• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impressions of the 2015 ZRS HD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

cnick6

Initial Impressions

I received the 2015 ZRS HD 8x42 model today from Zen-Ray. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible and will probably have to wait another 36 hours before we get sunny skies again.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd/15zrshd8x42.html

The binoculars arrived well-packaged and in a nice retail box. It's nothing fancy which is fine since we'd rather have the money go into the product than the packaging!

The package includes: documentation, neck strap, case, case strap, cleaning cloth, front/back covers and the 8x42 binocular.

The accessories are of pretty high quality. I like the case. It has a hidden pocket for the cleaning cloth which is a nice touch. The leather-designed name Zen-Ray insignia is a nice touch though I think the "Z" should have been a red color (for consistency with the box labeling.)

The binocular itself feels quite nice. It's not heavy -- a better word might be hefty but it's very svelte. The build quality is very good. No obvious signs of any defects.

The eyepieces on this binocular are quite large. They measure ~45mm and resemble a Swarovski-style. They turn out to two stops. On my unit, the right eyepiece extension is very smooth and each turn clicks into place. On the left eyepiece extension it's very squishy feeling and doesn't really click. It's more of a thud feeling. It's a very minor point but would prefer to have both feel the same way.

The focus knob was quite stiff upon first use and started working itself loose with light use. There must be a large amount of grease inside because it's quite audible when turning. Not a big deal but it sounds funny. It has a turn limit of 1.5 turns which is roughly (7) single-finger turns (when using it.)

I measure the exit-pupils ~6mm. By far the largest I've used. Most of my binoculars are < 5mm.

First Light

Clearly these are not Zeiss, Leica or Swaro level optics so if you're seeking E2E sharpness then move on. These are not for you. The sweet spot is roughly 75% but the last 25% is not exactly bad. It's just slightly diffuse. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect here so this was actually rather pleasing.

For me personally, the biggest "wow" factor is the brightness level. Since I have 32mm and 50mm objectives handy for comparison, I am very shocked by the brightness of this model. The light transmission is advertised to be quite high -- and it delivers! Frankly, it was a stark difference to my comparison binoculars.

The only catch to this excellent brightness is that this definitely highlights the lack of the E2E sharpness; however, in an outdoor environment, this is not as noticeable.

Due to the weather conditions (dark skies, cloudy, heavy rain at 4 PM local) it's certainly not prime testing conditions but this did let me try them in a low-light setting. As stated above, the excellent light gathering abilities of this model really shined.

While outside, I could view a few trees with bright, colorful flowers. The color accuracy is also excellent. I was quite impressed here as well.

The Single Negative

Probably the only disappointing feature (as mentioned by another user) was the focusing "slack" as they described. The focusing is a bit rough and not quite as smooth as other brands.

When focusing I had to adjust one way and then back a few times for it to "lock" on...

In fairness, I tried this with my other binoculars by throwing the focus to the extreme end and then having to focus on some random object. ALL of my binoculars require this kind of focusing to a degree; however, because of the silky smooth focusing, it's not as noticeable. Note, I'm guessing this is not a functional issue with the focus knob. I believe it's more internal with the overall system.

More thoughts on this later as I get more play time!

To Do

The above was pretty much all I could do this afternoon given the dreadful weather conditions. I will need to test further to really assess the optical performance.

The good news is that starting Wednesday we're due for very nice, sunny weather through the weekend.

Stay tuned...

Nice initial impressions cnick. I have a new 8x42 ZRS on hand for about a month and would agree with your sentiments.

Nice initial impressions cnick. I have a new 8x42 ZRS on hand for about a month and would agree with your sentiments.

Frank, is the focuser on your sample equally "slacky"?
That would be a deal breaker for me, but i am otherwise interested and hopeful about this model.

Will check when I get home later. I don't remember there being an issue with it off the top of my head.

Thanks for posting, nick.

I am all for large eyepieces, it's nice to have a 'large' fit ; but what is the diameter of the ocular lens ?

I find this to be a useful comparative when needed.

best wishes,

Frank, is the focuser on your sample equally "slacky"? That would be a deal breaker for me, but i am otherwise interested and hopeful about this model.

SpF, I've had a little more time with them today and the focuser is definitely loosening up somewhat. (It could just be full of grease and that's working it's way around...)

The focusing is OK but it's just not as smooth as Nikon or other focusing systems. It does seem to need a bit more adjustments to find that precise focus but it's not a deal-breaker to me... unless you were on a really strict budget and/or very picky.

A quick update:

Finally had some good sun today and took the ZRS HD to a nearby viewpoint overlooking a large lake. Still very impressed with the image quality of the ZRS HD. The resolution seems higher than the ED II 8x32 and nearly matches the Razor HD 12x50 -- it's hard to judge this with different magnifications. I can't believe this is due to the larger objective size. Color transmission is also very, very good. Also, the "brightness" was very strong but admittedly, that didn't seem quite as noticeable as before in lower light. I was planning to take a few digi'scoped iPhone shots but left the iPhone behind -- so will try again soon.

I've had the 8x42 ZRS HD for a few weeks now. My impression pretty well matches cnick6's. It is a very nice glass for less than $250. Really nice. Pretty solid feel to the instrument as well.

Just don't expect perfection, although there is not much I'd ding it on for what it is. There is a bit of focus play, but if that is a nit a user wants to pick, I don't think anything will suit them.

I can pick up a little CA with only slight effort. My test on a bright day using either the ridge line of Stukel Mountain to the east or the Klamath Hills to the south and west. With the sun behind the respective ridge, there is a little (really little) fringe of purple along the top of the ridge. Only with the sun behind the ridge, not with the sun behind me. Only on the ridge line, nowhere else. This does not happen with the ED 2. There is a slight veiling glare where I pick up CA. The VG is only at the bottom quarter, or less, of the view.

I'd feel at no particular disadvantage using this as an all day binocular.

Last edited:
I've had the 8x42 ZRS HD for a few weeks now. My impression pretty well matches cnick6's. It is a very nice glass for less than $250. Really nice. Pretty solid feel to the instrument as well.

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I'm curious which ED II model you own and what do you think of the image resolution? I'll be testing for that later this weekend but I swear the resolution is really impressive compared to my ED II 8x32 binocular.

The ED II is pretty good but looking at buildings several miles away (across a lake) was quite spectacular in the ZRS HD.

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I'm curious which ED II model you own and what do you think of the image resolution? I'll be testing for that later this weekend but I swear the resolution is really impressive compared to my ED II 8x32 binocular.

The ED II is pretty good but looking at buildings several miles away (across a lake) was quite spectacular in the ZRS HD.

OK, I meant the ZEN ED 2. ;) I have the 7x36 and 10x43.

I agree the apparent sharpness is very good on the ZRS, hard to tell from the ZEN ED 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back