• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My test & review of the Swarovski ATX 30-70x95 (1 Viewer)

Kimmo,

how did you perform the resolution test.
It cannot be black and white lines to be distinguish I think. Chromatic aberration is less impacting results then. I should be multicolored lines to be resolved. I wonder how we can compare scopes.

Thanks for a nice review.

Mariusz

Finally looked through one 95...

Did a short comparison of the ATX95 with my Optolyth 100. Although very quick and not in my standard test system conditions, I did reach 2 conclusions:
1 - the ATX didn't show better resolution. At 72x on the ATX and similar magnifications on the Optolyth, both showed similar resolutions (in the USAF 1951 was 3 on scale 1), but at 90x the Optolyth resolved more detail - 5 on scale 1 - should not be compared with the tests as pt-ducks since were at different distances and light conditions...;
2 - the ATX showed much more light and contrast at same magnifications - didn't expected so high difference.
Within some weeks/months I hope I will have another chance to compare these telescopes (and also to my TMB92 astro 100º AFOV combo...), and hope to have more time available...;)

David,

Your findings are interesting and also pretty close to what I would have expected. Knowing the kind of work you do and the thoroughness with which you have been developing your setup, I could guess that the particular sample of the Optolyth 100 you have been using must be a pretty well-corrected low-aberration sample. Given such a sample, when looking at pure resolution the 100 mm aperture of the Optolyth should equal or even slightly surpass the performance of the ATX 95 at equal (high) magnifications, and as you well know, any well-corrected scope will continue to show added resolution beyond 1x/mm of aperture.

The Optolyth 100 is very rare here in Finland, and I have only ever viewed with two or three, and that was a long time ago. None of these were very good, but as I said, if yours would not be very good, you would not have been using it for long.

The second observation also doesn't surprise me. The ATX really is very bright, and because of the minimal light loss, has excellent contrast. The Optolyth coatings have not kept up with the development of other top brands, and there can potentially be a 15-20% difference in overall transmission between the two. That will be readily apparent.

Were you able to do any kind of a star/glitter point test with the ATX to determine its aberrations, or was is resolution chart only?

Kimmo

Kimmo,

Just resolution chart...
My Optolyth is >15 years old... I thought that the +5mm would compensate older coatings. New versions might have better transmission.
The zoom ep also might have something related to this. When used the Baader zoom for the first times I noticed "much more light" and was a repaired one, with dust inside - forgot to take it with me this time. Also curious to see how the new Nikon Monarch zoom will work with the Optolyth but Nikon continues to delay the release of the Monarch spotting scopes...

Thanks Kimmo!

I wanted to do this post since mid April but several reasons have been delaying it...

On April I was in a congress in Finland and Kimmo was kind enough to arrange some time to meet me, in order that we could compare his X95 to my Optolyth 100. It was a really nice spend after noon!...:t:

Once again I was impressed by the X95 quality and what surprised me more was the very high resistance to flare!

Meanwhile I got a STX95 and will write a comparative test and put it at pt-ducks, when I will find some time...

Another thing that I found in Finland and confirmed lately is that the X95 pairs very well with the Sony a6000 compact zoom, being that vignetting disappears at about 25mm zoom position.

I enclose a pair of samples I obtained of Finnish ducks, both hand-held. Several photos are already at fotos at http://www.pt-ducks.com

The digiscopy was so interesting that I almost lost my flight...;)

Attachments

• Aythya_ferina_1600a.JPG
    Aythya_ferina_1600a.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Bucephala_male1.JPG
    Bucephala_male1.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
David,

It was a fun afternoon looking at birds and discussing optics. Weather cooperated also. Glad you made the plane, I was a bit worried when driving you to the airport.

I had not seen many of the big Optolyths before yours, and yours was easily the sharpest of them.

Do let us know how you find the STX 95.

Kimmo

I finally produced something about the X95 and did a comparing test with 2 of my preferred cr-telescopes http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test_of_my_present_preferred_cr-telescopes
Yes, the X95 became one of my preferred cr-telescopes!
The test has images showing the difference in AFOVs.
I quote a wish from the test "...if the Swarovski 95 reached 90x it would be the "dream cr-telescope"... It could be accomplished by increasing the zoom factor to 3x i.e. producing an improved eyepiece module or by producing a 1.6x extender that would result on a 48-115x zoom..."...o:D

Rufous-collared Kingfisher

Forest Kingfisher in Borneo taken with Swarovski STX95 + Nikon V1 at ISO 400 and shutter speed of 1/1.6s

DSC_6080 Rufous-collared Kingfisher.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back