• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spottinc scope - survey (1 Viewer)

miksik

photo and birds lover
Spotting scope - survey

I am now searching for "the best" spotting scope. The best of course means the best according experience of users. And, of course, regarding price.

I would like ask you to participate in some short survey. Of course it is anonymous. I think that result will be interesting for many other birdwatchers/ornithologists so after 2 weeks I will publish it.

Spotting scope - what is the best one(s)? Please write your experience

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
I am now searching for "the best" spotting scope. The best of course means the best according experience of users. And, of course, regarding price.

Honestly, I can't imagine how your poll will help you. All of the expensive scopes are great, and the later ones in the list are brands, not scopes.

I like the combo of Nikon 50ED with 27xWF and Nikon 82ED with 30xDS (plus 25-75x zoom for rare occasions when I need brighter or more magnification). I got both new, the former back when available body only for $420, and the latter recently (after discontinued) for $900 including the 25-75x zoom. The other eyepieces I also bought new at times when perhaps Nikon was clearing stock or considering their discontinuance, so they were only $70 each I think. I don't think it is likely you could replicate my experience with buying new today, but you might come close on the used market. These scopes are optically excellent, the big one is super durable, and even when they sold for closer to list price they were a bargain compared to other top scopes.

--AP

Last edited:
Excuse me, but after two comments I added Opticron scope. Sorry for my mistake but I never saw it at Czech republic :-(

I like the combo of Nikon 50ED with 27xWF and Nikon 82ED with 30xDS (plus 25-75x zoom for rare occasions when I need brighter or more magnification). I got both new, the former back when available body only for $420, and the latter recently (after discontinued) for $900 including the 25-75x zoom. The other eyepieces I also bought new at times when perhaps Nikon was clearing stock or considering their discontinuance, so they were only $70 each I think. I don't think it is likely you could replicate my experience with buying new today, but you might come close on the used market. These scopes are optically excellent, the big one is super durable, and even when they sold for closer to list price they were a bargain compared to other top scopes.

--AP

Thank you for your advice!

Honestly, I can't imagine how your poll will help you. All of the expensive scopes are great, and the later ones in the list are brands, not scopes.

--AP
I think that in principle you could be right (expensive means great) BUT I think that many times you pay for sign and not for quality.

At the list I write brands, but it means ED scopes, so high-end of scopes from each manufacturer.

For all who are interested in right choice of spotting scope - this is test of american hunters. Winner was Swarovski, next Meopta (2-times cheaper) following by Leica. Next are Kowa, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon... Regarding value of performance/price Meopta was winner. Interesting...
It was interesting to read it. http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/bes-spotting-scopes-of-2013/

Results of survey is possible to see at my webpages - you can see results of two survey - at Czech republic and at the World. Briefly - winner is Swarovski (no surprise), in Czech Republic Meopta (also no surprise). Unfortunately not many people attend in these surveys. I would like express my deep thanks to all participants.

I think your question was rather naiive.

Better question is....whats the best scope i can get at x price.

As you mentioned there are local variations. eg vixen opticron etc

IF you want value for money then dont look at just `birding` scopes. if you av a few grand to throw away then its an easy question.

or is this some sort of academic question? are we just lemmings jumpin off a survey cliff?

Last edited:
I think your question was rather naiive.

Better question is....whats the best scope i can get at x price.

As you mentioned there are local variations. eg vixen opticron etc

IF you want value for money then dont look at just `birding` scopes. if you av a few grand to throw away then its an easy question.

or is this some sort of academic question? are we just lemmings jumpin off a survey cliff?

Thank you for your response. However I think that it is not only question of money. I made a broad search at web, various reviews etc. but I think that it is interesting to know experiences of users of various scopes.

The question for me is not academic. So now I made my personal decision - I will buy Meopta S2.

Congratulations on your choice, I have the S2 with 30-60x zoom and am very happy with it.

Are you going to buy it from a shop in the Czech Republic ? I found it more expensive there than in other places in EU.

I bought mine from optics-pro.de.

Anders

--AP

Alexis:

I agree with you, as I own the same scopes you have mentioned here.

The ED50 is a very nice light scope, and every time I look through mine
it gives me a wow. I say to myself, this thing is very good.

