• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya Francolin and Others (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
Hi, everyone.

I have received a bunch of photos from a friend who visited Amboseli Nakuru and Masai Mara at the beginning of May. There are a few photos which I couldn't work out despite spending time on the books.

1 and 2 seem to be (two different) Francolins or possibly Quails or Button-quails. They have features that match some of the book illustrations, but the total set of either bird doesn't seem to match anything I can find. Or am I completely wrong and they are something else?

3 is a starling with a red eye, which I thought would mean Hildebrandt's but the colours are wrong. Yet the red eye seems quite clear.

4, I think is a Steinbuck; is this right?

Attachments

• DSC_0461.jpg
    DSC_0461.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0667.jpg
    DSC_0667.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0545.jpg
    DSC_0545.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 66
Thanks

Thanks Patrick,

Sandgrouse is great - in the books they are separated by a lot of birds that don't look anything like francolins, and then they are there. Something can be said for phylotypic sorting.

The Dikdik I accept. I've seen Kirk's Dikdik and I thought this looked slimmer and bigger, but I didn't take the photo, so I guess that's right.

For the starling, I had thought of your identification: but the eye is really red - is it just a trick of the light?

I got the same problem in the past regarding eye's color with Starlings.

It appears that their eye's color is changing during the breeding season.

You can find in a group some individuals with yellow eyes and some with red eyes.

Best regards,
Patrick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back