• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon AF-I 600mm f4 anyone? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I am in the market for a 600mm lens and it would appear that only the AF-I (and maybe the AF-S v1) is within my reach, money wise.

Does anyone have any experiences with that lens?

I know that the optical construction (9 elements in 7 groups) is a little different compared to the AF-S version (10 elements in 7 groups), but how much of a difference does it really make in the field?

I am completely of the age and service issue with AF-I lenses, having owned the 300 f2.8 AF-I lens (an absolutely superb lens that has an unfair reputation of being significantly slower than the AF-S version....not true at all!). I have since sold the 300 because I found it too short for my birding needs.

I already have the 70-200 f2.8 and the Sigma 150-500 and my goal is to add the 600 f4 with a second body to complete my wild-life/birding setup.

Would appreciate any info before I burn my $$$$.

Thanks.

Avi

I shoot with 400f2.8 AFI and honestly, never had any issues, my TC1.4 works perfectly.

Optically I dont think you have issues either. If I could I would buy one no probs.

Regards

My only concern with older lenses is the issue or repairs - which can be steep if needed.
The other issue with the non AFS lenses is the use of converters, which you may need.
The optical quality of Nikon prime teles has always been superb:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

I don't know why people seem to think that TCs won't work with AF-I lenses. There is confusion on several forums.

I want to mention that there is NO compatibility issue using AF TCs (14-E, 17E and 20E) with AF-I lenses......

But I agree: your concern about repairs is a real one, but as of now there is still one company in Chicago that repairs AF-I lenses....so we are safe for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

Avi

I shoot with 400f2.8 AFI and honestly, never had any issues, my TC1.4 works perfectly.

Optically I dont think you have issues either. If I could I would buy one no probs.

Regards

That is good to know ....thanks. I was a bit worried about the diff. in optical construction and how that impacts IQ...

But you are right...I think I will be sufficiently happy with the lens.

avi

I don't know why people seem to think that TCs won't work with AF-I lenses. There is confusion on several forums.

I want to mention that there is NO compatibility issue using AF TCs (14-E, 17E and 20E) with AF-I lenses......

But I agree: your concern about repairs is a real one, but as of now there is still one company in Chicago that repairs AF-I lenses....so we are safe for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

Avi

Thanks for the converter info AVI - I wasn't aware of that!

I've had the 300mm f2.8 AF-I since 1996 and it annoys me when the first thing mentioned is "Nerrrr, you can't get the spares anymore".

Its focus is fast and accurate and I suspect the 600mm is the same. I wanted one for ages but the only sellers seemed to be in Japan with a big shipping charge.

I've had the 300mm f2.8 AF-I since 1996 and it annoys me when the first thing mentioned is "Nerrrr, you can't get the spares anymore".

Its focus is fast and accurate and I suspect the 600mm is the same. I wanted one for ages but the only sellers seemed to be in Japan with a big shipping charge.

Could not agree more on the AF of the 300 f2.8.

A bit of good news: I saw one for sale on keh.com for < $5000 and decided to jump for it.

Am panicked and excited!

Should be able to give my feedback tomorrow when I get the lens here.

For the record: I have owned the AF-I 300 2.8 and could not be happier with it. Especially given that I am no pro and don't use the lens daily. So I expect the motor to last a long time.

Avi

Hi :)

I have used the 600mm AF-I f4 for 5 years , and the TC-14E2 for 3 years.
About the focusing speed, most probably the 600mm AF-S is faster, but the AF-I works good enought to catch " fast iron birds " , even with the TC-14E2 !

http://www.photoavia.net/photo?ip=812

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/search.php?p=feuillin&Submit=Search

On those 2 sites, you can see the EXIF.

I hope I could help some of you in their choise for the AF-I.
If you have enough money for the AF-S VR2, go for it, but do not hesitate to go for the AF-I if the money is an issue.

Alexis

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back