• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix G1 vs GF1?! (1 Viewer)

Suffolkringer

Inland birding is hard work!!
Hello

Can someone please tell me the difference between the G1 and the GF1? Which one is newer? The GF1 seems to be alot lighter according to the stats but the cameras dont seem to different other than that or am I missing something?

Cheers
Jon

The GF1 is newer, but I think the G1 is still better for digiscoping.
* display
- G1 rotatable - great for digiscoping
- GF1 fixed
* electronic view finder
- G1 great view finder with 1.4 Mill pixel included - really helpful in bright sunshine
- GF1 not so great finder (202k pixel) only option for additional money
* video
- G1 has no video funcs
- GF1 has some HD video, but not as good as GH1
* price
- G1 is cheap
- GF1 - you pay a lot for missing things and the addition of video
* weight
- G1 is 100gr more than GF1

Result: I suggest with no video get the G1, if you need video get the GH1.

Jon,
Bughunter has summarised it well.
On my recent trip to Florida I couldn't use the GF1 at all due to the bright sunlight making the screen "unseeable". Also lack of rotatable screen limits use . I used the G1 and 8400 instead.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back