• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File Size For A6 Print? (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder said:
Not necessarily, Steve.

I've recently bought a litle Epson R220 photo printer, and - without any fiddling and faffing on my part to profile/calibrate the printer and PC, the prints are coming off absolutely perfectly - couldn't be better.

I think they are great as long as you keep using them which keeps the heads wet. Once they dry out they become a mare. We had a couple of 13" x 19" units at work and because we use them infrequently they become useless after 18 months. They were used only a few months at a time when we tested proofing software.

Last edited:
Prints

hummm.., sounds that you have to use your printer regular to do it justice.
Maybe I'll try it further down the line. I'm on a big enough learning curve with my new camera equipment!!.

steveps said:
hummm.., sounds that you have to use your printer regular to do it justice.
Maybe I'll try it further down the line. I'm on a big enough learning curve with my new camera equipment!!.

Well the way I look at it is you could spend £50 on get over 500 photos printed at your local boots/jessops etc or spend the best part of a £100 on buying a printer and consumables. Then are you likely to get 500 6 x 4 photos printed to keep ? It's not like the old film days when you had to have the duds printed as well. If you select your best shots and maybe give them a bit of a tweak in a photo editor you know you will get good results.

I suppose it depends on the printer, but with my somewhat old Epson Stylus 900 (an 8.5 inch version of the very well-known wide-size Epson 1280), I can keep it working fine even when I sometimes go months between uses. I find that multiple head-cleanings does the trick. Yes, this wastes a lot of ink, and it wouldn't be necessary if I used the printer often, but at least in this case, the printer isn't ready for the scrap heap even with very sporadic use.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back