• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Anthony Britner said:
Very simply.

No. of years birding: About one
No of birds seen: around 140
No of birds seen this year: around 136
Rarest birds seen: green heron & stilt sandpiper.
Birds I want to see: Hawfinch and slavonian grebe. (will see them this winter)

I like seeing new birds, but I'm not fussed when it comes to numbers.

Most of my birding is done on my own, although I do occasionally meet up with other birdwatchers. (I did arrange the BF welsh bash afterall).

I also went up a hill, called hope mountain the other day, saw 4 buzzard, 3 kestrel and 2 mistle thrush.
140 species after only one year birding is excellent.
Rarest birds: Green Heron and Stilt Sand. Wow!

Cheers,
Jyothi

If nobody's already mentioned it, have a look at voluntary wardeing for the RSPB on their reserves. You work on the reserve but also get plenty of opportunity for birding. You could also offer to do similar for other reserves. You usually have to pay your own food but you sometimes get accommodation for free.

I already do almost exactly that. The leader of the local RSPB group takes me to Bowling Green Marsh regularly. Walk in to the hide, set up our scopes, and have 3 hours quality birding 'with the public'. It's great fun, and John usually recruit at least 2 people to the RSPB. In between telling people where the Bar-tailed Godwits breed, and showing people how to tell the difference between them and Blackwits, I've even managed to pick up a few lifers (Osprey, LR Plover, Gargeney). There's always masses on offer at this great reserve, if you're down in Devon, give it a go.

Greetings from America! I am 16 and live in Texas and have been birding about 3 years...my life list isnt that great :bounce: but the TX coast is probably the greatest birding on earth.... ;)

nctexasbirder said:
Greetings from America! I am 16 and live in Texas and have been birding about 3 years...my life list isnt that great :bounce: but the TX coast is probably the greatest birding on earth.... ;)

In which case I'll have to visit one day...

Sam

Seconded. Mind you, Norfolk in September... I'm waiting for someone to tell me to shut up about it! Not you though Sam!

Excellent, people my age. I'm 17 and have been birding for about 6 years almost exclusively Kent apart from the odd family holiday to Cornwall and a couple of weekends to Norfolk. It is kent where I have seen pretty much all my birds and highlights in the past few years have included Canvasback, Pallid Harrier, Little Bittern, Pacific Golden Plover and 2 Red-rumped Swallow. I'm sure everyone else will agree that with non-birding parents getting around is a pain especially twitching! Can't wait to drive - driving test in a month!! I'm hoping to reach 350 species before i'm 19 (I know its a long shot but its worth a go).

Down here in Kent I see very few people my age out and about but i've got some excellent friends (twice my age) at Dungeness RSPB where I am a qualified volunteer.

British list:165
Last lifer: Bee-eater at Dungeness

My bird list has slowed down recently due to a huge interest in moths and moth twitching!! As well as tearing all the ligaments in my Knee last year 11 months on crutches but still managed to twitch Laughing Gull and Dusky Warbler - a week after coming out of hospital for a final operation

All this birding however isn't doing my A levels much good and I'm having to retake most of my AS's. Hoping to do ornithology at Uni though and that doesn't really require any qualifications.

Good birding and if any of you are in Kent one day it would be nice to meet up.

Paul

You've seen some great rares. What common birds are absent on your Brit list? Have you ever been to Devon? What's Norfolk like? What's the rarest bird you've found yourself?
Regards,
Jyothi (say it Joe-t)

passion for birds

I'm only 11 and already I've some amazing birds my dad bought a canon 350d camera
and i've got pictures of dragonflies, birds and bugs my local patch is in preston at brockholes quarry :bounce: :h?: :frog: so iwas wondering if I could put some in the gallery

lammy :scribe: :king:

lammy said:
I'm only 11 and already I've some amazing birds my dad bought a canon 350d camera
and i've got pictures of dragonflies, birds and bugs my local patch is in preston at brockholes quarry :bounce: :h?: :frog: so iwas wondering if I could put some in the gallery

Hiya Lammy! Got a niece your age but more into music I'm afraid. I'm sure one of the Mods will officially welcome you at some point and let you know about your photos but in the mean time:

A very big welcome to Birdforum!

Hope you stay with us and keep up with your birdwatching!
(o)<

lammy said:

Welcome to BF! Hope you enjoy it...

More youngsters the better... lets put the old school to shame...

Sam

The Firecrest said:
You've seen some great rares. What common birds are absent on your Brit list? Have you ever been to Devon? What's Norfolk like? What's the rarest bird you've found yourself?
Regards,
Jyothi (say it Joe-t)

Hi Firecrest, the only common bird i'm really missing from my list is Wood Warbler - unfortunately, i think, has been lost as a breeder in Kent. All those scottish species (Caper, Black Grouse, Red Grouse etc) are also missing.

I've only been to Prawle Point to see the Cirl Buntings. The family holiday is always in Cornwall so unfortunately I always go straight through. Id love to try places like Bowling Green Marsh and the other reserves.

Norfolk is amazing. I've only been a couple of times and it is only for a few of days. I was blown away the first time I went - saw Sammy, Stone Curlew and loads of waders at Titchwell. The last time I went I managed a male Montagues Harrier.

The rarest bird I've found myself is a Red Kite on my local patch in Kent - not bad I don't think. Found a Red-crested Pochard at Dunge RSPB reserve but not sure how real that was.

hi all

bit late joining this thread thanks to a lack of sustained internet access lately.

forget all that rubbish about which is the best located uni to go to for birding. the best way to see shed loads of birds when you're young is to pack in proper education in favour of a half arsed conservation qualification as soon as you legally can, spend a year and a half working/birding in the best birding sites in the country (norfolk, portland and scilly in my case) and then start travelling around the world before you manage to pick up any responsibilites. just dont tell your parents it was me who gave me the idea

good birding

joe

The Firecrest said:
And to me! Mind you, I'm moving to Norfolk when I'm 18. Probably Cley.
You've got it all planned out already? Blimey! How about moving to Fair Isle... bit remote, but with birds like those who could complain?

Either that or somewhere like the Azores :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back