• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (57 Viewers)

Don't think sibe! My thoughts were were focused on firecrest,but when caught up with the chiff, seemed fairly brightly coloured ,but 'just' chiffchaff to me.Posted image to a respected birder ..who confirmed!Have a couple more images(poor) if you want to see.

On this photo.....why Siberian??

Paul

well it doesn't look like your standard collybita and the line between abietinus and tristis is fuzzy and some only told by their DNA
some tristis are clean and Bonelli's like and others are darker, like this bird, but again lacking green tones and have neat yellow green fringes in the wing

tristis usually show neat black bills and black legs and this bird appears not to have that neat all black beak but hey I thought any more photos..

cheers Paul ( and thanks to Melodious for summarising it well for me! :)

Cheers Johnny. Pale on the bill seems to be a feature of some Siberian too. Interestingly recent Dutch ringing/DNA studies indicate that albietinus is exceptionally rare in western Europe (migrating SE in winter); all the non-collybita they caught in Holland in autumn turned out to be tristis when DNA tested.

Definitely picking up green in the mantle (rather then just the back and rump) on the first alternative monitor I tried. Still not seeing pure yellow though. I'll try a couple more. i'd still be interested to see any other photos (out of curiosity if nothing else)

Chiffchaff

here is only other image.....my knowledge is at limits here...so respect any comments.

Attachments

• chiffred2.jpg
    chiffred2.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 153
well it doesn't look like your standard collybita and the line between abietinus and tristis is fuzzy and some only told by their DNA
some tristis are clean and Bonelli's like and others are darker, like this bird, but again lacking green tones and have neat yellow green fringes in the wing

tristis usually show neat black bills and black legs and this bird appears not to have that neat all black beak but hey I thought any more photos..

cheers Paul ( and thanks to Melodious for summarising it well for me! :)

When I first saw this bird properly,knew it was something different to normal;still think its a chiff though!

On a third monitor and getting brown again! I tried a little experiment with three friends (all non-birders) using the last monitor. Covering up everything below the wing bend (so the rump and wing colours didn't distort their overall perception) i pointed to the mantle and asked what colour did they see? Their respective responses were; brownish, greenish, and olive!

I'll have a look at the new picture tomorrow when I have fresher eyes, thanks for posting.

North Cave Wetlands - Wild Bird Cafe

For info to anyone planning a trip, the Wild Bird will not be around for a few weeks as Angie is on holiday. Back on Boxing Day.

For info to anyone planning a trip, the Wild Bird will not be around for a few weeks as Angie is on holiday. Back on Boxing Day.

Stuart do any of you at NCave have a twitter or blog where you report sightings? would be interested in keeping up with the latest news.

Andy - there is a website with NCW sightings at www.northcavewetlands.com
And I think that there is a twitter account attached - don't do twitter myself. I used to supplement that with updates on the E Yorks Birding website but I think that has gone down. I maybe should add more regular updates to this site or start a new thread.
Stuart

Well here's some other thoughts on that Chiffchaff. On first impression the second picture, if anything, makes the bird look more interesting; though blurred it appears to confirm that the ear coverts are very pale, the eyestripe is very weak (especially on the lores), that the crown and nape are indeed brown, that (compared to the colour of the nearby buds) brown is quite dominate in the mantle and scapulars, and it has a quite prominent supercillium. Also the throat and the belly appear to be very white and the bird generally appears quite washed out and pale.

However the fore-supercillium (or just the area above the eye on the first photo), as well as the limited wash on the upper edge of the flanks, appears (to my eyes at least) to be at the yellow end of buff (rather then brownish or 'tobacco'). This along with possible olive/green blotches in the mantle would put it in the 'difficult' as opposed to 'classic' end of Siberian (these birds are discussed at great length on Birdingfrontiers).

Also (judging by the shadows and gloss on the buds) it appears to be in fairly bright direct sunlight and also against a palish background. This may have the effect of making it appear paler then it's 'true' colours, intensifying the white in the underparts, and also reducing the strength of the facial pattern.

To get any further I think you would have to gain prolonged observations in different lighting conditions (in and out of shade for example), noting carefully the exact circumstances, and, of course, hear it call.

As things stand i'd stick with my initial impression of Common Chiffchaff, but to me it doesn't look (at least from photographic impression) like a 'typical' example of collybita.

There must be a chance its still around so i'd be interested if anything further came of it.

Last edited:
Well here's some other thoughts on that Chiffchaff. On first impression the second picture, if anything, makes the bird look more interesting; though blurred it appears to confirm that the ear coverts are very pale, the eyestripe is very weak (especially on the lores), that the crown and nape are indeed brown, that (compared to the colour of the nearby buds) brown is quite dominate in the mantle and scapulars, and it has a quite prominent supercillium. Also the throat and the belly appear to be very white and the bird generally appears quite washed out and pale.

However the fore-supercillium (or just the area above the eye on the first photo), as well as the limited wash on the upper edge of the flanks, appears (to my eyes at least) to be at the yellow end of buff (rather then brownish or 'tobacco'). This along with possible olive/green blotches in the mantle would put it in the 'difficult' as opposed to 'classic' end of Siberian (these birds are discussed at great length on Birdingfrontiers).

Also (judging by the shadows and gloss on the buds) it appears to be in fairly bright direct sunlight and also against a palish background. This may have the effect of making it appear paler then it's 'true' colours, intensifying the white in the underparts, and also reducing the strength of the facial pattern.

To get any further I think you would have to gain prolonged observations in different lighting conditions (in and out of shade for example), noting carefully the exact circumstances, and, of course, hear it call.

As things stand i'd stick with my initial impression of Common Chiffchaff, but to me it doesn't look (at least from photographic impression) like a 'typical' example of collybita.

There must be a chance its still around so i'd be interested if anything further came of it.

no further sightings of the chiff, but suppose only me looking. The bird made no calls whatsoever,,,and having read up,call is needed to make any serious claim!
Thanks for input of all, learning all the time!!

Regards

Paul

more Redhouse birds

today had green woody,treecreeper,marsh tit, woodcock,siskin etc.Lots of redpoll and this accipiter. Big ,probably just sparrowhawk,but grateful for opions on hawk and redpoll.
The hawk was big,nearly buzzard sized,but think is sparrowhawk,grateful for opinions,and sexing/aging if possible?
Redpoll;didn't see rump,but different to most of lesser present????mealy

any thoughts appreciated!
Paul

Attachments

• hawk1.jpg
    hawk1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 149
  • redweb1.jpg
    redweb1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 135
Adult Sparrowhawk (looking big because of the pale/contrasting background; big square head, short neck, a square ended tail, no bulk in the undertail. Also my usual concern over posting site specific details if it had been anything bigger with enhanced legal protection), cant really make out colouration. Redpoll; could be Meally but impossible to really be clear due to the lighting/lack of upperpart detail.

Re Sparrowhawk; presumably female due to size confusion (and structurally looks better for one). I think you can also make out the very thin legs (again a Sparrowhawk feature)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back