• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paridae, Remizidae, Aegithalidae (1 Viewer)

DeCicco, Shutler, Mockford. 2017. Morphological differences between Nearctic and eastern Palearctic Gray-headed Chickadees (Poecile cinctus). Wilson J Ornithol 129:171-175.
[abstract]

Laurent

P. cincta or P. cinctus? Is that a typo on your post or in the original paper?

cheers, alan

P. cincta is what is Code-compliant in my opinion. ;)
I once tried to organise my thoughts on the subject and, since that time, the attached text is hanging on my hard drive. I'd actually love it if anyone wants to comment, or offer an argument supporting a different conclusion.

Attachments

• Poecile-LRa.pdf
    172.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I once tried to organise my thoughts on the subject and, since that time, the attached text is hanging on my hard drive. I'd actually love it if anyone wants to comment, or offer an argument supporting a different conclusion.

Laurent, I can't open this file. (Error message: The file is corrupted and cannot be opened.) :-C

Thank you, pdf is OK.

The grammatical gender of Peocile?

Laurent, I can't open this file. (Error message: The file is corrupted and cannot be opened.) :-C
Thanks Peter - most likely a compatibility problem between LibreOffice and the word processor you use, sorry about this. I have replaced the .doc by a .pdf; I think this should solve it.
--
Edit: it did, obviously ;)
The grammatical gender of Peocile?
Oups, indeed; now corrected. :t:

Last edited:
Remizidae

Alex Ball, René E Van Dijk, Steve Dorus, Tamás Székely. Sexual conflict predicts the evolution of sexual dimorphism in a diverse avian family, the Penduline tits (Remizidae). XIV Congress of the European Society for Evolutionary Biology. Lisbon, 2013.
Summary here

A. D. Ball. Sexual conflict in the penduline tits (Remizidae): implications for sperm competition and speciation. Thesis, University of Bath, 2014.

Chapter 1 Molecular phylogeny of the penduline tits (Remizidae).

[pdf]

Johansson US, Nylinder S, Ohlson JI, Tietze DT. Reconstruction of the late Miocene biogeographical history of tits and chickadees (Aves: Passeriformes: Paridae): A comparison between discrete area analyses and probabilistic diffusion approach. J Biogeogr. 2017;00:1–12. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbi.13095

[abstract]

The fossil record of the Paridae is restricted to the Pliocene of Europe, so younger than the Miocene:

Parus robustus Kessler, 2013. from the Pliocene of Hungary
Parus parvulus Kessler, 2013. from the Pliocene of Hungary
Parus medius Kessler, 2013. from the Pliocene of Hungary

Some modern European species are found in the Late Pliocene and the Early Pleistocene

Hope it helps,

Fred

Pseudopodoces

Cheng, Gao, Wang, Han, Shao, Wu, Song, Zhang, Zhu, Lu, Qun Lei. 2017. Evolution of beak morphology in the Ground Tit revealed by comparative transcriptomics. Frontiers Zool. 14:58.
[whole paper]

Zhu, Guan, Signore, Natarajan, DuBay, Cheng, Han, Song, Qu, Moriyama, Hoffmann, Fago, Lei, Storz. 2018. Divergent and parallel routes of biochemical adaptation in high-altitude passerine birds from the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.
[abstract] [pdf here]

Ground Tit

Zhiyong Jiang, Bin Gao, Fumin Lei & Yanhua Qu. Population genomics reveals that refugial isolation and habitat change lead to incipient speciation in the Ground tit. Zoologica Scripta, First Published: 12 March 2019

Abstract:

Complex geological environments and Pleistocene glaciations contribute to speciation. For example, the unique geomorphological configuration and distinct geological evolution of the Qinghai–Tibet Plateau has led to the evolution of many endemic species adapted to a life at the plateau. Most of these endemic birds show no genetic divergence between different populations across the vast plateau region, with one particularly interesting exception. The ground tit (Pseudopodoces humilis) exhibits considerable genetic differences between the populations distributed on the central (platform) and those in the eastern margin (edge) of the plateau. Glacial refugial isolation and geographic barrier are hypotheses that have been proposed to explain this unique pattern of divergence. Here we use genome‐wide resequencing data to test these two hypotheses as explanation to the genetic divergence of the ground tit. The neighbor‐joining tree, principal component and STRUCTURE analyses suggest the presence of two incompletely diverged genetic lineages, which are geographically congruent with the populations in the platform and edge areas of the plateau. Our demographic model and population demography analyses estimated that the two populations diverged between 57 and 167 kya, and both populations experienced similar bottlenecks and expansions. Congruently, we also observed retracted suitable habitats for the two populations during the glacial time, suggesting that isolation in different glacial refugia. Interestingly, the genetic divergence between the two populations is further maintained and accumulated by habitat differentiation and morphological divergence. In accordance with this, we observed that highly divergent genomic regions harbour genes enriched in biological functions involved in muscle related processes and metabolic activities. Overall, the separation into different glacial refugia, the habitat difference and the morphological divergence contribute together to the adaptive population diversification in situ and we suggest that the platform and edge populations of the ground tit constitutes an interesting example of incipient speciation.

