• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Interesting reading that an Osprey named Rothiemurchus that I had at Carsington on Wednesday was one of Roy Dennis' Scottish satellite tagged birds. It was also reported flying over Ladybower at 13.00pm and then Carsington from 14.50pm.

Spent the day at Carsington yesterday. At Sheepwash, just lots of Canada Geese, Cormorants and some Mallards. At Millfields, there were lots of Coots and Canada Geese too, but also there were 5 BH Gulls, 2 Whooper Swans and 9 Great Crested Grebes.

Very pleased to see this morning that there were two Grey Herons at Whaley Bridge Canal near Furness Vale. One flew in onto the other side of bank and stood there for ages and the other was standing right in front of us staring into the canal before flying over onto the other side of the bank.

Attachments

• heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Spent the day at Carsington yesterday. At Sheepwash, just lots of Canada Geese, Cormorants and some Mallards. At Millfields, there were lots of Coots and Canada Geese too, but also there were 5 BH Gulls, 2 Whooper Swans and 9 Great Crested Grebes.

Very pleased to see this morning that there were two Grey Herons at Whaley Bridge Canal near Furness Vale. One flew in onto the other side of bank and stood there for ages and the other was standing right in front of us staring into the canal before flying over onto the other side of the bank.

2 Whooper Swans??? Really??

Dave, I have attached two pics of the swans seen earlier in morning then the same pair later on in the day.

Their necks were never fully extended so I thought they maybe Whooper Swans...but I could be mistaken. Please let me know what type they are. Apologies if they are not Whooper Swans!

....actually re-looking at the pics they look more like Mute Swans.

Attachments

• swans1.jpg
    swans1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 57
  • swans2.jpg
    swans2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Dave, I have attached two pics of the swans seen earlier in morning then the same pair later on in the day.

Their necks were never fully extended so I thought they maybe Whooper Swans...but I could be mistaken. Please let me know what type they are. Apologies if they are not Whooper Swans!

....actually re-looking at the pics they look more like Mute Swans.

No need to apologise, Birdleg. I was just taken by surprise when I read that you had seen 2 Whooper Swans. A bit difficult from the photos but I'm pretty sure they are Mute Swans. Whooper Swans as far as I know haven't started to arrive in the UK yet. November through to around March is the best time for Whoopers at Carsington.

Thanks Daniel! :t: I sure was v excited seeing the heron so close on the canal path! It did not seem to be scared of people nearby. It was really cool to see the other heron fly right in front of us and glide down onto the canal bank side too.

For anybody who doesn't know, Carsington is still pulling in the Waders. Most of these Waders came in over the weekend but they were still present yesterday. There were 4 Curlew Sands, 5 Ruff and a Knot in front of the Sailing Club. These were either best viewed from the Dam Wall or on the corner of Stones Island. But beware that scoping them is extremely difficult due to the high winds.

Up to 11 Ringed Plover and several Dunlin were flitting around Stones Island and Sailing Club. There was a Greenshank, Green Sand and Common Sand in Brownale Bay.

Water levels there are at their lowest since the mid 90's and is still dropping. Meadow Pipits are taking advantage of the expanding shore line and we estimated around 65 yesterday but there could have been over 100. I'm pretty sure the 100 mark will be hit over the nest few weeks.

There was 6+ Yellow Wagtails and a single Wheatear on the Dam Wall.

One of those very weird ones this morning...........loading some stuff in the boot and having shut it looked down Crich Lane to see a small flock of what I took to be Racing Pigeons hurtling towards me at speed.....I almost ducked as they went over and revealed themselves as a covey of Grey Partridge!! Its ages since Ive seen this many in Derbyshire let alone bombing across the front garden.......i dont know if the high winds had displaced them as they seemed to be following the road in the lee of the woods (winds still high). Called Dave as I knew he was on the mound at Wyver but they must have shot straight through.

Not a rare bird, but surreal none the less.

Tonights Gannet at Carsi will be just reward for those plodding round today.

