• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White rhino poached in French zoo... (1 Viewer)

The only answer to prevent this in the future is to do what they do in some places in the wild and remove the horn so the animal isn't a target?

These people are savages, if they are caught and are not native French, they should be immediately deported after prosecution. Another reason to worry is that they've been able to obtain and transport a weapon, powerful enough to kiill a Rihno.

A

Last edited:
Rhino horns stolen from European museums (AFP data/map)

These people are savages, if they are caught and are not native French, they should be immediately deported after prosecution. Another reason to worry is that they've been able to obtain and transport a weapon, powerful enough to kiill a Rihno.

A
Why the need to suggest not native French? Far more likely some local crime gang who realised there was a potential €150,000-200,000 for the taking there (the rhino killed, plus the other rhinos there that escaped because the perpetrators fled before killing them).

Because the demand for rhino horn comes from Asia, not France.
That doesn't mean Asians did it.

Just this rather nasty right-wing extremist idea doing the rounds that crime can always be blamed on foreigners, with the implicit hint that all foreigners are probably criminals, and therefore scapegoatable and expendable. Much stoked by the likes of the Daily Mail, Daily Express, & Sun, and currently holding sway in the UK government. And of course, totally false.

They may not have done it, but they are funding it.

And honestly, while the Western nations have many things to feel guilty about (colonialism, imperialist foreign policy, CO2 emissions), many Asian nations have an abysmal record when it comes to animal welfare. E.g. China has no animal welfare law AT ALL.

The nationality of the poachers here isn't the issue; local hoodlums could have been hired just as easily as outsourced ones. The zoo issue is about heightening security around these animals and steep penalties for poachers.
There has to be a way to render these horns less desirable. At the least they should be cryptically chipped somehow to immediately track.

If nations further this trade, they should be subject to sanctions, and those sanctions should hurt. The countries involved would hopefully root out the people furthering this madness.

Last edited:
Rhino horns stolen from European museums (AFP data/map)

Why the need to suggest not native French? Far more likely some local crime gang who realised there was a potential €150,000-200,000 for the taking there (the rhino killed, plus the other rhinos there that escaped because the perpetrators fled before killing them).

My point was that with such a horrible crime, the full penalty should be extracted and if that means deportation following prosecution for a non French person, that's what should happen. I did not 'suggest' that they were non native, you did, I said that if they turned out to be.

Try not to be so offended by EVERYTHING Nutty, I make no apologies for the way you twisted what I wrote.

A

Why deport them? France used to have very nice prisons in French Guyana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillon_(film)

I was thinking more of post custodial sentence, IF they were none French nationals, even if they were Brits, they should be deported and lose their right of residence.

I was on a flight once where a young guy from Latvia was in handcuffs and being sent home for something so it can and does happen to EU nationals.

A

Just this rather nasty right-wing extremist idea doing the rounds that crime can always be blamed on foreigners, with the implicit hint that all foreigners are probably criminals, and therefore scapegoatable and expendable...

For once, I agree with the comments by Nutcracker.

For once, I agree with the comments by Nutcracker.

Once again, who blamed anyone?

I suggested that IF the perpetrator were none French, how is that 'nasty right wing' fgs.

Some of you on here should be accountants, you know they say that you can make statistics show anything you want, well that's what you do with the written word.

Accusing anyone who makes a comment about 'none' nationals of any country of being a 'nasty right winger' is ridiculous, it's pathetic. As I posted later, 'none French' means British as well.

A

Last edited:
I was on a flight once where a young guy from Latvia was in handcuffs and being sent home for something so it can and does happen to EU nationals.

Yes, but this guy was probably not being deported for having carried out a crime in the UK (or wherever the guy was being sent from), but because he was wanted for a crime in Latvia. Most likely a result of the European Arrest Warrant that permits fast-track extradition of suspects from one European country to another to face trial.

Yes, but this guy was probably not being deported for having carried out a crime in the UK (or wherever the guy was being sent from), but because he was wanted for a crime in Latvia. Most likely a result of the European Arrest Warrant that permits fast-track extradition of suspects from one European country to another to face trial.

Pure speculation.

Anyone who breaks the law in a country where they are a none resident faces being deported but when British people mention it, it's right wing nastiness, what crap.

Once again, who blamed anyone?

I suggested that IF the perpetrator were none French, how is that 'nasty right wing' fgs.

Some of you on here should be accountants, you know they say that you can make statistics show anything you want, well that's what you do with the written word.

A crime takes place, immediately an idea is thrown into the equation that a foreigner might be involved. Even if not directly blaming a foreigner, it amounts to pretty much the same, the constant in-trend drip drip drip of promoting distrust of foreigners.

A crime takes place, immediately an idea is thrown into the equation that a foreigner might be involved. Even if not directly blaming a foreigner, it amounts to pretty much the same, the constant in-trend drip drip drip of promoting distrust of foreigners.

Lies, damned lie and statistics, you just keep bending people words to make sure someone is offended, that's what you like to do.

A foreigner might be involved, equally they could be French, my point which as usual has been twisted, is that whoever it is should face the fullest penalty and if they aren't French that includes deportation.

That's all I've got to say cos this constant right wing accusation just gets more and more desperate and pathetic.

Pure speculation.

Anyone who breaks the law in a country where they are a none resident faces being deported but when British people mention it, it's right wing nastiness, what crap.

No, not speculation. If they were an EU national and they were in handcuffs on a plane, they were more likely wanted for a crime in the destination country, not being deported after having served a sentence for a crime.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back