• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible "Coenagrion" an "Sympetrum" Dragonflies, GER (1 Viewer)

Mergus1

the Bavarian Birder
Hi,
I´ve been diligent these days ;). The following pictures may show a "Coenagrion" and a "Sympetrum" species. But which one ???

Attachments

• DragonFL_0.JPG
    DragonFL_0.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 127
  • DragonFL_1.JPG
    DragonFL_1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 118
Hi

I think that your Coenagrion is actually Erythromma lindenii. Was it close to a pond? I reckon that the Sympetrum is Sympetrum striolatum but I will freely admit that the Sympetrum family is all a bit confusing to me.

Edit: I know that I said that the spur on the thorax was typical of Coenagrion but lindenii is complicated and has changed name at least once. I am not convinced that it should go with Erythromma or Coenagrion and was perhaps best left on its own as Cercion!

O

Last edited:
Thanks,
I already thought of "Erythromma lindenii" (just under a other name;)). Well, it wasn´t actually near a pond, it was directly near the "Isar", a river in my area.;)
Well "Sympetrum" species aren´t very easy, indeed. Especially if they´re females.

The Isar seems like a nice wide and slow flowing river almost like a lake. lindenii is a lover of nice calm waters and I have only ever seen them on lakes and ponds but it seems they can live on slow rivers.

The fact that no one has said that it is not striolatum is a good start!!

O

The Isar seems like a nice wide and slow flowing river almost like a lake. lindenii is a lover of nice calm waters and I have only ever seen them on lakes and ponds but it seems they can live on slow rivers.

The fact that no one has said that it is not striolatum is a good start!!

O

I've only seen Blue-eye/Goblet-marked Damselfly/Erythromma lindenii on slow flowing rivers so far!

I agree with Erythromma lindenii & Sympetrum striolatum.

Edit: I know that I said that the spur on the thorax was typical of Coenagrion but lindenii is complicated and has changed name at least once. I am not convinced that it should go with Erythromma or Coenagrion and was perhaps best left on its own as Cercion
Unfortunately, the pattern on the side of the thorax seen here is typical of both Coenagrion and Erythromma. The upper 'spur' is useful for seperating Coenagrion and Enallgama, but doesn't help with the similarly coloured lindenii.
In many respects, including behaviour, lindenii is similar to the Red-eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back