• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (5 Viewers)

[

There is an awful lot of info available in publications and online that people who are interested enough can search for and find. I don't think that giving more info, site names and directions etc, on an open forum is a good idea, this subject has previously been debated on the forum and I believe I'm repeating the consensus view. For good advice have a look at the opening post of the 2010 UK orchid season updates:-

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=172045&highlight=orchid+season+updates

PM's through this forum can be used to share information, the giver of the info can then decide if, or what, information they divulge. I've been very pleased to have given and received information via this route, I have also graciously declined some requests without ever causing offence.

Alan

Well said Alan. I feel the purpose of this thread is to give people an idea of what is in flower so that they can better time their visits if they are having to travel some distance.

I must admit I now only give out site info to people I actually know (and not always then!).

Rich M

Came across 3 early marsh orchids this afternoon just coming into flower. Wasn't even expecting to see any at this particular site as I thought it just held southerns! It was a nice unexpected find...

Four Man orchids starting to flower at single site in Warwickshire. I would give it at least two weeks for them to be in good condition. Refound Green winged orchid today at a site in Warwickshire last seen in 1987. Sadly though just one plant in ridge and furrow field. However it was a good specimen and it was recorded for the BSBI Threatened Plants Project.

Brian Laney.

Burnt tip orchids

Two specimens found at Martin down (Hants).
Three Greenwinged orchids at a nearby Dorset site.

Of note the Corfe Mullen meadow appeared to be devoid of Green wings when normally there are hundreds !. A consequence of the dry March weather perhaps.

Fly'ing

Visited a reserve in north Hampshire today - quite a few Fly orchids just coming into flower.

Quite a variable bunch with;
- one with a nice orange edge to the bottom of the lip
- a fat boy and a thin boy, and
- a golden-armed teddy bear.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5037.JPG
    IMG_5037.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5058.JPG
    IMG_5058.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5055.JPG
    IMG_5055.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 92
Fly x Bees

In deepest Zummerzet the Fly x Bees are coming into flower - counted 24 today which is a new record - and there were a couple of extra probables still in bud.

Quite a variable bunch, including this rather narrow bodied specimen.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5015.JPG
    IMG_5015.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5021.JPG
    IMG_5021.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 145
In deepest Zummerzet the Fly x Bees are coming into flower - counted 24 today which is a new record - and there were a couple of extra probables still in bud.

Quite a variable bunch, including this rather narrow bodied specimen.

Rich M

Wow! Amazing hybrid pictures. How many UK sites are know for this cross then?

How many UK sites are know for this cross then?

As far as I know this is the only current site. There used to be a site in Bristol but they haven't been seen there since the early 90's. There was also a site in Sussex but I think that was only seen the one year.

Rich M

Sword-leaved Helleborine

Now coming into flower on the Cotswolds.

Alan

Attachments

• Cotswolds, Sword-leaved.JPG
    Cotswolds, Sword-leaved.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 110
Lady's Slipper

Hi Folks, Clive and I have a trip to Silverdale planned this weekend, does anyone know the state of play with the Lady's Slippers please.

Jeff

Last edited:
Now coming into flower on the Cotswolds.

Alan

What a disappointment, what looked to be a cracking plant in the making has started to discolour. Don't know what has caused it but I've also seen a Greater Butterfly doing the same thing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• sad Sword-leaved.jpg
    sad Sword-leaved.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
What a disappointment, what looked to be a cracking plant in the making has started to discolour. Don't know what has caused it but I've also seen a Greater Butterfly doing the same thing. Any ideas?

This has been the case with the Aberdyfi population of longifolia today. Thinking it's either excessive rain or sun? Also a lot more slug damage on last year, even plants in tight bud have been munched through!

Mike.

Local Dacts

The local dacts are starting to show properly now, both Southern Marsh and Heath Spotted.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30186.JPG
    SNV30186.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 77
  • SNV30188.JPG
    SNV30188.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 83
  • SNV30203.JPG
    SNV30203.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 76
  • SNV30205.JPG
    SNV30205.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 77
Aberdyfi Sword-leaved Helleborines

Just a few of the longifolias from yesterday. Most were very badly slug damaged and/or browned and looked much better last year.

Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3626.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3648.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 74
Bird nest Orchids

Found 3 Birds Nest Orchids in Suffolk last night and 500+ Early Purple Orchids which have gone over in one wood and 6 more early Purple Orchids in another
wood

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back