• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Coopers Hawks (1 Viewer)

I've been feeding birds for years and I truly enjoy the activity. Two years ago a pair of Coopers Hawks moved into the neighborhood and have decided to camp out at my feeders. At first they seemed to concentrate on the Mourning Doves then moved on to the Blue Jays and Cardinals. Now they will take anything except maybe Chickadees. I'm seriously thinking about quitting my feeding because of this. I understand the Hawks are just doing what Hawks do but the numbers of birds coming to the feeders is nothing what it once was. Anybody else run into this? What did you end up doing if anything? Thanks.

Yeah, nature can be raw at times.

Try taking the feeders down for a week to 10 days. Luckily winter hasn't set in yet so hopefully when you put them back up, the Hawks will have moved on and the birds will have the ability to feed themselves during the cold weather. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

Not a bad suggestion from KC Foggin.

At my feeders, the situation is the opposite of yours! First, I should say that I only put out my feeders from mid-autumn until April or so. Perhaps that keeps winter hawk visits relatively low? I still get hawks (Sharp-shinned and Cooper's) coming to the feeders, but only once a week (rarely) to once a month or so. Perhaps it has to do with the amount of cover the birds have. At my station, there is a lot of cover for them! Less than 10 feet from the feeders is a line of 9 Blue Spruces, each about 20-25 feet tall. Perhaps 20 feet away is a group of 5 hollies, which sadly the House Sparrows really enjoy. As a result of all this cover, I have only seen one successful feeder-related hawk attack in at least 20 attempts.

I would be interested to know how much cover is near your feeders.

Not a bad suggestion from KC Foggin.

At my feeders, the situation is the opposite of yours! First, I should say that I only put out my feeders from mid-autumn until April or so. Perhaps that keeps winter hawk visits relatively low? I still get hawks (Sharp-shinned and Cooper's) coming to the feeders, but only once a week (rarely) to once a month or so. Perhaps it has to do with the amount of cover the birds have. At my station, there is a lot of cover for them! Less than 10 feet from the feeders is a line of 9 Blue Spruces, each about 20-25 feet tall. Perhaps 20 feet away is a group of 5 hollies, which sadly the House Sparrows really enjoy. As a result of all this cover, I have only seen one successful feeder-related hawk attack in at least 20 attempts.

I would be interested to know how much cover is near your feeders.

Most of my feeders hang in two large crab apple trees close to the house. There is a privet hedge maybe 15 feet away and this is where the birds head when a Hawk attacks. Usually he sneaks in and grabs a bird before the others even know what is going on.

Most of my feeders hang in two large crab apple trees close to the house. There is a privet hedge maybe 15 feet away and this is where the birds head when a Hawk attacks. Usually he sneaks in and grabs a bird before the others even know what is going on.

Thanks for the added info. Sounds like there's a good amount of cover for the birds. I guess you have a smart, experienced hawk!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back