• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Ringed birdfeet, probable peregrine kill, NE Wales (1 Viewer)

bartolli

Found two bird feet today, a few inches apart, within 100m of a peregrine nestsite inn NE Wales.

At first I thought they looked like chicken feet, but given they were ringed and a probable peregrine kill, this seems rather unlikely? So guess they are pigeon feet?

Silly me was concentrating on photo-ing the rings, so the feet aren't "whole" on the photos! Also just realised I had assumed they were a matching pair (!) but poss could be from separate pigeons, but seems unlikely.

Only 1 foot shown, as the other had a plain green ring with no letters.

Full lettering on the green ring reads SU10 L 2391 and on the red ring in smaller letters 5091.

Many thanks

Attachments

• birdfoot1.jpg
    birdfoot1.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 36
  • birdfoot2.jpg
    birdfoot2.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 30
  • birdfoot3.jpg
    birdfoot3.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 40
They look like Pigeon feet. If so they are Racing Pigeons. It's not a good idea to tell the Racing Pigeon Club that their pigeons are being killed by Peregrines. You could just say 'found dead'......

Oops. They are definitely racing Pigeon rings. The red one is the one put on for that specific race - or part of, for that bird. You didn't see what killed it so 'found dead' seems to cover everything.

Chris

Ok many thanks! I'd more or less realised that if they were pigeons they must be racers, and that it prob wouldn't be a good idea to tell them about peregrines.

Interesting about the red ring. I might have a look at rpc site.

At least their death wasnt totally wasted!

Many thanks

Just googled pigeon rings and reported the dead pigeon. The Su on the ring refers to the Scottish homing union, the 10 is the year of ringing, usually at 1 wk old. A 3 yr old racer seems a good age to me! But a long way from home.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back