• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget tour to PNG (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi everyone,

I am planning a "budget" birdwatching tour to PNG. I have checked the ones available tours organised by birding tour operators and the prices are really high and I would not like to spend such an amount of money.

I have been reading about the Indonesian part of the island (western part of the island) where budget tours are available but it seems that birding in PNG (easter part of the island) is much better.

I would try to watch at least one specie of all the endemic families that the island has that according to I.O.C. 5.1 are:

Satinbirds ---- Cnemophilidae
Berrypeckers, Longbills --- Melanocharitidae
Painted Berrypeckers --- Paramythiidae
Melampittas --- Melampittidae
Ploughbill --- Eulacestomidae
Mottled Whistler --- Rhagologidae
Ifrita --- Ifritidae

and of course many very interesting birds like crowned dove, Birds of Paradise, ... and many others.

I would not mind to add to the list a bird of two families that PNG shares with the North of Australia, a part of Australia that I have not visited yet.

These two families are:

Cassowaries --- Casuariidae
Boatbills --- Machaerirhynchidae

althoug these two are not essential due to the fact that I am planning to visit NE Australia in the future.

I have been told that the reason for the high prices are mainly:

- Internal flights that are very expensive because they do not have low-cost companies. All flights are serviced by Air Niugini (that is the stated owned one), airlines PNG that seens to be a bit cheaper and a third one called MAF Papua New Guinea that only flights from time to time. It seems that there is not any other option to move around: quality of the roads are very bad and distances are long.

- Lodges are very expensive. As PNG has not too much offer so there is not too much competence. So the prices are very high due to the fact that it is the only option if you want to have a quality lodging.

But I have also been told that reciently some budgets hotel have been opened that are much cheaper that the luxury lodges.

I have been consulting checklist and checking ditribution maps and observation records in places like eBird, I.B.C, ... and it seems the three place should be enought to achieve muy goal:

- Port Moresby visiting Varirata N.P staying in a budget hotel in Port Moresby that could be even booked in any website as booking.com

- A place in the highlands in the centre of the island like Mount Hagen where some budget hotels are also available.

- A place in western PNG, close to the border with Indonesia where options are limited. I have been told about Kiunga Nature Tours in the area of Kiunga and Tabubil. I do not know if they are cheap or expensive but I cannot find any other option.

So, if any of you have been to PNG and have information about budget hotels, birding guides, places to visit, logistics, ... I would thank you a lot if you help me with the organization of the tour.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Hi Jose,

Just saw your post now - I haven't been to PNG myself, but just recently discovered that Sicklebill Safaris offers a tour called Taste of New Guinea # 1 where you have a shot of seeing all of the endemic families you mentioned, plus other great birds like various Birds of Paradise. It's only one week, but that keeps the price lower than other tours. I'm keen on this tour myself, but am not likely to go before 2018.

If you have several weeks off you could always go to Northern Queensland afterwards, where you'd have a better shot at seeing a Cassowary. :t:

Cheers
Liam

Hi Jose, I was in PNG seven years ago so my info is a bit dated. However if you want some budget options I would suggest these:

near Port Morseby: contact Pacific Adventist University, a site visited by many birding groups for safe lowland birding (it's surrounded by a security fence!). It's also on the road to Varirata NP, a top site for many PNG specials. It may be possible to arrange a stay (they do have guest rooms) or at least visit. http://www.pau.ac.pg. Some hotels in Port Moresby are very expensive (like Airways, $300/night when I was there)

Mt Hagen. Stayed at Highlander Hotel (not cheap, but better than lodges). You can arrange transport to Kumul Lodge (great place). Of course you will need to fly from Moresby to Mt Hagen as there's no road connecting them. Once in Mt. Hagen you can drive to places like Wewak, and even to Lae and Madang...

Madang and Wewak on the north coast have cheaper hotels, but are not near the usual birding spots.

Hope this helps!

I haven't been there in over 20 years, and it wasn't the safest then, so take great care. I hope it is better now, but i doubt it. Go in a group if you can.

Having given the warning, i was fascinated by what I saw. Not into birding then.

Appropriate comments regarding the security issues! Because of our specific situation we had a permanent detachment of armed police with us at all times, but they were only really needed a couple of times. Make sure to have local info and don't travel alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back