• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I opened the box... (1 Viewer)

I had my first ever try of a habit 8x30 today, makes discussions about 3d in any roof rather pointless IMO, best I'v found in any roof is my current SV, but 3d may be like c/a, more about user optic interface than the optic itself.

The habicht may have been the sharpest bin I'v ever tried BTW.

This is a Leica thread, and so why would another binocular model
be mentioned here ?

A good idea, would be to start or continue a Swarovski thread.

Jerry

For the vast majority not a problem, for the few oddballs like myself, a deal breaker. I sold my SVs because of CA, I see very little of it in the SF and FL.

Agree with you on CA level, difficult to see but more pronounced than on my 8x42HT and always off axis.
In normal use never a real problem also the effect is less with a very good eye placement and proper eyecup setting.

This is a Leica thread, and so why would another binocular model
be mentioned here ?

A good idea, would be to start or continue a Swarovski thread.

Jerry

The brand was unimportant, the point was about 3d in roofs, very minor differences IMO, porros making all look poor, and to be fair Chuck is comparing the Leica to two other brands in pictures and words on this thread.

I had my first ever try of a habit 8x30 today, makes discussions about 3d in any roof rather pointless IMO, best I'v found in any roof is my current SV, but 3d may be like c/a, more about user optic interface than the optic itself.

Have you looked trough the Noctivids (or the 10x50 HD for that matter) to compare the 3D characteristics of the Habicht?

I'v had a Noctivid alongside SV SF couldn't see better dof or 3d to speak of in either, looked pretty much the same to me, all three are fabulous optics.

That would be awesome Anthon! I have the UVHD Plus 8X42 and have really been wanting to understand the improvements in light of a Noctivid purchase which seems all but inevitable at this point.

Coincidentally, I'll be in Amsterdam for four hours this Tuesday on my way to Cape Town.

Last year I compared the new HD+ to my old HD. Whilst there was an improvement, it wasn't enough for me to upgrade to the HD+. There simply was no 'whow!' factor (at least, not more than already amply present in my HD!). How different it is with the Noctivid. It's still raining and snowing over here so I have not yet had a chance to put the Noctivid to work. But the in-store comparison with my HD was enough to convince me that the Noctivid is worth the upgrade from the HD. What I noticed most is a marked increase in sharpness and resolution, which was enough to seal the deal for me.

I have not compared the NV to the HD+ directly, so I should not comment regarding the difference between those two. Al I can say is that my initial impression of the HD+ was 'more of the same, albeit slightly brighter' whilst the Noctivid presented a fresh new and extremely clear view compared to the HD. It's worth a drive to your Leica dealer.

Have a good trip!

I had my first ever try of a habit 8x30 today, makes discussions about 3d in any roof rather pointless IMO [snip]

Yep. Any good porro will beat any roof when it comes to 3D, simple as that. That's physics, and even Leica can't rewrite the laws of physics, even though their marketing department pretends they can.

I agree that these old porros are very, very sharp, probably sharper than even the best roofs. They should be, as they're far simpler constructions that are "easier to get right", and they don't need any fancy coatings on the prisms.

But they're sharp only in the center of the field of view, and in actual use in the field the roofs with their much smoother focusers will beat the Habicht easily.

Hermann

Al I can say is that my initial impression of the HD+ was 'more of the same, albeit slightly brighter' whilst the Noctivid presented a fresh new and extremely clear view compared to the HD. It's worth a drive to your Leica dealer.

That neatly sums up my own impressions as well.

Hermann

Chuck:

Good, better, best ?

Jerry

Well Jerry, I'm going to withhold judgement for now. I need a little more time with the Noctivids and comparing with some of the others. If I were to make the call today....I see no reason to swap an SV for a NVD.

Thanks for all of the great info, Chuck! :t:

I'll join Globetrotter and Arran in the "3D" club. I'm sensitive to it (past ever depth perception test for 35 years) and easily see it in the 7x42 FL, the 10x42 SF, the 10x50SV, and the 10x42L IS (and of course, all the Habicht porros). If it is slightly more pronounced in the NV than other roofs, bet I'd see it there also!

Back birding and glassing on the Trace this weekend!! B :)

Ted

To you, Globetrotter, and Arran....I'm going to give the 3D thing with the NVDs a little more time. I'm in my long stretch at work so it will be a few days before I can really do ANYTHING optic/birding wise.

I SEE 3D I suppose when using really good optics and it usually takes a larger than average FOV. But I've always considered it DOF. 7X, 8X, 10X binoculars will all have a pretty large DOF...larger than you think it would be.

Another thought... Is this 3D something I'm going to have to LOOK for or will it eventually become second nature? Is this something you find useful while birding?

Ted...You on the NATCHEZ TRACE?

You might want to have Swarovski check your bins. The performance you describe is as I've experienced with the original EL bins years ago, but my 8x32 EL is super smooth though requiring slightly more effort in one direction and my 8.5x42 EL SV is silky smooth and requires only a light touch in both directions.

--AP

Thanks for the thought, but I don't think so. As I said...the focus adjustment isn't BAD, it's just not as smooth as the NVD/Conquest HD/SF/etc. The SVs focus adjustment is actually very useable. I'm not complaining, just as observation.

Chuck - posts#26,#27 .....

You're the man!! :king: :loveme:

Your personal collection looks like a well stocked Retail Store display! :eek!:

Thanks for sharing your info and feedback. :t:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks, man!

