• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird books covering the world (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
(at least our planet)

My first one was a Smithsonian book, covering the whole planet in 800 birds. I kind of like it, as it looks like a field guide.

Some others look more like coffee table books.

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Birds: The Definitive Reference to Birds of the World
by Christopher M. Perrins, Russell W. Peterson

There are actually several versions with Perrins.

Firefly Encyclopedia.

My kids usually buy me a book for Christmas, so this year I get one of them coffee table bird books. I helped pick the book, but now I can't locate the title or author! The book is already wrapped. It had migration as one theme but the back was a catalog, with full page plates followed by a few pages of write ups. Some 1200 birds.

I saw another copy, it is the Complete Encyclopedia of Birds and Bird Migration, Cartwell Books Inc. Editor I did not catch.

For travel, we all use region guides of course, but these are good for general reference.

Last edited:
Have a look at Handbook of Birds of the World published by lynx, currently on volume 8. www.hbw.com

Then look up superb in your thesaurus and add some.

Then sell a few of your aforementioned kids to pay for it <grin>

Gordon

Those plates really put birds in their place
http://www.hbw.com/hbw/volume8/platesHBW8.html

As these books are in volumes, it is possible I might get one or two. I would be interested in the volume that has woodpeckers. But first I need to round up about 10 more woodpeckers for my list to get $195 level interest in the topic.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back