretch for your arms to reach the focusing belt whilst viewing through the eyepiece. This rig must surely shake at the slightest movement, so surely only useable when there is absolutely no wind. Not the most practical solution for birdwatching.
SW

And presumably quite a stretch for your arms to reach the focusing belt whilst viewing through the eyepiece. This rig must surely shake at the slightest movement, so surely only useable when there is absolutely no wind. Not the most practical solution for birdwatching.
SW
Don't know what telescope you use but all scopes that go over 60x need a good tripod and tripod head. The showed combo is comparable in length to an astro-combo that I use for cr-birding - see My preferred CR-telescopes - just update the X95 by the X115... ;)
One of the goals of the tested solution was to make it more practical: - adding the TLS Apo combo is easier and faster than adding the Swaro extender; higher mags with similar FOV (so higher AFOVs...), would increase resolution without loosing much FOV - compare the AFOVs on the photos of the link above.

I did tested and the result is:
STX115_TLS_Apo23_FSA_L2_Ethos17.JPG
This solution almost don't vignette at lower mag - 40x - and with the resulting eye-relief (the FSA-L2 induces an increase of the ER...), makes almost the eye-piece "invisible"! Also noticed that zooming the FSA-L2 seems to not increase resolution, so the loss of ER isn't no longer a problem - will use only the X115 zoom... I have to test it on field to decide if is worth-while or not i.e. if besides the wider AFOVs and higher mags, there is a resolution gain?

The LTX115 - using the Linear BinoViewer!
The only minus is that the APM superzoom doesn't focus with the 0.5x reducer - don't remembered if tried without it...
Well it reaches focus and with a pair of APM SZ the result is:
X115_LBV_APM_SZ.JPG
  • I remembered that the APM SZ vignetted a bit at lower mag position with the Linear BV but using a pair of SZ isn't much a problem since isn't so noticeable because the brain "eliminates" most and with the X115 the vignetting is also smaller than with the TMB92;
  • The mags resulting range from 32 to 73x, with initial total FOV 4.9% larger than the STX115 at 30x - using both eye-pieces (eps) FOVs i.e. using both eps there is a gain in total FOV (also eliminates the vignetting in practise...), since the FOV of each eps isn't the same as in binoculars;
  • The gain in resolution by zooming isn't so evident as zooming the STX and I have to test it on field conditions.
As the APM SZ don't reach focus using the 0.5x focal reducer, I might test a pair of Baader zooms to see how resolution results with wider FOVs - 88% more, as mentioned on the original LTX post... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back