• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I just bought... (1 Viewer)

Flymo Fo

Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem
A Hawke Nature Trek 80mm ED spotter with a 20-60 eyepiece and a Sony T2 mount for my Alpha 33 SLT.

Did my research and decided the Hawkes looked the best of the price Range sub £400 ish..

The guys at LCE Derby - were very helpful - the shop was quiet 'cos all the punters were hamming it up for the Royal Wedding
:king: :gh: :kiss: B :)

First I tried a Hawke Frontier 80mm ED - the focus mechanism was amazing but the image quality was awful - very bad chromatic aberration - I deliberately looked at chimney line with bright sky behind it. The red chimneys looked Yellow and Blue! not very impressed at all.
Then a Nature trek 80mm non ED - which was actually better than the Frontier ED! - still not good enough to digiscope with.
Finally the Nature trek 80mm ED - completely different excellent image sharp and bright with virtually no CA even looking the purposefully CA prone chimney vs bright sky scene.
So I bought it. :t:

Had a wee play at home to discover the Tek Trek magball head I use on my Manfrotto Tripod isn't teddy enough for the job - too wobbly. :-C So, tomorrow gotta buy a new MF ball head.. Will write a review on the 'scope when I've had a good chance to evaluate it fully.

Anyone interested? :scribe:

So far only complaint is severe vignetting throught the camera at less than 30X mag - so not much of problem ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back