• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swans (1 Viewer)

Mannix

Today there were two black swans on our local lake. They had red bands on their legs. I wondered whether there was a place where information about these birds was collated. I looked on the internet but found no clues. Does anyone know whether the band numbers are useful to people or who to contact if they are? The numbers are clearly visible.

Last August I saw this Black Swan at Wigan and posted it on the forum (you will find the thread somewhere). Apparently they are not natural in the UK but from Australia. Generally you can say they are captive/released although I was told that some have now bred in the UK.
I know this doesn't answer your question about reporting them but thought yuo would fine it interesting.

Attachments

• Swan (Black).jpg
    Swan (Black).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 84
Hello there,

If you sighted the birds around the Doncaster area (I suspect Doncaster Lakeside?), then the rings are likely to belong to me. I occasionally Darvic Ring the odd Black Swan, although of course no BTO ring as they are captive escapees. I find their movements just as interesting as the Mute Swans I ring, as there are now so many Black Swans living in the wild. We ring large numbers of Mute Swans throughout Yorkshire through the Sorby Breck Ringing Group (www.sorbybreckringinggroup.co.uk), last year ringing nearly 700 Swans alone.

If you drop me a line with the details (location, date etc) of the birds, then i'll be more than happy to supply their ringing histories. My email address is info 'at' ysrh.org.uk.

Best Wishes,

Dan
Yorkshire Swan Rescue Hospital/Sorby Breck Ringing Group

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back