• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rockfowl's Eclectic Mix / Travels with Mark Andrews (1 Viewer)

marvellous!! a wonderul extravaganza of some the most wonderful of bird drawings I'v ever seen. They deserve far better than to go on a stamp mark!!

P.S I seem to have had a post removed too on this thread, although it did take up about twenty more lines than necessary so can't complain

Someone else was asking about the Cock of the Rock painting on my site, ie how I had got the idea.

Well, lucky enough to spend time at the world's biggest lek does help, the magnificent Volzberg NP in the little visited Surinam.

When I knew I was going to visit this site, I actually had no idea what I was really on expedition for, apart from the sheer joy of adventure. I thought if I was lucky, I'd see some small orange birds flitting around in the gloom. They are actually a lot bigger, shockingly so, appearing about the size of Jackdaws with a plumage that glows like fire, a constant noise and boundless energy!

here are some sketchbook pages -

Attachments

• COR1.jpg
    COR1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 54
  • COR2.jpg
    COR2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 52
  • COR3.jpg
    COR3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 58
  • COR4.jpg
    COR4.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 58
  • COR5.jpg
    COR5.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Some more....

Attachments

• COR6.jpg
    COR6.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 57
  • COR7.jpg
    COR7.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 48
  • COR8.jpg
    COR8.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 63
  • COR9.jpg
    COR9.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 45
  • COR10.jpg
    COR10.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 51
and the finished painting, I like it , but there's not enough 'pizzazz' compared with the sketches.

Today, I'm trying to sketch Swifts, I can tell you, they are a lot harder to do than the old fireballs!!

Attachments

• COR.Paint.jpg
    COR.Paint.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Superb stuff, Mark.
You know me, the b+w do it for me a lot more than the Cock-of-the Rock, great as it invariably is. Perhaps I should get out more!
I've just had two pen illustrations published in Yorkshire Birding. A bit basic but they've come out better than I thought.
I love these done with the watered down ink, marvellous. This seems to really suite species with non-complex plumage patterns. Quick question, matey: were these traced on to hot-pressed paper from your original sketches and then given the once-over, or did you do 'em in the field.

Cheers

Enlightened one

To use the vernacular; "OMG!"

The cock o the rock sketches are mindblowingly good! I don't think I could have kept my pencil from shaking if I'd seen these guys!

Mike

To use the vernacular; "OMG!"

The cock o the rock sketches are mindblowingly good! I don't think I could have kept my pencil from shaking if I'd seen these guys!

Mike

can't put it much better than that! no.3 in particular is 'frickin awsum man!!'

edit: gone back to it and impossible to fairly choose a favourite, they are all too good!

Just been perusing your cock o the rocks Mark...and couldn't resist...[as if i ever can];)....commenting!

as we all know...it often happens doesn't it?...an artist sometimes losing the fresh element in a finished painting...[when he later compares it to the immediate sketches he's done in the field]...!
In this case tho there's no need to worry as all your cocko the rocks work very well as individual pictures in their own right....!

ps...'no rules in art'..???!!! Well...there shouldn't be or it's self defeating isn't it?....[depends on you're definition of 'art' tho i guess]...i'll say no more...;)

pps...tree frogs....aren't they absolutely brilliant things...?!

Superb stuff, Mark.
You know me, the b+w do it for me a lot more than the Cock-of-the Rock, great as it invariably is. Perhaps I should get out more!
I've just had two pen illustrations published in Yorkshire Birding. A bit basic but they've come out better than I thought.
I love these done with the watered down ink, marvellous. This seems to really suite species with non-complex plumage patterns. Quick question, matey: were these traced on to hot-pressed paper from your original sketches and then given the once-over, or did you do 'em in the field.

Cheers

Enlightened one

Hand on heart Russ, only two of these B/W's are based from my field sketches, nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Great working sketches Mark. I love this showing of "honest reportage raw work."

Inspiring to me.

The resultant piece is atmospheric brilliance. You can feel the rank humidity!

Beautiful capturing of a private lek.

Great tips for Russ on ink-washes also...

WoW men !!! those cock of the rocks in the final painting look just like a piece of rainforest from Peru. I have a special love for sketches but final paintings bring them to life. greetings from Uruguay

Just catching up with this thread, the comments cover it, all I can add is I'm struck with the breath of your work and how you manage many different looks and approaches....tho the painting has it all, have to agree the free sketch always seems to have a little extra energy, that formal work cant quite get.So the sketch leave me speechless.

A lot I can learn from looking at your work, esp how your outline is so nuanced and moves around the forms with such grace.

Astounding sketchbook work Mark - this really is toppermost fieldwork. Really looking forward to how you develop the wagtails composition - stunning!

I'm stunned! Having watched these very same birds, this puts them in whole new light. I may just have to take the citrine waggy off your hands if it's for sale.
Makes me wonder why I bother!

Russ

And if you decide to paint another one, I'll be first in the queue - as I told you, they are God's finest creation!

Darrell

Many thanks everyone, quite staggered by the compliments.

I think as an artist, we all strive for something that perhaps occasionally/sometimes/more often/if ever? can be reached? perhaps its in the mind! ...though we'll try anyway!! :smoke::-O

I'm rarely completely happy with stuff myself, always fiddling, perhaps to close too the subject. Hey ho onward and upward!

All appreciated, cheers :t:

Last edited:
And if you decide to paint another one, I'll be first in the queue - as I told you, they are God's finest creation!

Darrell

Cheers mate, compliments from the Pipit and Wagtail King, most appreciated.

Actually working on a bigger piece right now, just to see whether I can pull it off. I will cast it past your knowledgeable eyes some stage soon....or not if I make a mess of it ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back