I also have the ED82, and the eyepieces interchange so that is very
nice. The 82 offers a great, bright view, and it has a very high
ranking when you look at reviews.

These 2 scopes are all I need, as my scope time, does not compare
to my binocular use.

Jerry

Congratulations on your choice, I have the S2 with 30-60x zoom and am very happy with it.

Are you going to buy it from a shop in the Czech Republic ? I found it more expensive there than in other places in EU.

I bought mine from optics-pro.de.

Anders

Thank you very much! It's great that you have good experiences with this scope.

Surprisingly, as in Czech Republic we have any advanced devices (lens, camera etc.) more expensive than in other EU countries, it is not the case of Meopta. Probably because it is Czech company. AND now I have a special discount 25% - so price is excellent!

Hello Miksik,

Can you tell me something about the optic quality and type of view of the former top Meopta Spotting Scope, the APO S1 vs. the S2? Have you seen the S1?
Thanks!

PAHA

Hello Miksik,

Can you tell me something about the optic quality and type of view of the former top Meopta Spotting Scope, the APO S1 vs. the S2? Have you seen the S1?
Thanks!

PAHA

Hello,

I didn't make any "scientific" comparison. As I know from people and internet, S1 (there are two types - S1 75 and S1 75HD) is a very good scope but S2 (82 HD) is excellent (comparable to Swarovski). For the type of view (what do you think - angled or straight? there are both). For details see Meopta web

Miksik,
25% that is good.
I am looking for the 20-70x zoom and it is nice to have, not need s t s.
Hoping for black friday discount on that but that is not likely to happen.
In usa you can buy it for only 399usd and get better warranty.
That is a bit unfair to us in europe.

Anders

Miksik,
25% that is good.
I am looking for the 20-70x zoom and it is nice to have, not need s t s.
Hoping for black friday discount on that but that is not likely to happen.
In usa you can buy it for only 399usd and get better warranty.
That is a bit unfair to us in europe.

Anders

Anders,

do you think that 20-70 is better then 30-60W? It is really interesting for me - I think that I have the last few days for changing because Meopta said me that they will have 30-60 after some 1-2 weeks (maybe it is large interesting for it?). of course it is a question of magnification but I mean optical quality for e.g. digiscopping.

Thanks

Ivan

Thank you Miksik!

I allready have the S1 APO (or HD). I bought it with the 20-60x eyepiece plus the 30x Wide Angle.
In relation to your question, I think the WW Angle 30-60x zoom for the S2 would be fantastic!!! The wide angle in a spotting scope, at these quality levels, is a big plus.

Thank you again!

PHA

Miksik,

I haven't tried the 20-70 but if Kimmo "Kabsetz" says it is ok, it is worth trying.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3034473&postcount=5
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2905192&postcount=8
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2847188&postcount=6

Well we can't get enough of both magnification and FOV so what to do...buy both ..in time :)

I don't know if 20-70 is as good for digiscoping as the 30-60 but I would be surprised if it was not....

Can't you buy both and return one...if you can....need vs want...:smoke:

You have a nice web site...I like the photo with the heron and its wing touches the water.

Anders

Last edited:
From my readings...the Meopta is also made in the United States right outside of NYC. So if you purchase one here in the states, you are actually purchasing the exact scope made in Czech Republic with same high standards but it is made in America. Not a bad trade-off for those wanting to buy American.

I have also read that the reason the Meopta is made in the America is due to the US Military requesting this, although I cannot confirm that....

From what I see....this scope is excellent/alpha. A bit on the large side when compared to a Swaro but it does have the same centric focusing as a Swaro. Not as versatile 'in options' available as the new Swaro but in a practical sense, will anyone truly utilize the options that the swaro system has to offer?

Another great scope option might be the Opticron GA series of scopes as that is one scope manufacturer that is attempting to enter the Alpha market and is 'not made in China'.... always a plus in my thinking. The downside to that scope is in the min focus as well as it does not have a helical focal design like the Swaro or Meopta

Miksik,

I don't know if 20-70 is as good for digiscoping as the 30-60 but I would be surprised if it was not....

Anders

In my experience....good digiscoping is done best at the lower end of the scope range so a 20 would appear to be better than a 30x in my humble opinion....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back