• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Vancouver, BC, Canada (1 Viewer)

promisingplayer

Hello,

My name is Kate. I happened to find this website while browsing birding sites this evening. This is a great website!! From what I've read so far, there are people here with great knowledge of birds. I hope that I may be included!

I am born and raised in Vancouver. I live in the north western part of the city at the bottom of the mountains, very close to the beach. There are some great birding areas nearby and throughout the Vancouver area.

I have watched birds as long as I can remember. Birds are one of my passions. I have been so very fortunate to find my boyfriend Les o:), who loves birds like I do. We are listed on the birding pal website.

Thanks for stopping to say hello!

Kate :t:

A bit more from me...
We have set out our birdfeeders again for the fall/winter. We have three feeders, which are a window feeder with black oil sunflower seeds, a hanging vertical cedar feeder with striped sunflower seeds, peanuts, and corn kernels, and a suet feeder. I want to add more within the next month. Our visitors so far include black-capped chickadees, bushtits, stellar's jays, rufous-sided towhees, and dark eyed juncos. Ohhh....I forgor to mention the local squirrel population. I can't wait to see which other birds will visit our feeders this fall/winter. I'm hoping to attract the northern flickers and red breasted sapsuckers in the woods nearby. I'll update this as I have new visitors to our feeders!

ps....About basenjis
If you're wondering what a basenji is, it's a barkless dog from Africa. Basenjis yodel, rumble, and make other noises rather than bark. They are the best dogs...in my opinion. We have the greatest basenji ever....his name is Zazu. He'll be seven on Christmas Eve. I have pictures of him I can email for anyone who wants to see his picture.
ttfn...Kate

Kate

Welcome to BF. Its a great site and can take up all of your spare time to the detriment of other interests. As you say there are some very knowledgable people on this site who's interest is birds but not exclusively so. It seems as if there is someone who knows about anything you may ask about.
I hope you manage to attract many new birds to your feeders this fall and winter, and please let us know what appears!.

Hi Kate,
Welcome to a fabulous place to be. I am learning so much all the time here, not just from the many very knowledgable people on this site, but because talking to them makes ME go and look things up, and research things, instead of thinking, 'I MUST look that up one day!' :hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

Welcome Kate. I'm also in Canada, but in Ontario. I've been out your way a couple of times in the last two years and found some very interesting birds (from an Easterner's standpoint). I remember the Clark's Nutcrackers a ways north of you and some other typically Western birds. When we last visited we bought a timeshare in Whistler, so will be back again at the end of October. Any idea what I might see up there at that time of year?

Welcome to you and Art from another Canadian at the top end of Ontario! :)
Hope you both enjoy the forum as much as the rest of us do!

Kate,
I would love to see pictures of your basenji. I had one of these beautiful dogs several years ago.
Welcome to the site!
Shannon

The Nest

Kate:
I live in the South end of Arbutus St. Vanvouver
I found this nest, just hanging in my back yard. A member of this Forum identified it as belonging to a Bushtit. I found you while searching with that keyword.
The occupants are presently rearing a brood, bringing food every 20 minutes or so.
They move so fast I could not identify, even if I knew the breed.
I'll try to attach a snap or two.

Dunangus
[email protected]

Attachments

• Nest6.jpg
    Nest6.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 205
Hi Kate!
Just wanted to say hello, I'm on the east coast. Nice to meet another Canadian. I used to live in Victoria and Masset, QCI. I loved BC and hope that I might get back there someday.

Hello again

Hello to both Dunangus and SnowyOwl,

It's always great to hear from Canadians. Thanks for stopping to say hello! My boyfriend Les and I will be going out birding today!

Kate

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back