• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Birding Places in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I'm going to Las Vegas next weekend for a week and was wondering where are the best places to see birds? I have American Bird books to help me.

Depends if you are meaning central or can travel out about 10-20 miles? There are some very good places around. I would very much recommend a couple of the sites mentioned in the link in the previous post. Henderson reserve and Corn Creek are very good places indeed. Almost anything can turn up at Corn Creek, which has a record of turning up Eastern vagrants. Henderson, which is slightly to the south of the strip, say 15 miles or so, is a very good place for waders and ducks and suchlike. Getting in is a bit of a performance as a foreigner, though last time I went there was a very helpful guy in reception. You'll have to buzz the gate, then park in a particular place, fill a form in and show your passport if I remember correctly! Do everything exactly as instructed, (this is the US!) It is worth it! If you've not birded the US before most stuff will be new. It also attracts desert birds, including some hard to find ones like Crissal Thrasher & Black-tailed Gnatcatcher. I also found Abert's Towhee, Roadrunner, Verdin and Gambel's Quail there as well as lots of waders etc. ( this in late Oct). Ask in reception about the location of anything you want to see, they are very helpful. That was my 3rd time seeking Crissal's Thrasher, and it was a life bird and very easy there.
I've been to Vegas twice and I can honestly say its one of my favourites in the US. Really small areas where all the birds are concentrated, islands in the desert really I suppose.

Last edited:
I am new here but there are several areas in Las Vegas, one of the best within the Metro area is Sunset Park.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back