• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter (1 Viewer)

Replacement Head Screws

blue185jay said:
:egghead:

Hi Robert,

Where did you get the screws you used to replace the original allen screws? I have one of SRB-Griturn's cable release brackets, but the screws in it are too short.

Robert D.

Blue185Jay,

Look in the fastners section (screws, bolts, nails, etc.) of you local hardware store. Many have cabinets with special fastners...look for "thumb screws". I suspect all the threads are "metric" on the SRB-Griturn. If you can't find them locally, try Googling McMaster Carr and search for "thumb screw" they have all kinds in their cataloge. Hope this helps?

Dick

Neil I think that it could do so but on a very very minor scale which could probably be corrected on processing but that is not really the point there should be no movement as it is not just a question of image sharpness. This flexing downwards would tend to make the camera pount more upward and therefore could affect image composition and light.

Blue185jay I obtained the screws from Terry at SRB.

Robert L Jarvis said:
Neil I think that it could do so but on a very very minor scale which could probably be corrected on processing but that is not really the point there should be no movement as it is not just a question of image sharpness. This flexing downwards would tend to make the camera pount more upward and therefore could affect image composition and light.

Robert,

While viewing your origional post on SRB adapter the first adapter you used seemed to have screw at base of eyepiece. On the finished adapter I didn't see screw does the SRB screw into the eyepiece cover threads on the Kowa scope? If so that must be extremly solid.

Steve

Reply on "thumb screws"

assayer said:
Blue185Jay,

Look in the fastners section (screws, bolts, nails, etc.) of you local hardware store. Many have cabinets with special fastners...look for "thumb screws". I suspect all the threads are "metric" on the SRB-Griturn. If you can't find them locally, try Googling McMaster Carr and search for "thumb screw" they have all kinds in their cataloge. Hope this helps?

Dick

Thanks Dick for the info!

Robert D. Crenshaw

Reply on thumb screws

Robert L Jarvis said:

Thanks Robert for the information. I have sent Terry an email asking for some screws.

Regards,

Robert D. Crenshaw

I finally got around to testing the Cable Release today. I started out sitting in the shade (this is my standard testing perch at 7 metres ) but shortly I had side light. It is most likely due to light getting into the scope eyepiece. I will do some testing on this. Surprisingly this did not seem to impact on sharpness (DOF is another issue but as I'm so close with a 30x lens there is not much anyway ). By setting Continuous Mode and using the half-press I was quite happy with the operation and the results. If anyone else has had this flare issue let me know. Neil.
ps the flare in the bulbul is extreme and is not representative but that in the magpie-robin photo appeared in most of the images from this test

Attachments

• rw bulbul.srb.grit.flare DSCF0471.jpg
    rw bulbul.srb.grit.flare DSCF0471.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 242
  • magpie robin.fem.srb.grit.flare DSCF0449.jpg
    magpie robin.fem.srb.grit.flare DSCF0449.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 268
Neil said:
If anyone else has had this flare issue let me know.

I have experienced similar spots in similar lighting conditions. The eye-lens of my Swaro 20xSW eyepiece is concave and it may reflect bright side light. I can usually prevent it just by shading with my hand.

Ilkka

Morgan,
It certainly is nicely designed. What camera are you using with it and do you use the remote cable release? Can you post a photo taken with your setup? Neil.

Neil said:
Morgan,
It certainly is nicely designed. What camera are you using with it and do you use the remote cable release? Can you post a photo taken with your setup? Neil.

Fuji F30
I do use the cable. It can induce a bit of wobble if you're not very careful. Using the 2-second delay is a reliable remedy.
No newsworthy birds around here since the adapter arrived, but I did take these photos just to test. These were both near dusk, and the Robin fairly far away and backlit at high zoom - - the idea being to test out the F30's ability to deal with low light.

Attachments

• DSCF0331.jpg
    DSCF0331.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF0349x.jpg
    DSCF0349x.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 243
The vibration issue when using the cable release can be minimised by holding the release down through a Continuous Series. If you release the shutter too early you get this effect ( I only tested on one cable release ). I wanted to create this effect. This was not all the time and if you're careful you may avoid it. Neil.

Attachments

• common sandpiper.srb-griturn.blurDSCF1481.jpg
    common sandpiper.srb-griturn.blurDSCF1481.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 213
My Experience With the F30 & SRB-Griturn Adapter

If anyone is interested I have posted a number of digiscoping shots taken with my Fuji FinePix F30, Leica Televid APO77 Scope, and SRB-Griturn Adapter. I have modified the adapter with a spacer that prevents light leaks and adds a little stability to the system. I also placed a small adhesive backed felt disc on the camera's shutter release button, which prevents slippage of the metal tip of the cable release on the metal shutter release button.

http://www.pbase.com/dlee/ds2007

Last edited:
Nice work Dick. I'm going to get my "handyman" mate to have a look at it in a few weeks and make some adjustments. Neil.

Just a question - how do you maintain consistent distance from the eyepiece to the lens using the adaptor - is there not a tendency to collide with the eyepiece or shoot at an angle. Do you have to manually hold the camera away all the time?

Allen,
The top "locking wheel" has a Stop. After adjusting the Arm and the camera angle so it's square with the eyepiece but not touching, you tighten the allen screw and it shouldn't move when using the Self-timer and the cable release. It should be packed away carefully when travelling though as it will slip under pressure. Neil.

Neil

Thanks but do you need to set the 'stop' everytime you swing out and back (i.e. does the stop function independently of the swing) or do you set it once and can then use the swing functon without fear of collision!

Allen said:
Neil

Thanks but do you need to set the 'stop' everytime you swing out and back (i.e. does the stop function independently of the swing) or do you set it once and can then use the swing functon without fear of collision!
You just have to set it once.

Allen said:
Neil

Yes , you swing it away no problem and the STOP won't let the eyepieces touch when you swing back. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back