I've always, personally, struggled to see differences in the "3D effect" of binoculars. I'm not really sure what it means nor how it pertains to a better view.

Thanks for your continued thoughts, these seem like good binoculars to pair with the other alphas, but nothing that's going to knock the SV, HT, or SF down a peg. Unfortunately I don't really consider the SV, HT, or SF huge improvements over the previous generation, for what it's worth.

To you, Globetrotter, and Arran....I'm going to give the 3D thing with the NVDs a little more time. I'm in my long stretch at work so it will be a few days before I can really do ANYTHING optic/birding wise.

I SEE 3D I suppose when using really good optics and it usually takes a larger than average FOV. But I've always considered it DOF. 7X, 8X, 10X binoculars will all have a pretty large DOF...larger than you think it would be.

Another thought... Is this 3D something I'm going to have to LOOK for or will it eventually become second nature? Is this something you find useful while birding?

Hi Chuck.

Try to do the test described by me on post 32.

Have a nice Day !!!!

Chuck

At the British Bird Fair, the way the Nvid's 3D (or whatever it is) manifested itself to me was in the distinct separation between three islands in the lake that were in a line going away from my view point. With regular bins the islands seemed almost adjacent to each other, with the Nvids they were clearly separated by several metres making obvious the distance between the nearest and the last, a handy nearby Habicht porro took this separation to an entirely higher level but to me did confirm that whatever this effect is, Nvids have some of it.

Good luck.

Lee

I discovered 3D by accident when I first used my Ultravid 10x50 HD. I was not familiar with the term 3D in binoculars and I certainly wasn't looking for it. I owned a Trinovid 10x42 and an Ultravid 8x42 HD. Neither have anything that can be described as 3D. I bought the 10x50 for the larger exit pupil and better optics, but to my surprise they had something more to offer..

On the first day in the field it became apparent to me that the 10x50 was different. I was looking at some horses in a field and it was literally as if I stood in between the horses. I could even see depth in between the horse head and its body. I was so surprised by this 3D effect that I took out my 'old' 10x42 to compare the view. The effect was not there at all. Neither could I discern any 3D effect in my 8x42 Ultravid. But the moment I put the 10x50 to my eyes again, there it was: a marked, hard to miss, 3D effect.

Would the eye pieces have anything to do with the impression of better depth of field with the 10x50?

The 10x50 does have a wider FOV than the 10x42; 352'@1000 yards to 336'@1000yards.

If both binoculars have f4 focal length objectives the 10x50 would need a 20mm EP to get 10x and the 10x42 would use a 16.8mm EP or whatever Leica needed if they tweaked the focal length to make it either 16mm or 17mm.

Bob

Ted...You on the NATCHEZ TRACE?

Chuck,

If you can see it then yes, a porro-like 3D depth can be useful for fine detail observation, but certainly not necessary.

On NT...YES, arrived back late yesterday, posted HERE !

Ted

To come back to this quote, I just spent some time with a Habicht 8x30 and my Nocti. I agree with you that the 3D in the Habicht is quite nice. I do not agree that it makes discussions of 3D in a roof pointless.

If we are going to allot points for 3D effect I would rate these bins as follows.

8x42 Ultravid HD *
10x50 Ultravid HD ***
8x30 Habicht *****
8x42 Noctivid ****
8x20 Ultravid -

Yes, 3D images 'pop out' of the Habicht and yes it is sharp. But the Noctivid is right there behind it. The image might not really pop out but it's close. There is a very definite 3D effect which is in no way inferior to the porro Habicht. In fact if we allot points for overal image and ease of use it would be:

8x42 Ultravid HD ****
10x50 Ultravid HD *****
8x30 Habicht **
8x42 Noctivid *******
8x20 Ultravid **

All of course based on my two eyes and maybe one glass of wine :t:

Last edited:
To come back to this quote, I just spent some time with a Habicht 8x30 and my Nocti. I agree with you that the 3D in the Habicht is quite nice. I do not agree that it makes discussions of 3D in a roof pointless.

If we are going to allot points for 3D effect I would rate these bins as follows.

8x42 Ultravid HD *
10x50 Ultravid HD ***
8x30 Habicht *****
8x42 Noctivid ****
8x20 Ultravid -

Yes, 3D images 'pop out' of the Habicht and yes it is sharp. But the Noctivid is right there behind it. The image might not really pop out but it's close. There is a very definite 3D effect which is in no way inferior to the porro Habicht. In fact if we allot points for overal image and ease of use it would be:

8x42 Ultravid HD ****
10x50 Ultravid HD *****
8x30 Habicht **
8x42 Noctivid *******
8x20 Ultravid **
All of course based on my two eyes and maybe one glass of wine :t:

It looks like you are concerned about the importance of 3D, and you have
done a nice job in your personal evaluation.

I don't think 3D has much importance in the total picture, or importance
of binoculars. It is very hard to qualify and so it goes.

I don't consider it at all in my consideration.

Jerry

It looks like you are concerned about the importance of 3D, and you have
done a nice job in your personal evaluation.

I don't think 3D has much importance in the total picture, or importance
of binoculars. It is very hard to qualify and so it goes.

I don't consider it at all in my consideration.

Jerry

I am not 'concerned' about 3D, it's just the subject of conversation. Whenever the Noctivid is discussed, the subject of 3D comes along. Having said that, I'm hooked.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back