• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 vs. 8x30 B T* old style (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

Hi all,

I have a pair of modern HD Conquest 8x32s which I really love - very excellent binocular - is the old classic 8x30 B T* even close? I need a second pair and been wondering what to pursue. I also have seen the most recent Conquests and T*'s but not sure where they fall in the range.

If its for back up Id try the 8x32 terra ed .....you might find yourself using it more than the Conquest....

Hi all,

I have a pair of modern HD Conquest 8x32s which I really love - very excellent binocular - is the old classic 8x30 B T* even close? I need a second pair and been wondering what to pursue. I also have seen the most recent Conquests and T*'s but not sure where they fall in the range.

The Conquest HD range is the range of most recent Conquests. For example the previous Conquest small model was the 8x30 T* with smaller objective lenses. So if you have a Conquest HD 8x32 you do have the current model.

Terra ED models sit below Conquest HD in price and in performance but they are capable binoculars, just not in the same class as Conquest.

Above Conquest there are the Victory FL, Victory HT and Victory SF models but these are in quite a different price bracket from Conquest.

If you want a 'back-up' binocular or one that you could use in 'risky' situations where you don't want to put your Conquests in danger then the Terra ED 8x32 would be a great option.

Of course there are other brands and models available and other folks will probably jump in here to recommend them.

Lee

I'm actually talking about the old 8x30s from the 90s...do they even come close to the HDs? I have a few pairs of bins and I was curious about their performance.

I'm actually talking about the old 8x30s from the 90s...do they even come close to the HDs? I have a few pairs of bins and I was curious about their performance.

I remember trying a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 B/GAT*P in the 1990s and was very impressed. In my opinion, they were as good as the Leica Trinovid 8x32BA.

BUMP---- Hello friends ---

I am very interested in an answer to the original question that no one fully addressed.

What do you gain --- what are the differences --- how do they compare ????

Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD vs Zeiss Conquest 8x30 BT* I am looking at buying the older model, but before I do i would like to know what I'll be giving up ---
If much. Thanks in advance --- This my first post.

Why, given that the Conquest is optically superior?

optically they are pretty close and in most cases good enough....and since you can buy 3 Terra ED bins to one Conquest HD you don't worry about damaging them near as much.... and they still have the little blue badge and warranty....

BTW....I do have the Conquest 8x30 B T.....but have never compared it to the HD Conquest....

Last edited:
Respectfully Repeat ---- I am very interested in an answer to the original question that no one fully addressed.

What do you gain --- what are the differences --- how do they compare ????

Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD vs Zeiss Conquest 8x30 BT*
I am looking at buying the older model, but before I do i would like to know what I'll be giving up ---
If much. Thanks in advance ---

Gijax,

Narrower field of view, older coatings, better glass in the objective design of the newer model.

FWIW, I owned a few pairs of the original 8x30 Conquest and found it quite enjoyable. It had its weak points but it was still a pleasure to look through. I have never owned the newer Conquest HD but have looked through it on numerous occassions.

As I recall, the 8x30 BT was very light, plastic-y, kind of bulky for the format. It was "cheap and cheerful". FOV was restricted. I think the HD is a more solid feeling bin, with specs and performance to rival the FL. It has nice close-focus if you like butterflies etc.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back