• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (26 Viewers)

I'm not too familiar with North Cave. Is Island Lake the one viewable on the eastern path to the Turret Hide?

Hoping the G-w Teal hangs about for a bit

Ken - Island Lake is viewed from Turret Hide. The Teal has been seen most often from that hide but sometimes it has been on Village Lake from East Hide. Good luck.
Stuart

Barnsley Starling Murmuration

Not rare or anything but here's a quick shot of the Starling murmuration which is currently showing well on an afternoon near former Woolley Colliery site, Barnsley. Plenty of predator action-great to watch.

All the best Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 95
Another largish Starling roost is at Grimwith reservoir just off the B6265 between Grassington and Pateley Bridge.Birds seem to come in from the S S.W. starting about 3.15. about 30,000 birds.Best watched from far end of dam after parking in car park.

Ncw

Thanks John and Stuart. For future reference is the scrape known as Village Lake?

Ken - Village Lake is the one viewed from left as you go into Turret Hide or from East Hide. The teal is still present this morning on Island Lake. The teal flock was getting disturbed regularly though with Peregrine, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Red Kite hunting over the reserve.
Stuart

here is only other image.....my knowledge is at limits here...so respect any comments.

thanks..altho something odd is going on with the colours here..this really is a lovely bird and I think this is a Siberian type complete with prominent super
white underparts tobacco tones in the "face" and flanks nice bright fringes in the wing and tail..was watching three of these charmers in South Devon this afternoon

cheers John

thanks..altho something odd is going on with the colours here..this really is a lovely bird and I think this is a Siberian type complete with prominent super
white underparts tobacco tones in the "face" and flanks nice bright fringes in the wing and tail..was watching three of these charmers in South Devon this afternoon

cheers John

Cheers John
Guess not worth submitting,though havinr read up on subject,seems even the call is being brought into dispute as a reliable indicator.

Suppose will have to let go....chiffchaff sp, undetermined race!!

Thanks again

Paul

Barmston gull

Had a walk today on Barmston beach; nice waders etc,but a birder said Kumliens/Iceland gull ,seen last winter , has been reported again.
On way back along beach, this gull flew by;would appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• icelandgull7.jpg
    icelandgull7.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 109
Favourite wader??

Here are a couple of images of mine,not rare, but they seem to follow me wherever I've been!

Attachments

• sanderling3.jpg
    sanderling3.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 55
  • sanderling4.jpg
    sanderling4.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 54
Kumliens

That's the Kumlien's Paul but your shots are harshly lit masking the pigmentation in the primaries and the Venetian blind effect

Thanks for confirmation;is Kumliens considered a full species in its own right by the authorities ? ie do I have a new bird for my Yorkshire/life list?

The latest thinking appears to confirm that Thayer's/Kumlien's/Iceland are all one species with Kumlien's being far more numerous and with a much wider range in world terms then Iceland.

An alternative idea is that Kumlien's is hybrid between Thayer's (as a full species) and Iceland (as a full species). Accordingly the hybrid would be commoner then the parent species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back