• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

FLASHES POOLS

Blackbird, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Goldfinch, Magpie, Great tit, Redwing x30+, Mallard x11, Moorhen x9, Little grebe, Teal x24, Lapwing x195, Green woodpecker, Jackdaw, Pied wagtail, Black headed gull x3, Carrion crow, Coot X6, Sparrowhawk, Shoveler x6, Linnet, Goldcrest, Stock dove x5 & Common snipe (40+ flushed from the open mud area between flashes 3 & 4 by roaming cattle) (39 on water’s edge in front of water treatment plant) (17 among Lapwing flock in shallow water in front of others by wtp) (many more in reeds and grassed area between flashes 3 & 4) actually seen 108 but many more around but no Jack

Adrian

Hi Adrian - are you happy there were 108 Snipe at the Flashes and no duplication in numbers as birds were flushed; this would be the highest count at the Flashes for many a year

Yes I am very confident on the count and to be honest I would say their were a few more in the reeds I must admit I also thought that the count at the Moors was very low so probably they moved onto the Flashes for some reason.

The flushed birds flew towards the moors pool with only a couple landing in the reeds towards the Cuckoo Hide.

Yes I am very confident on the count and to be honest I would say their were a few more in the reeds I must admit I also thought that the count at the Moors was very low so probably they moved onto the Flashes for some reason.

The flushed birds flew towards the moors pool with only a couple landing in the reeds towards the Cuckoo Hide.

I wish I had your eyes kid I can only manage about 36 :t:8-P

absence makes the heart grow fonder, enjoyable afternoon with good company, here's some of Mary's photo's (TED day).

Attachments

• DSCF3539 (2).JPG
    DSCF3539 (2).JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF3537 (2).jpg
    DSCF3537 (2).jpg
    221 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF3533 (2).JPG
    DSCF3533 (2).JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF3523 (2).JPG
    DSCF3523 (2).JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF3520.JPG
    DSCF3520.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 73
five more from Mary

Attachments

• DSCF3501.JPG
    DSCF3501.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF3499.JPG
    DSCF3499.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF3496.JPG
    DSCF3496.JPG
    532.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3489.JPG
    DSCF3489.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF3486.JPG
    DSCF3486.JPG
    497.3 KB · Views: 84
Today on the reserve

Bobby O was on site from 7.30 and I arrived at 8.45.
Others on site were Andy P, Vern, Bobby P, Phil W, Janette, Keith M, Tim and Mary. So a good amount of coverage with all areas covered including Education reserve North Moors and the usual.

Although there was a nip in the air and the easterly wind strengthened throughout the day, there was not much new.
I hung around the car park for about 10 minutes and even in that short time there was a wide range of species on show.
This included all 5 species of thrush, with an obvious increase in fieldfare, goldcrest, cettis, water rail, raven, curlews, 3 species of finch and 3 species of gull overhead. Thereafter things went down hill. A skylark and a couple of redpoll went over and a large flock of goldfinch fed in the alders.
SPECIES COUNT MOORS:
GCG, little grebe 4 min, cormorant 20, shoveler 25 (6 prs + 13 males), Teal 42, tufted 21 ( a slight increase), greylag 31, coot 225, water rail 4, snipe c30, curlew 31, lapwing c200, BHG 180, herring gull small northerly movement c45, LBBG 23, buzzard, kingfisher, green woodp 2, great sp woodp, raven, jay, skylark, fieldfare 80, redwing 70, mistle thrush, grey wag 2, cettis 3 poss 4 singing, goldcrest 2, redpoll 2, goldfinch 44, bullfinch 2, chaffinch 5,

SAILING POOL: GCG 3, little grebe, coot 6, cettis w singing east side

FLASHES: Little grebe - 3rd Flash, teal 23, coot 10, snipe c22, curlew 7, lapwing 223, buzzard, stock dove 2, green woodp, plenty of thrushes along the hedgerows mostly redwing c80+, cettis 2 'trilling',
didn't stay for the roost, but some of the lads + Mary were still around after I left. B :)

No mention of Gert Corfield's photo,it was shown at the end of the 6.00 BBC news during the weather forecast a few days ago.If it passed everybody by i'm happy to publicise Gert's 10 seconds of national fame.:t:

What was the subject of Gert's photo Chris?

