• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (2 Viewers)

Lady Orchids

Visited two young ladies in the chilterns this morning - one lady-monkey hybrid in flower

Attachments

• 2 little ladies.jpg
    2 little ladies.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 109
  • little lady-monkey.jpg
    little lady-monkey.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 100
For those that know the Lady site I mention I was approached by police asking what I was up to - the site is used for gay dogging so please be cautious if you visit.

Cheers

James[/QUOTE]

You been gay dogging again James!?!...:-O;)

yep - the season has ground to a halt in Kent

Yesterday I had 47 Lady Orchids near Queensdown Warren in various stages, White Helleborine yet to flower and Man Orchids still in bud - hooray when it gets warmer!

For those that know the Lady site I mention I was approached by police asking what I was up to - the site is used for gay dogging so please be cautious if you visit.

Cheers

James

Yes, rather slow going at the moment James but what's there is certainly worth seeing. Found a Man just starting to open near Folkestone this morning.

Alan

PS Did the police really say "up to" ?

Attachments

• Early Purple, white with spots 05,05,12 .jpg
    Early Purple, white with spots 05,05,12 .jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Lady 06,05,12 .jpg
    Lady 06,05,12 .jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Man Orchid 07,05,12 .jpg
    Man Orchid 07,05,12 .jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 94
Hi everyone, that time of year again!
We were planning a visit to Cumbria for the local specialities on 14/5 but the warden tells us it's a late year and we'll need to go at the end of May. That leaves us with a blank day - does anyone know whether the various Marsh Orchids are showing at Newborough, Cors Goch etc,

Jeff

Lady orchids

looking at the pictures that Heakl took in Kent yesterday compared with the ones I took in Oxfordshire on the same day of Lady orchids - what a range of colouration - mine is almost the colour of a military - I have seen them looking a bit redder here -re - burnt orchid colour in the past -it was very dull and it was raining but I think they were still quite bluey

:-OI'll be a bit more careful what I post after the responses I got:-O

Re Lady Orchid variation - if you are lucky enough to visit a large colony the variation can be mindblowing - they can be all shapes and shades - a very special orchid.:t:

We were planning a visit to Cumbria for the local specialities on 14/5 but the warden tells us it's a late year and we'll need to go at the end of May. That leaves us with a blank day - does anyone know whether the various Marsh Orchids are showing at Newborough, Cors Goch etc,

Jeff

Hi Jeff - I think mid May may be a tad early for Anglesey - but hopefully someone more local can help - I have visited usually in early June but this is a late year

Regards

James

Yes, rather slow going at the moment James but what's there is certainly worth seeing. Found a Man just starting to open near Folkestone this morning.

Alan

PS Did the police really say "up to" ?

Hi Alan - like the Man Orchid shot - the lower flower looks fed up with it's arms cross.....

..and yes that's what the police said to me. I doubt they would have stopped if I was out with the family, but I was on my own....

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

This is my post from last year when I went (post 107): http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=196796&page=5

However, as already suggested, it's a late year so I wouldn't want to go until about mid-June to catch the marsh and fly orchids.

Mike.

Birds nest orchids

I would like to take some decent pictures of birdsnest orchids this year - would appreciate it if anyone could let me know of any good sightings - esp Warwickshire - or Chilterns - Thanks

Early Purples

Is anyone else noticing lots of Early Purples this year?

I visited a local wood this week, expecting to find about 25 - 40 plants and found a total of 95. In another wood where normally there are just a few I found 200.

Rich M

A lovely range of GWs this afternoon as well - just glad the rain has stopped for a while!

Attachments

• GW1.jpg
    GW1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 87
  • GW2.jpg
    GW2.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 83
  • GW3.jpg
    GW3.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 91
Early Purples

Yes - my local wood seems full of them - spotted my first common twyblade of the year

Attachments

• epurpv22.jpg
    epurpv22.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 98
  • twybv2.jpg
    twybv2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back