• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Return visit to Bollihope yesterday as we were staying nearby added a couple more to Mondays list. Spotted flycatcher, Wagtails( grey and pied) on stream, Willow warbler and Crossbill in woods. One cuckoo on wires. Buzzard over quarry. Wheatear and flycatcher in quarry. What we thought was a Kestrel flying towards and landing in the trees by the caravans, however the quick view and overiding feature being its slate grey back makes us not certain. Redshanks on walls. GSW, siskin and female Bullfinch on feeder on caravan . Still no Ouzel.

Waxwings

Hi

Flock of 20 to 30 Waxwings in the tall trees to the very front of HMYOI Deerbolt at Barnard Castle today Tuesday at 11:00. Not feeding just perched, I don't think there are many berry rich trees/bushes around this area so they may depart quickly. Hope it helps with someone's year list.

Regards

Mark

Bramblings Durham City Riverside

25+ Bramblings 100 - 150 m south west along riverside track from church on church street south of Kingsgate bridge, east side of river

Crossbills

A couple of Crossbill shots taken yesterday

Attachments

• AWG Fem Crossbill.jpg
    AWG Fem Crossbill.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 181
  • AWG Male Crossbill.jpg
    AWG Male Crossbill.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 165
Brambling (M) and singing Chiffchaff today at Far Pasture. Blackcap also seen and heard.

Attachments

• Brambling (M)31032017Far PastureDSC_2398.jpg
    Brambling (M)31032017Far PastureDSC_2398.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Chiffchaff (M)31032017Far PastureDSC_2331.jpg
    Chiffchaff (M)31032017Far PastureDSC_2331.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 136
I am looking to visit Barnard Castle tomorrow and wondered where my best bet to go would be for Pied fly, Redstart, and Wood warbler. Does anyone know if there are there any around this year and if so where my best chance might be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Rose Coloured Starling

A few pics of the rose coloured starling in Stanhope this evening

Attachments

• rcs1.jpg
    rcs1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 126
  • rcs2.jpg
    rcs2.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 117
  • rcs3.jpg
    rcs3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 114
Nice views of this little beauty, coming within 6' of me last weekend - Crimdon Dene

Attachments

• AWG Dunlin.jpg
    AWG Dunlin.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 147
  • AWG2434.jpg
    AWG2434.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 125
No pics, I'm not a tog as yet. Whitburn Steel today: Curlew, 2 Black-tailed Godwit, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Grey Heron.

Last edited:
Any suggestions as to where is a birders paradise in Durham please? The Mrs is in the mood for something different to the coastal areas we have been visiting recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back