• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Lens to Buy (1 Viewer)

woodsc

Hi Everyone
Just joined the forum ~ hence my first thread
I have just found an interest in bird photography and obviously my first task is to purchase a suitable lens
I have a limited budget hence don't want to pay 4/5K ~ to start off I am looking to spend £1500 and have been looking at reviews on the Nikon 300mm f4 prime lens in conjunction with using a Nikon 1.4 converter.
I have a Nikon D7000 which is not full frame so the conversion factor kicks in so the 300mm lens would shot at over 400mm and with the 1.4 converter would be in excess of 500mm
I want to use Nikon lenses only
Any comments please or other suggestions of other focal lengths would be appreciated ~ I'm a novice/beginner and don't know what to buy for the best results
Looking forward to some expert advice
Regards..Colin

I think the ideal situation would be to have more than one lens. A long lens is required for distant birds but a shorter one that you can walk around with and don't need a tripod is also very useful for closer subjects and flying birds when they are close enough.

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the wonderful world of bird photography - it's a long, slippery and addictive path ;)

A couple of points. Firstly don't think that you are automatically getting more reach by using a crop camera. It's all about pixels on subject .... and the size of those pixels matters too. I won't go into it here but it's a long and highly debatable subject. However the D7000 is a proven and reliable camera and for bird photography has some pluses (buffer) and well as minuses (AF & MPs) over the newer D7100. It won't let you down.

I also question why you only want Nikon lenses ? In your budget range there are some excellent Sigma birding lenses. That said you will have to go a long long way to better the 300/4 and the x1.7 convertor (the x1.4 works just as well of course but most birders using this combo go with the x1.7) the only downside being the 300/4 has no VR. However if you are intent on an all Nikon set-up then there is really no question that the 300/TC combo will rock your boat !

I have been shooting at 300/500/600 mm and in most cases (99% !) the longer the better (though weight and AF speed does come into it) and minimum focus distance is very important for warblers/robins/tits and other birds that may come very close. Also when in challenging light conditions the faster your lens the better - so a lot depends on your usual haunts and the quality of the light there too.

Last edited:
Hello Frogfish
You're obviously up to speed ~ appreciate your comments
The reviews I have read state the 1.7 converter tends to knock the quality whereas they say using the 1.4 will not
Just an open question if you were in my situation what would you go for?? (not limiting to Nikon)
Thanks again
Regards..Colin

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the wonderful world of bird photography - it's a long, slippery and addictive path ;)

A couple of points. Firstly don't think that you are automatically getting more reach by using a crop camera. It's all about pixels on subject .... and the size of those pixels matters too. I won't go into it here but it's a long and highly debatable subject. However the D7000 is a proven and reliable camera and for bird photography has some pluses (buffer) and well as minuses (AF & MPs) over the newer D7100. It won't let you down.

I also question why you only want Nikon lenses ? In your budget range there are some excellent Sigma birding lenses. That said you will have to go a long long way to better the 300/4 and the x1.7 convertor (the x1.4 works just as well of course but most birders using this combo go with the x1.7) the only downside being the 300/4 has no VR. However if you are intent on an all Nikon set-up then there is really no question that the 300/TC combo will rock your boat !

I have been shooting at 300/500/600 mm and in most cases (99% !) the longer the better (though weight and AF speed does come into it) and minimum focus distance is very important for warblers/robins/tits and other birds that may come very close. Also when in challenging light conditions the faster your lens the better - so a lot depends on your usual haunts and the quality of the light there too.

Colin I have the Nikon 300/4 and have the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's IMHO I wouldn't use the 1.7 on that lens it just doesn't deliver the mustard, the 1.4 is a fine combo and many on this forum would praise that.
Don't forget and you would need to consider very carefully but you could get a Nikon 1 V2 for example, with the Nikon adapter and a 300/4 you would have a theoretical 830mm f4 lens (I've just posted an image with that body). Its not all roses, and depends on where you want to go, if your interested in static. swimming, slow moving birds then it would be fine, if you are thinking of birds in flight and in difficult light the electronic viewfinder and control may be hard to accommodate. if you are not overly bothered then you could pick the whole lot up for @£1200 if you get a used body (as I did), stick on the 1.4 TC and you'll have an 1100mm f5.6!!
Of course of you're starting out with DSLR's and you feel that in the future you may want to upgrade then stick with either a D7100 or a D300 (s) both you will be able to pick up used with warranties from many stores and save you the price of a new one.

