• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

KenM

Ran my security (halogen) light and 15w UV light in tandem the last two nights, for the first time this month (having been away) since beginning of August. Not a tremendous selection however....my latest I believe D.perspectalis on Tuesday night, with last night producing at least half dozen of each of Brimstone and Maiden's Blush, an Old Lady, 2 Marbled Beauty, a Lesser-stag Beetle and a Jersey Tiger!...Presume the latter are appearing not infrequently in "London traps", albeit mine was outside on the wall not unlike most of my visitors.

Cheers

I ran a 125w Robinson in Barnes last night. Almost made 100 species (84 determined on-site and quite a few brought home to check). Apart from a few common wasps there were 8 Hornets! As it was alreay quite warm when I started emptying the trap at 6am, they were more lively than usual which also meant a little carnage in the trap (four moths dismembered:- 1 Burnished Brass, 2 Brimstone moth and 1 Jersey Tiger). Thankfully three more of the latter suvived unscathed. 'Migrants' included 4 Silver Y, 5 Rusty-dot Pearl, 2 Rush veneer, 1 Vestal and 1 Diamond-backed moth, although these might just have easily been offsring of earier arrivals. Many specimens were noticably smaller than usual, especially several Light Emeralds. There were 2 Tree-lichen Beauties, 5 Webb's Wainscots and slightly surprisingly, a single Common Clothes moth Tineola bisselliella.
Best wishes
Martin

New for the garden so far this month have been : Aspilapteryx tringipennella, Phyllonorycter harrisella, Eucosma tripoliana, Crocidesma plebejana, Agdistis bennetii, Bucculatrix maritima (photo below, what do you think Martin, looks good to me), Nephopterix angustella, Schreckensteinia festaliella, Bucculatrix cristatella, Pandemis cerasana, Tinea semifulvella, Nut Tree Tussock and Common Wave. Well pleased with the last two as a new macro is quite an event these days |=)|. Agdistis bennetii is a moth that I've been expecting for a long time.

Attachments

• 267 Bucculatrix maritima 13.08.16.JPG
    267 Bucculatrix maritima 13.08.16.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 48
The first time in the field this year :-C

But fitting in a trap for the Royal Tern trip at the weekend allowed us to run one battery operated actinic overnight at Inch Beach, County Kerry on Saturday 27th August and around 30 species were caught. :t:

Alas the only potential Sandhill Rustic proved to be a Flounced Rustic and all Darts proved to be White-lines and Archer's with no Coast Darts found. However, all Ears proved to be the rarer two species - Crinan and Large - and the highlight of the night was Portland Moth. The species is increasingly elusive in Britain and the only site records of which I am aware at Inch Beach predate 1970. Other highlights were Antler Moth, Galium Carpet and Oblique Carpet.

Plenty of Pod Lover larvae also found at Slea Head with a couple of unidentified additional larvae.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Portland Moth (reduced).jpg
    Portland Moth (reduced).jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Ear (Crinan or Large) (reduced).jpg
    Ear (Crinan or Large) (reduced).jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Archer's Dart (reduced).jpg
    Archer's Dart (reduced).jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Antler Moth (reduced).jpg
    Antler Moth (reduced).jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Galium Carpet.jpg
    Galium Carpet.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back