• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Okinawa Raptor Identification (1 Viewer)

No experience, but going on books, I'm thinking Butastur indicus. Wait for other replies too though!

Edit - Grahame got in first!

Thanks, didn't realize pictures/posts about raptors shouldn't be posted in the Birds of Prey forum. Or maybe if I took the word "identification" out of the subject line it would be appropriate for this forum? I'll have to read up on the forum descriptions so I don't clutter the place up with my nonsense posts.

Thanks, didn't realize pictures/posts about raptors shouldn't be posted in the Birds of Prey forum. Or maybe if I took the word "identification" out of the subject line it would be appropriate for this forum? I'll have to read up on the forum descriptions so I don't clutter the place up with my nonsense posts.

No problem with it being here! I think Grahame's point is that you might get a quicker answer in the Identification section, as more people inhabit it regularly. But you got the answer you needed all the same :t:

yes Grey-faced Buzzard - see photo

photo of an adult on migration - they have two routes: one offshore through Okinawa and ending in Borneo; and the other, a mainland route where some go south through Thailand to Malaysia and head west to Sumatra...while others head SE through Malaysia to Indonesia...

Attachments

• Buzzard.GreyFace.adult.16Oct2014.jpg
    Buzzard.GreyFace.adult.16Oct2014.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Buzzard.GreyFace.adult.17Oct2014.jpg
    Buzzard.GreyFace.adult.17Oct2014.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back