Bobby O was on site from 7.30 and I arrived at 8.45.
Others on site were Andy P, Vern, Bobby P, Phil W, Janette, Keith M, Tim and Mary. So a good amount of coverage with all areas covered including Education reserve North Moors and the usual.

Although there was a nip in the air and the easterly wind strengthened throughout the day, there was not much new.
I hung around the car park for about 10 minutes and even in that short time there was a wide range of species on show.
This included all 5 species of thrush, with an obvious increase in fieldfare, goldcrest, cettis, water rail, raven, curlews, 3 species of finch and 3 species of gull overhead. Thereafter things went down hill. A skylark and a couple of redpoll went over and a large flock of goldfinch fed in the alders.
SPECIES COUNT MOORS:
GCG, little grebe 4 min, cormorant 20, shoveler 25 (6 prs + 13 males), Teal 42, tufted 21 ( a slight increase), greylag 31, coot 225, water rail 4, snipe c30, curlew 31, lapwing c200, BHG 180, herring gull small northerly movement c45, LBBG 23, buzzard, kingfisher, green woodp 2, great sp woodp, raven, jay, skylark, fieldfare 80, redwing 70, mistle thrush, grey wag 2, cettis 3 poss 4 singing, goldcrest 2, redpoll 2, goldfinch 44, bullfinch 2, chaffinch 5,

SAILING POOL: GCG 3, little grebe, coot 6, cettis w singing east side

FLASHES: Little grebe - 3rd Flash, teal 23, coot 10, snipe c22, curlew 7, lapwing 223, buzzard, stock dove 2, green woodp, plenty of thrushes along the hedgerows mostly redwing c80+, cettis 2 'trilling',
didn't stay for the roost, but some of the lads + Mary were still around after I left. B :)

In addition to the above sightings a Jack Snipe was seen feeding in the cut grass at the southern end of the 2nd Flash, a Grey Wagtail landed briefly, 13 Curlews (were there really 31 at the Moors Pool earlier?), c200 BHGs and 2 LBBGs came in to roost.

In the Education Reserve this morning I had a Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Jay, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker and a Raven over. A Mistle Thrush flew over the Salwarpe calling, whilst 10 Fieldfare and 12 Redwing were noted along the path from the road to the Jacobs' Hide.

In addition to the above sightings a Jack Snipe was seen feeding in the cut grass at the southern end of the 2nd Flash, a Grey Wagtail landed briefly, 13 Curlews (were there really 31 at the Moors Pool earlier?), c200 BHGs and 2 LBBGs came in to roost.

In the Education Reserve this morning I had a Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Jay, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker and a Raven over. A Mistle Thrush flew over the Salwarpe calling, whilst 10 Fieldfare and 12 Redwing were noted along the path from the road to the Jacobs' Hide.

me thinks that John boi has had to many milky bars 8-P

I dont know my Dairy milk from my Milky bar....13 curlews it is. 8-P

Had a nice but quiet afternoon at Upton.

At the Moors there were a few geese, loads of teal, good numbers of shoveler, a little egret, 2 Herons, water rail, 3 snipe, lapwings, 2 curlew, green woodpecker, a female Black cap, several flocks of fieldfare's and redwings and goldfinches.

Sailing pool there were 3 great crested grebes and a kingfisher,

Flashes was very quiet indeed apart from large flocks of lapwings, gulls and thrushes there very little else. There were mallards, teal, gadwall, coots, moorhens, about 10 snipe, 2 grey wagtails and a few starlings.

A quiet but non-the-less enjoyable afternoon.

Had a nice but quiet afternoon at Upton.

At the Moors there were a few geese, loads of teal, good numbers of shoveler, a little egret, 2 Herons, water rail, 3 snipe, lapwings, 2 curlew, green woodpecker, a female Black cap, several flocks of fieldfare's and redwings and goldfinches.

Sailing pool there were 3 great crested grebes and a kingfisher,

Flashes was very quiet indeed apart from large flocks of lapwings, gulls and thrushes there very little else. There were mallards, teal, gadwall, coots, moorhens, about 10 snipe, 2 grey wagtails and a few starlings.

A quiet but non-the-less enjoyable afternoon.

The first Little Egret for several weeks following the prolonged presence that stretched back to late summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back