• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fossilized collagen fibres (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Fiann M. Smithwick, Gerald Mayr, Evan T. Saitta, Michael J. Benton & Jakob Vinther, 2017

On the purported presence of fossilized collagen fibres in an ichthyosaur and a theropod dinosaur

Palaeontology Volume 60, Issue 3 May 2017 Pages 409–422

Abstract:

Since the discovery of exceptionally preserved theropod dinosaurs with soft tissues in China in the 1990s, there has been much debate about the nature of filamentous structures observed in some specimens. Sinosauropteryx was the first non-avian theropod to be described with these structures, and remains one of the most studied examples. Despite a general consensus that the structures represent feathers or feather homologues, a few identify them as degraded collagen fibres derived from the skin. This latter view has been based on observations of low-quality images of Sinosauropteryx, as well as the suggestion that because superficially similar structures are seen in Jurassic ichthyosaurs they cannot represent feathers. Here, we highlight issues with the evidence put forward in support of this view, showing that integumentary structures have been misinterpreted based on sedimentary features and preparation marks, and that these errors have led to incorrect conclusions being drawn about the existence of collagen in Sinosauropteryx and the ichthyosaur Stenopterygius. We find that there is no evidence to support the idea that the integumentary structures seen in the two taxa are collagen fibres, and confirm that the most parsimonious interpretation of fossilized structures that look like feather homologues in Sinosauropteryx is that they are indeed the remains of feather homologues.

Free pdf: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12292/epdf

Enjoy,

Fred

The three best preserved described specimens of Sinosauropteryx from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of Liaoning Province, China. All three specimens show the preservation of integumentary structures identified by some as feathers, and others as degraded collagen fibres. The integument can be seen as the dark brown patches across the dorsum and tail. A, NIGP 127586; counterpart of the holotype. B, NIGP 127587. C, IVPP V12415; orange staining present across the matrix is probably due to the presence of iron oxides, and is different from the clearly darker colour of the ntegument. Scale bars represent: 50 mm in (A, B); and 100 mm (C).

Attachments

• sinosauropteryx.jpg
    sinosauropteryx.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 18
Any chance we could recreate the fossilisation of such structures in a lab (accelerating it) and compare the results?

Any chance we could recreate the fossilisation of such structures in a lab (accelerating it) and compare the results?

I don't think so. How would you recreate circumstances that occured 120 Mya and how would you replace species, extinct for 120 Mya?

Paleontology is not a sciences that works with experiments, it works with observation of specimen.

Fred

I don't think so. How would you recreate circumstances that occured 120 Mya and how would you replace species, extinct for 120 Mya?

Paleontology is not a sciences that works with experiments, it works with observation of specimen.

Fred

Actually, I have seen some pretty nifty taphonomy experiments testing hypotheses on the mechanics of fossil preservation. I don't think you could test every aspect of integument preservation, but you could probably test some elements of it.

Actually, I have seen some pretty nifty taphonomy experiments testing hypotheses on the mechanics of fossil preservation. I don't think you could test every aspect of integument preservation, but you could probably test some elements of it.

That is true, but of course, taphonomy (the branch of paleontology that deals with the processes of fossilization.) is just a very small part of paleontological research, and indeed some expiriments are amazing.

Fred

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back