• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeders and cereal (1 Viewer)

Illvoices

Hello fellow bird feeders i've got a question to all you bird lovers. Does anyone know what is the difference between a copper top bird feeder and a regular bird feeder. Also, does anyone know how to prepare cheerios and brand flakes for the feeder. I know that different cereal will attract different birds. So i would like to know how to make these foods for the birds and the bird feeder. o:D

Hello, not sure what you are asking in the first question, both types are fine just a matter of aesthetics (I think). As far as cereal, not the best thing to feed the birds, similar to bread, they will eat it just don’t think it is good for them. Most birds that come to feeders are seed eaters, worm eaters or nectar feeders.

Cereals are not a good idea as bird food. There will be too much salt and sugar in them.

So it says:
...Any breakfast cereal is acceptable birdfood, although you need to be careful only to put out small quantities at a time. It is best offered dry, with a supply of drinking water nearby, since it quickly turns into pulp once wetted. ... [/url]

Hmmm,

Ed

So it says:

Hmmm,

Hmmm, indeed! I must say that I’ve never been entirely comfortable with these lists of suitable/unsuitable bird foods which, as far as the “unsuitable” side is concerned, strike me as based as much on prejudice against human “junk food” as on any kind of science-based research.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back