Hi Steve
Many thanks for your comments
Just been having a look at some of your images Wow!! that's my goal to take images of your quality
Note you seem to use a variant of focal length lenses
Getting away from the Nikon 300mm f4 ~ what would you recommend? to use with my D7000 ~ Nikon 300mm f2.8 with 1.4TC get impressive write ups and I note you have used this lens ~ have you used it with a 1.7TC ~ if so do you lose any quality?
I was up in Northumberland in August for general holiday ~ first visit ~ want to go back armed with the right lens and visit the Farne Islands to get the Puffins ~ looking at May 2014 will they be there?
I hired a S/H Nikon 300mm f4 from London Camera Exchange for a weekend and took my first birds (put a couple on the forum ~ please have a look) didn't use a converter just lens
Regards Colin

Colin I have the Nikon 300/4 and have the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's IMHO I wouldn't use the 1.7 on that lens it just doesn't deliver the mustard, the 1.4 is a fine combo and many on this forum would praise that.
Don't forget and you would need to consider very carefully but you could get a Nikon 1 V2 for example, with the Nikon adapter and a 300/4 you would have a theoretical 830mm f4 lens (I've just posted an image with that body). Its not all roses, and depends on where you want to go, if your interested in static. swimming, slow moving birds then it would be fine, if you are thinking of birds in flight and in difficult light the electronic viewfinder and control may be hard to accommodate. if you are not overly bothered then you could pick the whole lot up for @£1200 if you get a used body (as I did), stick on the 1.4 TC and you'll have an 1100mm f5.6!!
Of course of you're starting out with DSLR's and you feel that in the future you may want to upgrade then stick with either a D7100 or a D300 (s) both you will be able to pick up used with warranties from many stores and save you the price of a new one.

Last edited:
Hello Frogfish
You're obviously up to speed ~ appreciate your comments
The reviews I have read state the 1.7 converter tends to knock the quality whereas they say using the 1.4 will not
Just an open question if you were in my situation what would you go for?? (not limiting to Nikon)
Thanks again
Regards..Colin

Hi Colin,

You can find many shooters over on the Fred Miranda website (inc. many pros) using different combinations of Nikon lenses and TCs. There are plenty of stunning bird shots using the 300/4 & x.7 combo (as well as the x1.4) but maybe Steve is correct and that to begin with it may be a more difficult combination for you.

TBH for a newbie to wildlife/bird photography the Sigma 150-500 delivers on both price and performance (no need to go for the more expensive 50-500) and if you pick up a good used one from a dealer (with a guarantee) I think you'll be very happy and save some money whilst you learn the ins/outs until you are ready to go for a higher quality set-up.

My budget does not allow expensive new long lens expense.

I purchased a 400mm f3.5 AIS manual focus with TC14B in excellent condition for $1,200. The photo quality is outstanding on my D7100 with a sturdy tripod. Not great for BIF however, that is not the main subject matter or my interest.

Regards,
FK

Colin--
I started using the D7100/Nikon 300mm f4/TC14EII combo as a walk-around lens for handheld bird photography a few months ago and have been very happy with it. Check out my Flickr site for examples of what it can do (the last 80 or so photos--many heavily cropped--were taken with this combo). I realize you have the D7000 not the 7100 but I imagine the results would not be radically dissimilar.

Hi Colin,
I have 3 diferent Nikon cameras, D4, D800 and D7000. For bird photography I'm using a Nikon 300 mm f 2.8, often with a 2.0 III converter on it. For non-fliying birds, i.e. not moving around very fast, and at a distance so you have to crop the picture the D7000 and D800 gives the far best results. I think the D7000 and 300 mm F4 will be very good value for money for bird photography.

Welcome to an exciting world!
MvH Hasse

Colin thanks for the comments on my images. My website is as up to date as possible.

If you had the budget for a 300/2.8 then get one. It's a stunningly sharp lens and works veery well with all TCs. A friend of mine has that set up D7000 with 300/2.8 and the TCs and she loves it.
If you don't and get the 300/4 you'll find that you can get good images with a 1.7 but it'll need a little patience and AF will suffer.
My recent Farnes images were all taken with the 300/2.8 except the close up flying arctic terns.
You may want to try Mifsuds, WEX etc to see if you can save a little money on a used warranted lens. I bought my used 600/4 from Mifsuds and can vouch for their superb service.

A great start to your photography. Your images underpin the quality of that combo. Don't forget that the Nikon rumour website is suggesting that a vr version of the 300/4 is in the wings as well as an improved 1.4tc. My advice unless you buy the 300/2.8 is keep you powder dry for a while to see what transpires.

Last edited:
Big Thank You

Many Thanks
To all you guys who have taken the time to give your valued feedback it is appreciated
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back