• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Noctivid 8x42 Backorder (1 Viewer)

b3rd

Reg1stered User
It looks like the Noctivid 8x42 is backorded just about everywhere. Anyone got any hints about availability? Some web sites say May.

This is my first plunge into serious bino glass. After reading a bunch of reviews, these binoculars seem like the ones I would enjoy the most. However, since I seem to have some time, how do you guys get experience with a set before you buy? Do you just need to know someone, or are there reputable rental outfits, as there are for camera equipment?

Hello b3rd ..... Welcome to the Forum!

Availability ..... You are right on about the lack of availability of the 8X42 here in the states. I wonder what that is all about. (Looks like the alpha may not be dead after all.) I checked the primary vendors and all are out . The one I did not check is Cameraland since their website appears to not show stock status. You might give them a call.

Two units did show up but they are not U.S. sellers I am familiar with. One was an Amazon third party seller and the other was on eBay. Leica can be difficult on warranty details and may require that any units come from an authorized dealer. Also make sure you are clear on the return policy if it does not work out.

Experience: Sometimes it is just not possible to find the binocular ahead of time to physically try it out. So I spend time studying the specs and photos and read the reviews and comments on this Forum. It does not take long to figure out which posts have merit. Look for well explained opinions and consistency among reviews. I do not recall ever being surprised after reading multiple comments from some of the knowledgeable members on this Forum. Once a decision is made to purchase, be sure and buy from a vendor with a good return policy and history in case it does not work out.

Vendors with a good return policy: B & H Photo, Eagle Optics and Optics Planet have been very good about returns. I have personal experience with either returns or exchanges with B & H and Optics Planet. Eagle has many positive write-ups on the Forum. Amazon itself is good on returns but that may not apply to third party vendors. Adorama may also be good about returns but I do not know as much about them. Cameraland also has a good rep but again, I do not know much about how they handle returns.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A local distributor warned me about 2 months lead time;
I got mine in last week!
A reflection of the great success of the noctivid line

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back