• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on fledgling magpie in garden - Melbourne, Australia (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I have a young fledgling magpie in my garden. It has been there for 6 days and is not flying. It's parents are guarding it closely and feed it regularly.

My question is, how long will it take to fly?

I am keeping two very energetic dogs inside to protect it, and also my three year old can't venture out as the magpie parents are very aggressive. I really want it gone, but don't know what to do. I do not want to harm the bird.

Any advice you be great.

Thanks in advance.

In generaly, fledglings have a period after they 'dlege' (jump out of the nest) where they are incapable of much flight. They remain in the area of the nest for from a few days to somewhat longer before they hop, fly short distance testing their wings, and move from the immediate area of the nest. Exactly how long for your magpie I can't say but you mention it's been there for almost a week so I would imagine it's close to moving on. But, that assumes there's suitable habitat (i.e., some cover for hiding) in the area. The fledgling period is one where the birds are most suceptible to predation.
I appreciate your providing safe haven for the fledgling. After spending a year in Oz must say that your magpies are one of my alltime favorites!

re

Hi Steve,
Thank you for you kind response. I'm a Brit living in Australia so I'm not too family with the nesting habits of magpies. Like you I'm quite fond of them, especially their morning chortle!
The fledgling in question is hoping all over the garden, and he flaps his wings a lot without being airborne. Today is the 7th day in our garden, and I'm desperate for him to go. The parents have no got incredibly aggressive, so we can't use the yard at all. I'm panicking as I've read some birds can take 4 weeks to fly. Do you think this is likely, I don't think I can cope with the dogs inside for a few more weeks (although if we have to there's no other option)?

Thanks
Kathy

I'm not too familiar with magpie fledglings, although I do understand how aggresive the parents can be and therefore some of your concerns. Do you have a substantial front garden as well as back garden? If so it may be possible to arm yourself with a bike helmet, sunglasses, towel etc, try catching the fledgling and just moving it to the front yard (not via the house if possible, a side gate or something so the parents can still see). I wouldn't usually suggest moving them, causes a lot of stress to all parties, but not knowing how much longer it will be flightless for, it is an option I guess you could consider if you have the sort of front yard for it. Otherwise, I'd say probably within the next week it'll be taking flight and I'm afraid there's probably not much else you can do. Best of luck to you. :)

Then again, moving it to the front yard will cause problems whenever you're coming and going, although it would allow you to let the dogs out the back and your child in the yard. But it's your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back