We were extremely lucky with the Gannet. We'd been down Wyver in the morning then on the way to Carsi we had an hour at Middle Peak Quarry. We had a while in Sheepwash before heading towards the Dam Wall to look at all the Waders. The wind wasn't as bad as yesterday so made viewing a little easier. Nothing new in though...still 4 Curlew Sands, 5 Ruff, Knot and 10 Ringed Plover.

We thought twice about whether to go on Stones Island or not. Luckily we did and as we got to the end and put our scopes down both Clive and Me got a text at the same time from Roger. The text read 'Gannet over Carsi'. A few expletives were shouted out before we saw the bird flying around Sheepwash. It flew around for a while before landing on the water with the Gulls. We then raced to the cars to go round to the new path for better views. We got on the path only to see it flying around again and being chased around by a immature female Peregrine. Unfortunately the Gannet must have got a bit peed off with this and buggered off high North East. Superb end to the day.

Bit of a weird one. Think I remember reading some of you guys checked out the collection they keep at Blackbrook Zoo, would you know if they have or perhaps I should say had any Bald Ibis?

Because I picked up a pair of them, just across the border in Staffs, just west of the Windy Edge Cafe in Winkhill. It was exciting for all of about two seconds until I realised what they were.

Coming to a site near you soon?

Bit of a weird one. Think I remember reading some of you guys checked out the collection they keep at Blackbrook Zoo, would you know if they have or perhaps I should say had any Bald Ibis?

Because I picked up a pair of them, just across the border in Staffs, just west of the Windy Edge Cafe in Winkhill. It was exciting for all of about two seconds until I realised what they were.

Coming to a site near you soon?

Certainly do have them a Blackbrook James.... quite a lot but they all are ringed as far as I could see. Cannot remember what race they were though.....

That Gannet at Carsi was a welcome sight as it hove into view after I dipped the one a couple of years ago!

Only Roger and I in the hide at the time and Roger spent the first few minutes texting;) He must have looked at it for all of 30 seconds when I called it before grabbing the iPhone:-O He did watch it after though....

Seeing it being attacked by that persistent Peregrine was a sight to remember though....

Ringed Plovers reached 12 on Stones late pm by the way plus a new Greenshank perhaps? What will tomorrow bring I wonder............

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Gannet Carsi 1.jpg
    Gannet Carsi 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 86
Great shot of a great find, Steph. Now for the cheeky bit, can I nick that photo and stick it on my blog? I'll mention you of course ;)

12:09 14/09/11 Harrier sp. Derbys Chesterfield 11:45
Montagu's Harrier or Pallid Harrier flew over the town centre late morning (BGuides)

A good local bird whichever it was.......been a couple of yeras since the male Monts on the Moors and of course Pallid is new for the County. Pallid would have been an incredible possibility until recently but what with all the records around the UK at the moment I guess anything is possible!

Pity the Gannet is the only seabird in Derbys so far...... we seem to be returning to the bird free zone again, is there a wall excluding rare stuff around Derbyshire, surrounding counties have at least had a Pec!!!

That harrier record is interesting flew east according to pager, pity not west onto moors where it might have stayed!

Just the usual at Carsi this pm, 2 Knot apparently but I only saw one for sure this pm and 2 Curlew Sands. 80+ Meadows this am counted by Roger and a "new" Pinkfoot at Sheepwash..... hummmm

ATB

Steph'

Pity the Gannet is the only seabird in Derbys so far...... we seem to be returning to the bird free zone again, is there a wall excluding rare stuff around Derbyshire, surrounding counties have at least had a Pec!!!

That harrier record is interesting flew east according to pager, pity not west onto moors where it might have stayed!

Just the usual at Carsi this pm, 2 Knot apparently but I only saw one for sure this pm and 2 Curlew Sands. 80+ Meadows this am counted by Roger and a "new" Pinkfoot at Sheepwash..... hummmm

ATB

Steph'

...hummmmm indeed, that Pinkie has been kicking around (on and off) for a month or two now, we did notice that it isn't ringed today though.
Anyone know any more about that Harrier record?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back