• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

duovid 10-15x50 (1 Viewer)

black lark

I would like to buy me a10-15x50 duovid, the most post here are already old posts, so is there any new user reports out there or problems with these duovids reported .

black lark said:
I would like to buy me a10-15x50 duovid, the most post here are already old posts, so is there any new user reports out there or problems with these duovids reported .

they don't have a tripod socket

black lark said:
I bought a pair of Duovid 10-15x50 two month ago.
They soon developed a focusing problem less than two weeks. So Leica Japan exchanged them to a new pair in a week. Good service!!
Since then there is no trouble. I love using them.

There is more CA than scope. But I don't care much.

FOV/AFOV is narrower than my ATS-80HD scope. I think this is the most disadvantages of Duovid. Due to the dual magification FOV of Duovid is narrower than other 15x glasses like Swarovski SLC 15x56 and Minox 15x58.
I compared Duovid to SLC 15x56. I like the wider AFOV of SLC but the view of SLC is a little soft and there is more CA in SLC so I bought Duovid.

They are very heavy, so a harness is a must item to prevent neck pain. Most of the time I use them with monopod/tripod but to my surprise I can use them handheld for short time.
Looking through Duovid at 15x is like looking through a low powered scope with both eyes opened. I love my ATS-80HD scope with 30x but I prefer Duovid. The view is so vivid. Looking with both eyes opened is natural and comfortable. Watching hawkes and shorebirds with Duovid is simply stunning.

Regards,Katsu

katsunori said:
Most of the time I use them with monopod/tripod

Katsu, how exactly do you mount the Ultravid on a monopod. I often don't want to take the scope with me, but i whish i could hold the binoculars steadier to see the distant birds. Thank you.

Luca said:
Katsu, how exactly do you mount the Ultravid on a monopod. I often don't want to take the scope with me, but i whish i could hold the binoculars steadier to see the distant birds. Thank you.
Hi,Luka
I use tripod adapter by Leica.
It's sandal style adapter. It's right here.
http://www.leica-camera.us/nature_observation/ultravid_binoculars/accessories/356.html

And I use Bogen / Manfrotto 3232(234 in Japan) Swivel Tilt Head . This head is light and stable.
My monopod is "monostat " recommended by Hermann. This monopod is perfect for high power bins. Thank you,Hermann!!

Hermann said:
On monopods: Sure, monopods are no substitute for a decent tripod. However, in some circumstances they're very useful, for instance when birding in the woods. The same applies to trips that involve very long hikes when it's essential so save as much weight as possible. In such circumstances I use a monopod from a Swiss company called "Monostat". It has a funny-looking rubber foot that makes a heck of a difference compared to all other monopods I tried over the years. In fact, I get better stability with the Monostat than with most of the ultra lightweight tripods around. And in the woods, for instance, where I carry the Monstat with my Nikon 60mm mounted over the shoulder, I much quicker on the bird than with any three-legged tripod ...:)

Regards,Katsu

Last edited:
katsunori said:
Hi,Luka
I use tripod adapter by Leica.
It's sandal style adapter. It's right here.
http://www.leica-camera.us/nature_observation/ultravid_binoculars/accessories/356.html

And I use Bogen / Manfrotto 3232(234 in Japan) Swivel Tilt Head . This head is light and stable.
My monopod is "monostat " recommended by Hermann. This monopod is perfect for high power bins. Thank you,Hermann!!

Regards,Katsu

This tripod adapter comes free of charge and included inside the box packing. Very useful. If you didn't want to carry binocular + spotting scope, 10+15/50 can surely fit your need. However, 15X sometimes may not powerful enough to see water birds. Anyway, the optical quality of this binocular is super, no colour fringing at all.

I recently aquired a used 10-15x50 Duovid. I always wondered if the Duovid's optics were of the Trinovid generation or Ultravid generation, since the Duovid was introduced between those two. These are Ultravid quality optics! Instead of designing a 10x binocular and then boosting the magnification of the image and abberations, Leica designed a superb 15x binocular that also functions as a 10x. The sharpness and color saturation at BOTH magnifications exceeds the Swarovski 10x and 15x SLC's and the 10x EL's for that matter. The 2 downsides are the 44 ounce weight and narrower than usual FOV. In spite of its inherent limitations, the Duovid is an outstanding optical achievement.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back