• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't get the birds to visit (1 Viewer)

AmyRN

Good afternoon!

My name is Amy and I grew up with a family that "fed the birds" religiously. Anyway, I am now living in an apartment and would like to do what my family did growing up. At my house out west (still haven't sold it and that's why we live in an apartment) we fed the birds but with very minimal birds because of it being new construction and there being practically NO mature trees. Even the squirrels ignored the neighborhood.

So, our 2nd floor apartment is in a lovely old established neighborhood, so I am hoping to attract some birds and maybe a squirrel or two.

I am currently using a window feeder and after over a week, no takers! There are tons of trees and bushes around and I see the birds and squirrels everywhere in the complex. I am using a sunflower blend right now.

Could anyone suggest anything I can do to further attract the little guys? Maybe change food or feeders? Any hints. Cat TV isn't even exciting enough for my little old lady cat with the current situation.

My daughter had a similar situation when she went off to college. Her 2nd floor apartment was in an area with mature trees in the neighboring yards and she saw squirrels and a few 'town' type birds like sparrow and such close-by. She had a window feeder with sunflower seed. But she never had much luck getting birds to come to her feeder on the window of her brick building. I think the birds have to SEE the food, but first they have to be attracted to come by close enough and see it! Perhaps you could hang some tree branches/evergreen boughs near your feeder that they would be tempted to land on, then they might see the food? Sorry I don't have better suggestions - be patient and I hope you get some birds! Is your cat sitting at the window scaring them away? ;-)

I think that it might be too early. My friends with apartment window feeders say birds appear with the snow (which the current forecast for my city predicts for next Monday). I don't know what American species are the commonest at feeders, but here the Great Tits appear first and other birds follow later when they see GTs flying toward the feeder repeatedly. One has already visited my balcony but there was no feeder there, only flower pots with dwarf chilli pepper plants :)

What worked for me was putting some apples in the nylon net on the top of the highest branch I could get to. Make sure the birds see something bright and visible.

Birds are very skittish animals and it usually takes some weeks before they'll use a new feeder. So I think you just need to be patient.

Sunflower seed is probably the best seed to offer. If I were you, though, I'd add suet - in one of those little green cages. Birds and squirrels seem to love suet, especially when the weather turns cold.

Or you could offer raw (not roasted or salted) peanuts in a mesh tube feeder. Our squirrels and birds love this. It makes the birds easier to watch, too, because they have to spend some time chipping away at the nuts. With seed or suet, birds such as Chickadees just zoom in, grab and seed and zoom back to the safety of a tree.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

agree with Jeff. A week is hardly enough time. Think in terms of months, even years to establish a bird feeding station. The first reaction of wild bird is to be suspicious of anything new, is it a trap? gradually the more bold birds will start feeding, then there seems to be a bush telegraph and eventually shyer and rarer species will turn up.

Can you supply water because in freezing conditions it is just as important as food, and you might attract something which would not otherwise come to a bird feeder

agree with Jeff. A week is hardly enough time. Think in terms of months, even years to establish a bird feeding station. The first reaction of wild bird is to be suspicious of anything new, is it a trap? gradually the more bold birds will start feeding, then there seems to be a bush telegraph and eventually shyer and rarer species will turn up.

Can you supply water because in freezing conditions it is just as important as food, and you might attract something which would not otherwise come to a bird feeder

My niger feeder remained tenantless (even though it was almost adjacent to a peanut feeder, that had no problem in attracting birds) for two years!

Then the Goldfinches arrived..followed by the Siskins then the Redpolls (all regular and annual now). In ''Brambling'' years they too have taken to the niger, also Blue/Great and Coal Tit.

As Jurek mentioned...attaching apples..(hanging on a string..or even to sticks in a window box might do the trick..you just have to have patience, they'll find the food eventually.

Best of Luck...and patience. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back