Name : Andrornis
Authority : Kaup
Year : 1877
OD ref : Kaup JJ. 1877. Grundiss zu einem System der Natur. Nach der Verfassers Tode herausgegeben von Dr. Karl D. A. Röder. M Bisschopff, Wiesbaden.
Page : 123
OD link : https://books.google.be/books?id=Nte2N6nvGpIC&pg=PA123
Included nominal species : Parus ater
Type species : Parus ater Linnaeus 1758
Type species valid syn. : in use
Fixation by : monotypy
Fixation ref : as OD
Page : as OD
Fixation link : as OD
Type OD ref : Linnaeus C. 1758. Systema naturae per regna tria naturae, secundum classes, ordines, genera, species, cum characteribus, differentiis, synonymis, locis. Tomus I. Laurentius Salvius, Stockholm.
Page : 190
Type OD link : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/727099
Notes : Not in Neave, nor in the Richmond Index. As a subgenus of Parus. Senior objective synonym of Periparus Sélys-Longchamps 1884.
Available : yes
Family : Paridae

It remains to be seen whether this name was used as valid after 1900. If not, you know what happened

It remains to be seen whether this name was used as valid after 1900. If not, you know what happened
I strongly suspect that none of the names from this posthumous work was used again.
(Hence they should not be used to displace a name that is in wide use. I can be no doubt that Periparus fulfills the conditions for a reversal of precedence.)

What is Parus caeruleanus Malherbe, 1842, please? Mentioned by G R Gray 1849 here (#10) with plate here (where spelled caeruleatus). I checked Malherbe's 1842 Birds of Sicily in the cited Mem. de l'Acad. Roy. de Metz (Parus starting here), but no mention of it there.

From the pic in Gray, perhaps a Blue x Great Tit hybrid??

What is Parus caeruleanus Malherbe, 1842, please? Mentioned by G R Gray 1849 here (#10) with plate here (where spelled caeruleatus). I checked Malherbe's 1842 Birds of Sicily in the cited Mem. de l'Acad. Roy. de Metz (Parus starting here), but no mention of it there.

Looks like a Sittiparus

What is Parus caeruleanus Malherbe, 1842, please?
https://books.google.com/books?id=DA00AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA58
Parus caeruleanus. (Malherbe, 1842.)
Parus fronte, collo ad latera pure albis; vertice nigerrimo, caeruleo obscure lavato, et lineâ albâ parvissimá circummarginatâ; mento, gulâ, nuchâ, vittâ supra oculos ad nucham ductâ, collo que inferiore nigerrimis; pectore flavo ; episgastrio , ventre crissoque flavis olivaceis; plumis ad basim nigricantibus, dorso toto, tergo, uropygio, caudâ, et alis caeruleis; remigibus primariis intùs brunescentibus.
La Mésange à dos bleu a le front, les sourcils et les tempes d'un blanc pur, sommet de la tête d'un noir profond à reflet bleuâtre, et entouré d'un cercle blanc trés-étroit qui, partant du front, se réunit â l'occiput. Le menton et la gorge sont d'un noir profond qui forme un espace triangulaire, et de chaque côté part une bande noire qui, se réunissant à la nuque, y forme un assez large espace noir glacé de bleuâtre. Toutes les parties supérieures sont d'un joli bleu cendré plus vif sur la queue et les rémiges secondaires; les rémiges primaires sont brunes sur leur rebord interne, et leur rebord externe est bleu dans les deux tiers de la longueur, puis blanc vers l'extrémité. Les grandes tectrices et les rémiges secondaires sont bordées de blanc à leur extrémité. La poitrine est d'un jaune assez vif, le reste des parties inférieures est d'un jaune plus pâle et olivâtre sur les flancs et les couvertures inférieures de la queue, la base des plumes des parties inférieures étant d'un noir cendré, on aperçoit quelquefois une ligne noirâtre au milieu de l'abdomen, ainsi que cela a lieu dans beaucoup d'espèces de mésanges, lorsque le plumage est en désordre. Bec et pieds noirs, ongles d'un cendré brun.
Cette mésange, que M. Ledoux m'a envoyée de la province de Bône, y est commune à l'automne, à l'époque du passage ; elle a toujours été confondue avec le parus caeruleus dont elle se distingue facilement toutefois, 1.° par sa taille plus petite de 10 à 15 millimètres; 2.° l'aile n'ayant que 6 centimètres, tandis qu'elle a 7 à 8 millimètres de plus chez le parus caeruleus; 5.° par le noir de sa tête et de son collier, qui sont d'un joli bleu chez le caeruleus; 4.° enfin, par le bleu cendré uniforme du dos et du croupion qui sont d'un vert-olivâtre chez le caeruleus.
Cyanistes teneriffae ultramarinus (Bonaparte 1841).

(The above was published in 1845, not 1842. But Malherbe regarded names attached to a specimen in a museum collection as having thereby been established, even if not published: '1842' is presumably the date on which he named the specimen Ledoux had sent him from Algeria. As a result of this, Malherbe was often quite careless about what he did with a name when he published it for the first time. Quite a few other authors from this time used to think this too, by the way -- including Bonaparte.)

Last edited:

Malherbe's "Parus cæruleanus, was according to the Richmond Card (here), published in "Bull. Soc. d'Hist. Nat. Moselle [Metz]", but in 1845; p.58, which takes us to; Bulletin de la Société d'histoire naturelle du Département de la Moselle, Metz. (here), alt. (re-published) in Revue Zoologique ... IX (February) 1846: p.46 (here).

To me (far from an expert on Paridae) it looks like an Algerian specimen of the African Blue Tit ssp. (Parus) Cyanistes caeruleus/teneriffae ultramarinus (Bonaparte, 1841), ... all puffed up on the later Plate. Compare with this poor bird, as well as several other pics "out there"

And take it for what it's worth.

/B

PS. Oupps, once again the same thing happened. While I was typing away; Laurent replied, far quicker ... as usual ;)
However, I will leave here anyhow (for whatever it's worth).
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back