• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mesa Verde and areas south of there (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have a conference in New Mexico upcoming in May and want to see some birds in there, but Mesa Verde is also on the wish list. So are there birds specifically to see in the area around Mesa Verde, and are there any advice on being further south from there?

thanks
Niels

I'm not sure of your exact dates, but there is a good local birding festival in Cortez (Mesa Verde) from May 8-12, 2013. There are usually some very good birders in attendance. Here is the link to the website, but most of the info is still from 2012:

http://www.mesaverdecountry.com/tourism/festivals/birding/birdfest.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link to species lists from the last 8 years of the festival.

As far as NM goes, you should look at the New Mexico Ornithological Society website. They have a Rare Bird Alert, and they publish a NM bird finding guide.

Good luck, and if you have other questions I'll do my best to help!

Thank you for both answers :t: this provides me with some options for guessing what would be around, even though our dates will be about 1-2 weeks before the birding festival

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back